1.    #1  
    I am wondering if the Pre has PAN support built in. If so, then it would seem all you would need is a NAT application of some sort to turn it into a router.

In any case, the PC would be able to tell us what services the Pre is advertising.
    From what I understand, the Pre is pretty limited in what Bluetooth profiles it supports at launch. I don't even think it supports OBEX file transfer yet (as mentioned in some reviews by saying you can't send contacts to a car kit.)
  3.    #3  
    I wonder if 1.0.2 firmware changed any of that... We haven't seen the release notes for it in any case...
    1.0.2 doesn't seem to have OBEX support, either. Although I should say my 755p could see the Pre as "Unnamed phone" and could add it to its trusted device list (send a passcode that then is recognized by and repeated on the Pre), however, the trusted device name simply comes up as the Bluetooth MAC address. Even after that, still obex push doesn't seem to work (I tried sending my entire calendar...)

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Nope...Its not working for me either.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Can anyone tell me the benefits of pairing with your laptop? I did it and am not quite sure what functionality this adds to my life...
  7. kjb
    Palm has a history of not having OBEX support on their phones. Pretty stupid these days. I would love to be wrong about this, so if someone knows better PLEASE correct me and show me how it is done.
    Keith
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I am wondering if the Pre has PAN support built in. If so, then it would seem all you would need is a NAT application of some sort to turn it into a router.

In any case, the PC would be able to tell us what services the Pre is advertising.
    i tried pairing it to my mac and its a no go! my macbook recognizes the pre but the pre doesn't recognize the macbook... quite crappy if you ask me!!!!!! my blackberry bold did that just fine
    It works... google for palm pre tether and you'll find a guide
    I have no problem transferring files between my Centro and Macbook using BT. So I believe Palm has implemented OBEX in the past. Just a matter of time before the Pre gets it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    Palm has a history of not having OBEX support on their phones. Pretty stupid these days. I would love to be wrong about this, so if someone knows better PLEASE correct me and show me how it is done.
    Keith
    You are completely wrong about this. PalmOS has great OBEX support
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I've tried pairing Pre + Lenovo X61t and it fails even with 1.03.
    It pairs fine with my macbook pro but the bluetooth network disconnected on me. Before it would connect and just come up with an error on the phone.

OK what the heck, I just tethered and loaded google????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I thought it was tethering, I guess I was wrong... looks like its sharing my wi-fi signal through the pre via bluetooth. I still have the verizon IP with wi-fi disabled on my mac.
    Sorry for the 3rd post in a row. Just wanted to share the screenshot of what happens when you try and tether without modifying anything through a linux shell:

What I think this means is that my account doesn't have PAM add-on so sprint is denying me to connect. But I haven't seen anywhere if you can add PAM to the everything plans. They have a data only plan, but its limited to 5GB a month and you are charged per minute for voice: Sprint Relay Store - Welcome!