Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Got my gold plated cables today i mentioned earlier. Shaved em down so it fits in the touchstone, and i would like to confirm that they do work with the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I picked up my order form Monoprice today and wanted to share my experience. Here is what I ordered.

4) 3540 Wall adapters in black
    4) 4868 6' USB cables
    4) 3523 Car Chargers
    1) 2998 7 port USB hub

The USB cables connected my Pre to my computer and charged it flawlessly. The car chargers started charging the Pre immediately. The wall adapters I had problems with. They would only charge sporadically as I was testing them, taking one out and trying the next one, etc. Many times I could not get them to charge the Pre at all. This was happening on 2 different Pres.

After nearly giving up on them I discovered the problem. They wouldn't begin charging the Pre unless the slider was open first. Normally I have to open the slider to get the USB port open, but during my testing I had closed it. If I plug it in closed it won't charge, I have to unplug it, open the keyboard, then plug it in. Once it begins charging I can close it again and it continues charging. I haven't read about anyone else having this issue, is it just me?
    Interesting discovery about the wall chargers... first I've heard of that happening.

Please let us know how you fare with using the car chargers while streaming Pandora and using Sprint Navigation. Do they continue to charge the phone under that type of load? Do they become too hot to touch and cause concern? Do they simply work "perfectly"?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkolodz1 View Post
    Thanks.

Just got a usb car cahrger and two usb to micro cords, 6 feet. Total with shpping $8.00. Can leave my cord at home, have an extra at the office and a car charger.
    Just thought I would follow up. all the cords I have work perfectly. I have only used the car charger for a short distance but i went up 12% in 20 mins.
    $8 well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caromsoft View Post
    I picked up my order form Monoprice today and wanted to share my experience. Here is what I ordered.

4) 3540 Wall adapters in black
    4) 4868 6' USB cables
    4) 3523 Car Chargers
    1) 2998 7 port USB hub

The USB cables connected my Pre to my computer and charged it flawlessly. The car chargers started charging the Pre immediately. The wall adapters I had problems with. They would only charge sporadically as I was testing them, taking one out and trying the next one, etc. Many times I could not get them to charge the Pre at all. This was happening on 2 different Pres.

After nearly giving up on them I discovered the problem. They wouldn't begin charging the Pre unless the slider was open first. Normally I have to open the slider to get the USB port open, but during my testing I had closed it. If I plug it in closed it won't charge, I have to unplug it, open the keyboard, then plug it in. Once it begins charging I can close it again and it continues charging. I haven't read about anyone else having this issue, is it just me?
    Last night when charging with my monoprice wall adapter I noticed it was stuck at 16%. It is really flakey.

When using the modded USB cable it started charinging immediately.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Interesting discovery about the wall chargers... first I've heard of that happening.

Please let us know how you fare with using the car chargers while streaming Pandora and using Sprint Navigation. Do they continue to charge the phone under that type of load? Do they become too hot to touch and cause concern? Do they simply work "perfectly"?
    I ran this test for you tonight

Running Sprint Navigation and Pandora plugged into the car charger I went about 30 minutes. My battery level starting out was 54% and at the end was 66%. Both the charger and the Pre were pretty warm to the touch but not too hard to hold, in fact I had the Pre in my hand the whole time.

It's interesting that the navigation will soften the music during voice prompts, really too much to still hear it, at least through the Pres speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by eerongal View Post
    Got my gold plated cables today i mentioned earlier. Shaved em down so it fits in the touchstone, and i would like to confirm that they do work with the touchstone.
    Which wall plug adapter are you using with the Monoprice USB cable and Touchstone? Palm or other?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I order:
    ID: 5457 X 2 (3 ft. gold plated USB cable)

ID: 3540 (AC adapter)

ID: 3523 (Car Cig. Lighter adapter)

First the cables worked great for connecting to the PC and transferring files...love them! I bought 2 because I wanted to test one of them with my Touchstone. I did have to shave it down a bit but once I did and got it fully inserted...it worked fine with my Palm AC adapter that came with my Touchstone.

Next I tried the unaltered cable and the Monoprice power adapter and it did charge the Pre when directly connected to it. So...next I tried this same Monoprice AC adapter with the altered (Shaved down) cable inserted into the Touchstone base and it would not work. Leading me to conclude it wont power the Touchstone for whatever reason.

