Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I just don't see how anyone would be dumb enough to pay such a premium price for a basic USB AC or car adapter. $32 for a car USB adapter? 35$ for AC usb? It's almost laughable...AC and car adapters can be easily had for $5-7. I mean, all it takes is the 5V DC from the USB and a micro-USB cable, right? I can wait a few days for shipping if needed...
    You can say that about peripherals for any phone from any carrier.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    true, but I guess I'm used to proprietary cable and the such whereas this is simply micro USB. I guess I needed to vent a little after reading that the touchstone wasn't coming with its own power adapter.
    Cables have always been big profits because of huge markups. Another case of this is in the home theater market. Do you really think the $125 monster HDMI cable you buy at Best Buy is any different than the $4 one on monoprice?

The profit margins on the subsidized phones is usually small but the stores make up with the accessories.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ^ Nope...all my HT cables are from Monoprice I would be willing to shell out extra for the car adapter if I knew it had ground loop protection to keep a hum/buzz from making it's way to my stereo system if I were to use the Pre for streaming music, etc..
    I am too new to post links, but User Galtish posted info on Micro USB cables at monoprice.com. Great site with many very inexpensive items - and inexpensive shipping. Just search Micro USB.

If you need a Car A Charger, they sell one for the Razr2 (which uses the same Micro USB) for $1.53. Search Razr2 car charger.
    Here's something I'm curious about. The Pre manual stated that it would take longer to charge via computer than it would using the AC adapter. But if the AC adapter is sending the same 5 volts why would it? I'm wondering if the palm/sprint branded stuff sends out more than 5 volts.
    It is not voltage, but current. A powered USB 2 port supplies up to 500MA whereas A/C adapters and many car adapters supply 1000MA (1 amp). Wikipedia has a good description of all this, if a bit technical.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt26 View Post
    I am too new to post links, but User Galtish posted info on Micro USB cables at monoprice.com. Great site with many very inexpensive items - and inexpensive shipping. Just search Micro USB.

If you need a Car A Charger, they sell one for the Razr2 (which uses the same Micro USB) for $1.53. Search Razr2 car charger.
    yeah. I've been going to Monoprice for a while. Just picked up the car adapter and a 10ft micro USB cable for $3 the office since my computer /power outlet is a good distance away. Even if the car adapter doesn't work out, it was only $2.

Anyone know what the rating on the palm/Sprint AC adapter is? 1000mA?
    I belieive it is 1000MA, but I cannot find the link. Fommy.com is selling several power adapters for the Pre, including the Touchstone, and actual Sprint AC and Car adapters.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same thing (albeit a little less sexy) as the AC adapter provided?
    These comments suggest, I could put a Touchstone in my car and use the car adapter for charging. Is that accurate?
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    These comments suggest, I could put a Touchstone in my car and use the car adapter for charging. Is that accurate?
    Yes but it probably won't hold while you are driving.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I always snicker when I see the reps selling ppl over priced accessories at the celll phone stores. I think the SD cards are the biggest ripoffs.

Some items can be had for cheap in-store if you have a corp discount. I'll often opt to get at least some protective case for a new phone so that I'm not tempted to use it naked.
    Does anyone have links for some good generic 1000mA AC adapters? I have some 750mA Blackberry microUSB chargers, but if the 1A adapters are cheap I wouldnt mind upgrading.