1.    #1  
    I understand that the back of the phone has to be changed when you purchase the touchstone charging dock...but seen that there has been multiple reports of other touchstone products, will they each require their own back.

Basically my question is that if they come out with a touchstone product to allow for data transfer (such as plugging it into your computer), would they require another battery back for it to work or would it come bundled with the charging dock?
    I believe the need of the matte back is because it contains the magnet that aligns the Pre with the Touchstone dock. Also, because the regular back would get scratched up with its glossy finish.

Theoretically, I believe you don't even need the matte back if you could lay the Pre on the charger just right. I mean your not changing the technology with the matte back, the battery comes with that functionality out of the box. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $of$ $course$.

Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    Basically my question is that if they come out with a touchstone product to allow for data transfer (such as plugging it into your computer), would they require another battery back for it to work or would it come bundled with the charging dock?
    I don't think file transfer is possible through magnetic induction. I think that will be done via Bluetooth.
    Last edited by CHEEZM03; 05/31/2009 at 01:14 AM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    I believe the need of the matte back is because it contains the magnet that aligns the Pre with the Touchstone dock. Also, because the regular back would get scratched up with its glossy finish.

Theoretically, I believe you don't even need the matte back if you could lay the Pre on the charger just right. I mean your not changing the technology with the matte back, the battery comes with that functionality out of the box. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $of$ $course$.
    I think the Touchstone back also contains the receiver coil for inductive charging. So you really do need the back, above and beyond the friction issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I think the Touchstone back also contains the receiver coil for inductive charging. So you really do need the back, above and beyond the friction issue.
    Yep, there's a picture somewhere that shows the back with the coil on it. Definitely have to have the back for the Touchstone to work.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    I think that their ideal behind Touchstone is that it will be an easy universal charging solution. So your Pre or Eos or whatever new Palm device with a Touchstone back will be able to charge on the desktop dock or a car dock or a bluetooth speaker system or whatever.

Induction charging is just power, modifying it to transmit data is an entirely different matter. The only way that I can see a Touchstone dock with data transfer is if they were to add a specialized sync-when-docked bluetooth module, and given the goal of splitting from the computer as much as possible, I don't see that as being a high priority from Palm.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright