Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Yeah MonoPrice is the go-to place for any cable ever made. I love their low cost HDMI cables
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    Just wanted to comment. You cannot plug the Touchstone into the PC to be used as a dock.

The Touchstone instructions clearly say DO NOT ATTEMPT to plug the Touchstone into the PC and try and charge the phone like that. It will not work and will cause damage.

Just wanted everyone to know that and what is in the printed documentation, just in case!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by jiron2000 View Post
    I just got my shipment from Monoprice and my Pre is acting weird.

First when I used the Mono USB cable I need to push it firmly before the phone begins charging. The Palm supplied cable just slips in and starts charging.

When charging the touchscreen goes crazy. I touch the screen with one finger and hold it down and I get false taps all over the screen. This is clearly apparent when I run the screen hardware interactive test, hold down my finger on one square and a bunch of square all over the grid start lighting up. I could post some video if needed.

I never had any other issues with my Pre. Did I get the wrong cables, chargers? Too powerful? Something wrong with my Pre?

I bought the following for reference: (this is my first post, sorry for the lack of links)

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=4867&seq=1&format=2

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031106&p_id=4874&seq=1&format=2
    If anything, you could always get the cable replaced. You did say that with the Pre's original cables (do you have a Touchstone?) you have no issues, right?

FWIW, I haven't received my order yet (which is strange, as I've gotten orders in 2 days), and I can't wait to test their micro USB cable and see if it works with my TS, speciallly since I misplaced the original cable (thank God for the wife's Centro. Its battery works great on the Pre and I've ordered 2 on eBay already).

If anyone here has been able to get an OEM micro USB cable working with the TS, please let us know how you did it. There was someone earlier in the thread who did it by filing the end connector. I've PM the person without luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiron2000 View Post
    I just got my shipment from Monoprice and my Pre is acting weird.

First when I used the Mono USB cable I need to push it firmly before the phone begins charging. The Palm supplied cable just slips in and starts charging.

When charging the touchscreen goes crazy. I touch the screen with one finger and hold it down and I get false taps all over the screen. This is clearly apparent when I run the screen hardware interactive test, hold down my finger on one square and a bunch of square all over the grid start lighting up. I could post some video if needed.

I never had any other issues with my Pre. Did I get the wrong cables, chargers? Too powerful? Something wrong with my Pre?

I bought the following for reference: (this is my first post, sorry for the lack of links)

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=4867&seq=1&format=2

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031106&p_id=4874&seq=1&format=2
    I actually have the same issue. I got a wall-plug to Micro USB charger from somewhere else but the result is the same. I have to plug it in a few times till it charges and when it charges the touch screen gets very sensitive and even the slightest touch (even at the border or the screen) make it behave very wildly and it opens all kind of apps.

I wonder what is wrong? Incorrect plug, wrong voltage (cannot really believe that since it's standard Micro USB), or wrong Amperage?

The original Palm cable works fine with my Pre without issues.

Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    3rd party cables don't work well, and I think Palm did it on purpose to make more on their accessories. Kind of annoying, but I guese Palm is trying to make up for tons of lost profits over the last years VERY quickly. Sucks for my pocketbook, but it's going to help my Palm stock go up.

I think that it's going to take some time to get 3rd party stuff that works perfectly with the Pre. Eventually there will be lists out of what works and what doesn't and people will be able to buy the cheap stuff, but in the mean time, it's best to stick with the official Pre accessories if you can afford it.
    If that's the case it does suck a bit (someone earlier mentioned the lack of the USB logo on their box; maybe Palm is pulling this crap); good thing there's a return policy.

I'll test mine when they arrive; mostly interested in the car lighter adapter and whether I can use their micro USB with the TS.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I've been using a Belkin USB car adapter with a generic mircoUSB cable, and it works just fine (although it takes a few seconds to begin charging). They are less than $3 (shipped) on eBay, some even $2 with free shipping!
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I emailed MonoPrice, linked to this thread, and suggested that they offer some micro USB cables and power adapters that are tested and confirmed to work with the Pre and the TouchStone dock. Hope they see the sales potential and find some solutions at their normal great prices.
    Nice Galtish! If my previous experience with them is any indication, you should get some dialogue started with them soon.
    I have used monoprice.com for years for a variety of cables and have always had great experiences. Shipping is fast and the quality of the cables is amazing.

Don't let the low price fool you. A $4 monoprice cable will have the same specs as the $40 Monster Cable.

When you are getting your cables, here are a couple of things to consider:

Micro USB Cable
    The Best Buy off-brand 6' micro USB cable is $29. The upgraded monoprice.com 6' is $1.17. That's not a typo. The Monster Cable quality 6' micro USB cable is $2.47, so why not splurge? They also come in 1.5', 3', 10', and 15'.

3.5mm
    Do you also need a phono to play Pre music on your home stereo or car stereo? But wait you say, at home you would need a 50' cable. No one makes those! monoprice.com does and they are $8. The 3' are $1.60, not the $11 at Best Buy.

While, you are at monoprice.com, would you like to replace some of your other cables that are just barely long enough with great cables that are the right length? For instance HDMI cables come in yellow, red, blue, green so you can keep track of which is which going into your TV and are $4.74.

No I do not work for monoprice but love getting Monster Cable quality for a flea market price.

- Craig
    I love mono price myself and gave some hints to going to the site to get your micro USB there.

I bought 3 HDMI cables for under $30 there a while ago. So nice.
    I just ordered 4 6ft cables, 2 car USB chargers. 2 wall USB chargers, and 2 6ft 3.5mm Stereo (male to male) cords for $16 shipped! Cant wait...!
    For the two of you in the back who were following my saga of the lost Palm Pre micro USB cable (thanks for the following! ), I was looking for a replacement micro USB cable from Monoprice.

Since their cable's USB terminal is thicker than Palm's, I had to use a blade to bring the connector down to size (will post pictures later) and after 5 minutes or so, VOILÁ! IT WORKS!

At first, I guess there was a loose connection, so that the Pre would give the battery-charging chime on and off. Quickly readjusting the connection between the Touchstone and the micro USB cable solved the issue!

Now sadly, we still need an AC adaptor to use additional Touchstones without paying Palm's overpriced accessories.
    If it hasn't been mentioned already, retail cable prices are elevated because they are high profit margin items for electronic stores. It equates to a soft drink at Chili's: they charge you $1.95 for the drink, tho it only actually costs 5-10 cents. All stores have high and low margins, that's how they balance their profits. Since Monoprice specializes and makes their own cables, they can offer lower prices.

I'm not condoning high priced cables (I buy mine from Monoprice as well) but there is a method to the pricing.
    Thanks for the reminder about monoprice. Bought some extra micro USB cables and the USB car adapter.

One other product I was considering was Universal GPS Car Mount Holder - Product ID #5272 (Can't post links yet). Not sure if it'd work with the Pre or not, but I ended up deciding against it because I probably won't use it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    For the two of you in the back who were following my saga of the lost Palm Pre micro USB cable (thanks for the following! ), I was looking for a replacement micro USB cable from Monoprice.

Since their cable's USB terminal is thicker than Palm's, I had to use a blade to bring the connector down to size (will post pictures later) and after 5 minutes or so, VOILÁ! IT WORKS!

At first, I guess there was a loose connection, so that the Pre would give the battery-charging chime on and off. Quickly readjusting the connection between the Touchstone and the micro USB cable solved the issue!

Now sadly, we still need an AC adaptor to use additional Touchstones without paying Palm's overpriced accessories.
    Monoprice has those, too.

Check their PID# 4874. Less than $2.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    The Pre just has a lousy USB implementation. It won't work through a hub.

Notice how there is no Official USB logo on the packaging? That is because the Pre's USB interface will not pass USB certification. To pass, the device must work through up to 4 hubs. Each hub adds a tiny bit of signal delay that the device must deal with. You'll just have to stay away from hubs for the Pre to work.
    Seems to work fine through my monitor's hub... like the OP is having problems with... it all depends on the hub itself and the PC...

-t
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    Hi,

Sorry in advance if this sounds like an ad, but I have no affiliation with Monoprice, just trying to help save fellow Pre fanatics some cash...

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Thanks.

Just got a usb car cahrger and two usb to micro cords, 6 feet. Total with shpping $8.00. Can leave my cord at home, have an extra at the office and a car charger.
    I have been to monoprice (yes there is a place called cucamonga) they are extremely nice and helpful. I have hundreds of cables/adapters from them home and work.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Tried a motorola and nobrand one from samsclub and they wouldn't charge. Monoprice ones worked fine. But now after using the usb car charger + micro usb cable then the charger gets incredibly hot.

I'm thinking of buying an overpriced one to be safe.