Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
    I did the same thing with a monoprice cable, and it works fine with the Touchstone. Maybe yours has a loose connection because it's not all the way in... try shaving it down a little more.

Also, if the Pre isn't quite lined up on the Touchstone, it will have that same result, with the starting and stopping charging over and over. Try it again, I'm sure you can get it to work.
    Wow, this is huge for me. I lost the damn USB cable that came with the Pre and was contemplating buying one from Sprint.

I already received my Monoprice order (been using them for years, take THAT Monster Cable), so I wonder if you could show how your cable looks like after filing it down and if you have any tips.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 06/13/2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Wow, this is huge for me. I lost the damn USB cable that came with the TS and was contemplating buying one from Sprint.

I already received my Monoprice order (been using them for years, take THAT Monster Cable), so I wonder if you could show how your cable looks like after filing it down and if you have any tips.

Thanks!
    Do you mean the USB cable that came with the Pre? One didn't come with the TS. You have to use the one that was packaged with the Pre.
    You're right, I've edited my post, thanks dtokarz. I meant the USB cable that came with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    You're right, I've edited my post, thanks dtokarz. I meant the USB cable that came with the Pre.
    I'm going to get a few from monoprice. I can tell you that they have excellent products from the things I have bought in the past.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    If you need extra wall chargers and micro usb cables, monoprice.com has them for aunder a buck each. I have nothing to do with this site, I just bought them myself and can tell you that they work great with the pre!
    really nothing to do with the site? odd how its your first post. I'm certain your not some advertising bot or something right? Does that compute?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    really nothing to do with the site? odd how its your first post. I'm certain your not some advertising bot or something right? Does that compute?
    Nah, I wouldn't think so. Monoprice is a great site that many of us here have been using for a long time. They have been mentioned on various podcasts such as Buzz Out Loud and TWIT so it's not surprising that people are using them.

Feel free to buy your cables from wherever you like but I also have been buying from Monoprice for a year or two and have never had a single issue. Great products and even better prices.
    /edit: allenkt!!! But I'm posting from my Pre, cut me some slack. Pretty happy with kbd, but that's waaay OT...

Loserpunk, if you had dealt with Monoprice in the past, you'd realize thery're such a great company that they don't need any help getting word out of their service.

I should also add that PreCentral's service kicks *** too (but could we dial down the profanity filter?).
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I got a few monoprice usb car adapters but I was told its dangerous to use those cheapie ones because there's no fuse. Is that true that these have no fuse? I'd hate to blow up my $550 phone with a $1 adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    but I'm not able to get the PC to read the Pre's drive properly when I put it into mass storage mode when I plug it into the USB ports on my Dell monitor (the monitor has a built in USB hub), but it works fine when I plug it into the USB ports on the PC or my laptop directly.
    The Pre just has a lousy USB implementation. It won't work through a hub.

Notice how there is no Official USB logo on the packaging? That is because the Pre's USB interface will not pass USB certification. To pass, the device must work through up to 4 hubs. Each hub adds a tiny bit of signal delay that the device must deal with. You'll just have to stay away from hubs for the Pre to work.
    Thanks for this thread guys!! I have been using monoprice for misc cables (usually hdmi) for the past few years. I definitely need a car charger, and was considering purchasing one from Palm or some other generic manufacturer for around 20 bucks. I just 3 cables of the micro usb cables, 2 wall ac to usb adapters, and one car usb port.

I never thought of just getting the wall a/c or car usb port instead of buying one standalone charger. I had no idea they were only a buck each. Now for 12 bucks and change (including shipping) I have an extra charger for my girlfriends place, for my car, and one to carry around in my bag w/ textbooks.

Guess I don't have to spend 40 or 50 bucks on the increased capacity battery now..

Wow these are cheap. They really work? No catches?
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Thanks for the link, Galtish. I ordered 6 6-fters for our two Pres. Luckily I don't have to mess with that touchstone business so these should work fine for me
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lelalouf View Post
    If you need extra wall chargers and micro usb cables, monoprice.com has them for aunder a buck each. I have nothing to do with this site, I just bought them myself and can tell you that they work great with the pre!
    Are you sure those wall chargers will work with a device like the Pre?

For only $1.47 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - White | Power to USB Converter

The description specifically says it won't charge an iphone and many reviewers say their xx device won't charge when using this adaptor. Can anyone confirm these will charge your Pre?
    The Pre charges fine on a POWERED USB hub; I have confirmed this. Powered USB hubs come with an A/C adapter and are easily available. When you connect the cable, it instantly comes up with menu for Sync, charge, USB.

Charging will be faster with regular A/C charger since it puts out more current than the standard USB spec, which I think is 500ma.
    Which usb cigarette adapter should I order from monoprice? This one:

For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories

or is there one that is rated better for the pre? (Sorry if this has already been covered)
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Which usb cigarette adapter should I order from monoprice? This one:

or is there one that is rated better for the pre? (Sorry if this has already been covered)
    That's the one I got...just received it, along with a few cables, all work fine.
    Do they charge just as fast as the stock wall charger/cables?

I found a cool universal dash mount from mono price that might work for the pre:

For only $2.62 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Universal GPS Car Mount Holder | For Garmin
    I just got my shipment from Monoprice and my Pre is acting weird.

First when I used the Mono USB cable I need to push it firmly before the phone begins charging. The Palm supplied cable just slips in and starts charging.

When charging the touchscreen goes crazy. I touch the screen with one finger and hold it down and I get false taps all over the screen. This is clearly apparent when I run the screen hardware interactive test, hold down my finger on one square and a bunch of square all over the grid start lighting up. I could post some video if needed.

I never had any other issues with my Pre. Did I get the wrong cables, chargers? Too powerful? Something wrong with my Pre?

I bought the following for reference: (this is my first post, sorry for the lack of links)

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=4867&seq=1&format=2

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031106&p_id=4874&seq=1&format=2
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I got a few monoprice usb car adapters but I was told its dangerous to use those cheapie ones because there's no fuse. Is that true that these have no fuse? I'd hate to blow up my $550 phone with a $1 adapter.
    LOL! That's always been my fear with the $2 cables.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast