Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    So the touchstone can be powered by USB as long as its the right one?
    Quote Originally Posted by KeFkA666 View Post
    Clarify what you are asking?

The TS can not be powered from a PC USB port. It does not supply enough current (500ma vs 1A).

If that is what you were asking.
    I'm about to make an order at monoprice, anyone try out one of these yet? For only $1.47 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - White | Power to USB Converter

I'm assuming they should work and work just as fast as the wall charger that came with the phone since they're both 5v 1A.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    I'm about to make an order at monoprice, anyone try out one of these yet? For only $1.47 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - White | Power to USB Converter

I'm assuming they should work and work just as fast as the wall charger that came with the phone since they're both 5v 1A.
    I'd assume so, haven't tried it yet though. Does anyone know if the PC charging is about the same speed as the Touchstone charging, by the way? I'm considering getting one of the Belkin portable power strips with 3 outlets and two USB (500mA) ports, but if it charges slower than the Touchstone it's not worth it to me.
    Now, I'd say it seems like Palm is locking 3rd party cables out from working with the dock except the person at the sprint store hooked me up with a random micro USB cable that they had because I bought a 2nd TouchStone dock and asked about a cable for it. This cable works perfectly with the dock (fits without modifying). It is a Samsung branded "Data Link" cable, model # APCBU10BBE. It's only 4 feet long, I'm not sure that's going to be long enough for my situation at work. The Palm one is $20 and it's 5 feet, I'd hate to have to part with that kind of cash for a simple USB cable... Is it time for a "What micro USB cables work with the dock?" thread?
    i guess i got confused i saw this and i thought by dock he meant touchstone i have a USB port in my car and all i want is to be able to charge my phone in the car with touchstone. Makes me sad
    What car charger and wall adapter do you use these cables with?
    The AC -> USB and car charger -> USB adapters are cheap on monoprice and well.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeFkA666 View Post
    Apparently both the USB cable and AC power adapter are variables that have to be taken into account. I found a 3rd party cable that worked with the dock and the standard AC adapter, but if I used the "wrong" AC adapter and it didn't work no matter what USB cable I used.

I paid (sourly) for the $40 Sprint branded travel charger adapter and it works to power the dock.
    Mine was like 2 bucks.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    Um, some bad news. I sized down the Monoprice cable and got it to fit in the dock. Tried to fire it up and the Pre kept showing the charging icon flashing on and off and making the ding-dong sound. The cable still works fine for charging and syncing the Pre if plugged into a PC, it's only the dock that it won't work with.
    Any thoughts about filing down, or otherwise modifying the Touchstone's USB receptacle to more easily accommodate the male USB micro plug? (instead of filing the micro plug itself)
    I received my 6ft cables from monoprice today and I can confirm they are charging the phones and have no problem transferring files.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    I just received mine also.

I also grabbed this with my cables and it charges the Pre instantly (with the monoprice cables).

I only left it on the charger for about 5 minutes during lunch but it appeared to work perfectly. Pre started to charge immediately after being plugged in.

It is rated at 5.0 V and 1000ma.

For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I just received mine also.

I also grabbed this with my cables and it charges the Pre instantly (with the monoprice cables).

I only left it on the charger for about 5 minutes during lunch but it appeared to work perfectly. Pre started to charge immediately after being plugged in.

It is rated at 5.0 V and 1000ma.

For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories
    I got 2 of these along with 2 wall chargers and cables. Everything is working.

I haven't tried the Touchstone yet but will in a few.

Last edited by NickDG; 06/11/2009 at 04:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    There are a ton of these cables on ebay as well. I just picked up 3 of them for $7 with free shipping. Just search for "micro usb cable".
    Both the ac and car chargers won't power the Touchstone. They do charge the Pre through the micro usb port with no problems. Though like others have posted it takes 4-5 seconds for the charging to start.
    I got all of my Monoprice cables yesterday. Good quality for the price and they all work great with the Pre. I really wish I would have seen the USB AC adapters before I ordered my cables, though. Those things look handy.
    Got mine from monoprice yesterday and they worked great! I got 2 -15 footers (one for my bed charging post.. I like having a long charger cable so I can play with the pre while its charging), 2 - 1.5 footers, and 1 - 3 foot. I also bought a 5 foot off of ebay for 10 cents and free shipping and it worked great too! All these cables for dirt cheap, and there good quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    Um, some bad news. I sized down the Monoprice cable and got it to fit in the dock. Tried to fire it up and the Pre kept showing the charging icon flashing on and off and making the ding-dong sound. The cable still works fine for charging and syncing the Pre if plugged into a PC, it's only the dock that it won't work with.
    I did the same thing with a monoprice cable, and it works fine with the Touchstone. Maybe yours has a loose connection because it's not all the way in... try shaving it down a little more.

Also, if the Pre isn't quite lined up on the Touchstone, it will have that same result, with the starting and stopping charging over and over. Try it again, I'm sure you can get it to work.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Got my cables from monoprice-- took about 3 days to arrive (ordered Monday, arrived Thursday). Man charging is slower out of USB than the wall charger!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I got 2 of these along with 2 wall chargers and cables. Everything is working.

I haven't tried the Touchstone yet but will in a few.
    NickDG, which wall chargers did you get at monoprice and how are they working? I can't seem to find the ones that you are showing on their website. Thanks.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast