Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Has anyone confirmed these car charger ones work with the Touchstone in the car?

That's what I want to do..
    i got my mono price order in today... so everything worked like a charm and i did not have any delay in the time when charging started... thats all the cabels and the car charger to usb port thing. as for the wall charger out of the box it seemed really cheap and did not work... i took it apart to find out what the deal is it was cheap enough that returning it wasnt worth my time. the cord that supposed to be sodered on to one of the prongs was not. i attempted to soder it on but i have no experince in the field and such small space i failed missrably and just tossed the d@mn thing. kinda annoying but maybe i just got a lemon all in all it was made really cheap not as nice as the palm oem one by any means but i think i will order another one considering how cheap it is... worth a shot.

Although the wall charger was cheaply made the cords are pretty high quality.

ps when i maneuvered it right and the wire did touch the prong momentary it did charge right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    i got my mono price order in today... so everything worked like a charm and i did not have any delay in the time when charging started... thats all the cabels and the car charger to usb port thing. as for the wall charger out of the box it seemed really cheap and did not work... i took it apart to find out what the deal is it was cheap enough that returning it wasnt worth my time. the cord that supposed to be sodered on to one of the prongs was not. i attempted to soder it on but i have no experince in the field and such small space i failed missrably and just tossed the d@mn thing. kinda annoying but maybe i just got a lemon all in all it was made really cheap not as nice as the palm oem one by any means but i think i will order another one considering how cheap it is... worth a shot.

ps when i maneuvered it right and the wire did touch the prong momentary it did charge right away.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you mind providing us links to the items that you ordered, jack87?
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you mind providing us links to the items that you ordered, jack87?
    Here is everything I ordered. It all works perfectly.
    Just search on the PID (first number).

4874 - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - White

3540 - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - Black

3523 - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black

5137 - 1.5 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable

4867 - 3 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable

4868 - 6 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable

5139 - 10 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable

The wall charger both have the same molding (like the white's picture).
    The picture is not correct for the black one. Which was why I ordered the white...

I spent $29.64 at monoprice and received 6 cables (2 of each length), 2 wall chargers and 3 car chargers.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 06/18/2009 at 02:29 PM.
    Desert silver.... oi ordered the same items as gman listed above except no white charger and no 10 ft cabel
    Thanks for the info. I placed an order for a few cables & chargers.

It's a little crazy that we're kinda having to scrounge around to get us power for getting through the day but it's nice having a site like Monoprice having inexpensive products to fulfill our needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    I can confirm that both of the above are the USB cables that arrived today. Both of them plug into my laptop and charge/media sync/USB Drive without any problems. Without problems (defined): means itunes synced my new songs, the Pre was able to charge and let me play w/o any side effects, and I was able to browse the pre and delete photos w/o any problem.

I am still on a waitlist for my touchstone however earlier this afternoon a sprint rep called and said there was a good chance he would have one for me tomorrow 6/16. (I'll keep everyone posted)

Edit: Pending on where your USB ports are on your computer I would use a string to be sure 1.5 ft is enough. (I use a 14 inch laptop so its perfect for me, yet I can easily see many people buying the 1.5 ft cable and have it not be long enough)

Did you get your touchstone yet? Im anxious to hear your results.
    did anyone confirm those gold usb cables work with touchstone?

anyone have good experience with the wall/car chargers?
    I got my order from Monoprice today, and confirmed what works. As has been stated before, some aftermarket charging solutions don't work or there is a lag before the charging indicator comes on. I had a car charger and an A/C charger that worked, but only after a delay. (Click image to enlarge)

Chargers.jpg
    I purchased the following:
    4868 6 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable $2.28
    4960 Motorola V8, V9 Series Car Charger for RAZR2 $1.53
    3540 High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - Black $1.90
    3523 Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black $0.97

1. Cable works perfectly - tested in computer, A/C chargers and Pre A/C charger. Works identical to cable that came with Pre.
    2. Motorola V8 car charger - started charging instantly. It did take a few seconds another time, but nothing like pervious aftermarket charger.
    3. Wall Charger - there is a short lag before it starts charging, but much better than another wall charger I have.
    4. USB port Car Charger - starts charging instantly.

Quality: Cables look 1st rate. Car chargers & A/C adapter seem pretty cheaply made but OK.

So - for under $10 delivered you can have a solution that works well!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitshifter1001 View Post
    Did you get your touchstone yet? Im anxious to hear your results.
    No I have not, I at least browse the forum each day and once my touchstone arrives I will post a reply.
    Got my order today. I am so relieved the car adapter worked flawlessly. I might have a problem with my wall adapter (3540). It takes about 20 seconds for my pre to aknowledge it and begin charging and it chargers slower than the oem wall adapter. Any thoughts? The car charger charges just as fast as the oem wall charger.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I just ordered the gold connector cables. I have a touchstone, so when it gets here I'll let you guys know if it works (unless someone else finds out first)

I had em second day air'd, so hopefully they'll be here by monday or tuesday (stupid weekends :P )
    Quote Originally Posted by wwood_98 View Post
    Any thoughts about filing down, or otherwise modifying the Touchstone's USB receptacle to more easily accommodate the male USB micro plug? (instead of filing the micro plug itself)
    I have seen adapters in walmart that go from normal USB to USB micro. I do not ahve a touchstone so I have not tested it, but maybe you can use that with a normal USB?
    Just ordered 3 chargers (2 AC and 1 car). Strangely, the gold cables were far cheaper than the regular cables when I ordered last night!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    did anyone confirm those gold usb cables work with touchstone?
    Niether the 1.5 or 6 ft gold plated usb cables fit into the touchstone port(that thing is tiny!)
    However like already mentioned they do charge the pre great via usb.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post

FYI, monoprice has great customer support. Login to your account and do an rma, they will send you out a replacement no charge and you can keep the old one. I just did this for a DOA cable.

So when you got the wall charger working, it was recognized by the pre instantly? Mine has a delay so I wonder if there is something wrong with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Niether the 1.5 or 6 ft gold plated usb cables fit into the touchstone port(that thing is tiny!)
    However like already mentioned they do charge the pre great via usb.
    These cables don't fit, but can easily be filed down to do so, and then they work great with the Touchstone.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    You guys, there is already another thread about working/non-working Touchstone 3rd party power adapters. It has already been confirmed that both the monoprice AC and Car chargers do not work with the Touchstone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Do they charge just as fast as the stock wall charger/cables?

I found a cool universal dash mount from mono price that might work for the pre:

products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10840&cs_id=1084001&p_id=5272&seq=1&format=2]For only $2.62 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Universal GPS Car Mount Holder | For Garmin
    I took the gamble and ordered this. I can confirm that it DOES work for the pre and is a steal at that price.

I also ordered a bunch of Micro USB cables and they all work. I ordered the white pulg in adapter and they shipped the black one. It takes about 2 seconds to initiate but it also works. The car pulg in charges right away.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    As any gadget nerd/addict knows, Monoprice is one of humanity's great achievements. I love them. Just be careful what you do with your knowledge. Don't go telling your friend who just dropped $60 on an HDMI cable that he could have spent $10 online and gotten two.