An interesting note though...I had another USB AC power adapter from my HTC Touch that went to the wife when I got the Pre. Soooo...I tried the HTC AC power adapter with the altered Monoprice (shaved down) cable inserted into the Touchstone base and TA-DA!!! IT WORKED! So, I'm giving the Monoprice power adapter to the wife to use to charge the HTC...I tested it...it works fine the the HTC phone...and I will use the HTC AC adapter to operate my second Touchstone base once I they come in and are available for purchase.

Finally...I used one of the unaltered cables and the Car Cig. lighter adapter and it too worked fine to charge the Pre when Directly connected to it....I didn't test it with the Touchstone base, as I wont have any need for a Third Touchstone for use in my car...it wont stick to my leather (could velcro it I suppose) and I would worry it would fall off my dash if I hit a pot hole or something that jarred the vehicle suddenly.
    When using the cig. adapter, did you try steaming Pandora and using Sprint Nav at the same time? If so, did it continue to charge your pre? Did the pre get really hot?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    No I didn't....I use my ipod for music. I will test later on my way home from work though. I am also curious to see what load it can handle before it fails to atleast maintain the present charge.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    OK...update:

I left work this evening with a current batter level of 83% and started sprint Nav and Pandora...plugged it into my cig. lighter setup (as described earlier) and started the 20 min. drive home with Pandora playing in the background while Sprint Nav was full screen and giving me directions home. Twenty min's later when I pulled into my drive, I could tell already it was a success. The battery indicator had turned from gray to green a bit earlier during the drive...checking it showed a battery level of 93% now. So...20 min's later with a load of Pandora and Sprint Nav...it still charged it 10%! The unit was warm...but not hot...certainly not noticeably hotter than it gets on its own power doing this much intensive stuff. I'm terribly happy with my purchase!
    I use monoprice for most of my cables. They are great and the quality of their cables has been great (it's where I get my HDMI cables). Just keep in mind that when you pay a buck for a cable, they may not always work. I bought a few of these micro USB's, the gold plated ones and one of the 4 that I bought didn't work. Paying only a dollar for it, I just thew it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gack
    I left work this evening with a current batter level of 83% and started sprint Nav and Pandora...plugged it into my cig. lighter setup (as described earlier) and started the 20 min. drive home with Pandora playing in the background while Sprint Nav was full screen and giving me directions home. Twenty min's later when I pulled into my drive, I could tell already it was a success. The battery indicator had turned from gray to green a bit earlier during the drive...checking it showed a battery level of 93% now. So...20 min's later with a load of Pandora and Sprint Nav...it still charged it 10%! The unit was warm...but not hot...certainly not noticeably hotter than it gets on its own power doing this much intensive stuff. I'm terribly happy with my purchase!
    Unfortunately, I had no such luck with my monoprice car chargers when using Pandora and SprintNav. I lost about 1% charge every 1-3 minutes. They definitely slowed down the battery drain but I need a more powerful car CHARGER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gack View Post
    OK...update:

Curious, with the car/wall charger and cables you bought did it start charging right away or did it take a while for it to recognize the cable was plugged in?
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    Curious, with the car/wall charger and cables you bought did it start charging right away or did it take a while for it to recognize the cable was plugged in?
    When connected to my monoprice car charger or usb->pc my Palm Pre is recognized instantly. When I use the monoprice wall adapter+cable, however, it takes like 3 seconds for it to start charging.
    My Pre recognizes the monoprice car charger instantly but simply will not charge (although it says it is) when using Pandora and Sprint Nav simultaneously. It will charge (very slowly) if only using one of those apps.
    thats scary to hear 2 conflicting reports. i was really set on ordering the same components @Gack mentioned, but not so sure now. I know the car charger i have right now (some cheapo generic brand) aint charging enough when using the palm micro usb cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    thats scary to hear 2 conflicting reports. i was really set on ordering the same components @Gack mentioned, but not so sure now. I know the car charger i have right now (some cheapo generic brand) aint charging enough when using the palm micro usb cable.
    Me too...I registered at Monoprice and filled my basket, not it just sits in waiting.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    No, but I created a new thread about it, hopefully there's some users out there.
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1724554
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast