Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. ap78k's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
       #1  
    I know this might sound stupid, but does the Touchstone charger come with a cable or is that extra? If it is extra then this might be a deal breaker! So any help with this question is appreaciated.
  2. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #2  
    It comes with a cable to plug it into the wall. (and/or usb?)
  3. #3  
    It comes with the cable to plug it into the wall. The necessary back cover for the phone to stick magnetically to the charger is includes as well.
  4. iharley's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #4  
    I thought I read that it does need a cable, but the cable that comes with the Pre would work.
  5. #5  
    touchstone doesn't come with a cable. you need to use the one that comes with your PRE or you need to buy an extra cable.
  6. #6  
    The phone comes with a cable. The touchstone does not!
  7. #7  
    Just a heads up. The touchstone charger is not available supposedly at BB day of launch? I went to my BB today and they have the buyer's guide for tomorrow and it isn't in there yet? What's up with that? Anyone else heard this?
  8. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    The phone comes with a cable. The touchstone does not!
    Please
  9. rotello's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #9  
    For those looking for a (possibly) authoritative answer, look here:

    Palm Pre Goodness Inside Sprint Now

    Part way down the page there's a Sprint doc with a picture of all the accessories. Next to the touchstone, it says:

    "Requires AC wall charger provided with the Pre, or additional AC wall charger add seperately."

    rotello
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rotello View Post
    For those looking for a (possibly) authoritative answer, look here:

    Palm Pre Goodness Inside Sprint Now

    Part way down the page there's a Sprint doc with a picture of all the accessories. Next to the touchstone, it says:

    "Requires AC wall charger provided with the Pre, or additional AC wall charger add seperately."

    rotello
    You have to be kidding me. That seals the deal, no touchstone for me. $70 and they can't throw in the cord? I was only considering it because I would have liked to have the touchstone on my desk atwork, and the plug in left at home, so I don't have to carry around a charger with me all day.

    Lame.
  11. #11  
    If you need a cable for it and have a usb port available, just buy an extra micro-usb cable and problem solved. At monoprice.com you can buy usb cables for only a couple dollars.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    If you need a cable for it and have a usb port available, just buy an extra micro-usb cable and problem solved. At monoprice.com you can buy usb cables for only a couple dollars.
    No go. Several sources at sprint and in the leaked docs say that the Pre will only charge with Palm brand Micro USB cables. Apparently it's true.

    Palm is not even being close to shy with price gouging accessories.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    No go. Several sources at sprint and in the leaked docs say that the Pre will only charge with Palm brand Micro USB cables. Apparently it's true.

    Palm is not even being close to shy with price gouging accessories.
    I really doubt that a micro-usb cable they sell is any different than any other micro-usb cable. They may say different, but its just that they wont support another cable being used.

    Maybe with the charger, but they say you can charge the phone from a usb port off your computer, which tells me that any micro-usb cable that is to standard spec will work.
  14. #14  
    Their wording in the doc for the touchstone is this:

    Requires AC wall charger or
    USB data cable, provided
    with device (or additional sold
    separately)


    So as my post above, if only the usb data cable they provide will work, then its not designed to usb spec.
  15. #15  
    doesn't have anything to do with the micro usb cable.. says it requires the AC charger -- I'll bet there is some propriety about it.

    So $100+ for this thing if you don't want to tie your wall charger to the desk.

    Ouch- it better be really good -- maybe it prevents lockups and resets!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by fbeaumont View Post
    doesn't have anything to do with the micro usb cable.. says it requires the AC charger -- I'll bet there is some propriety about it.
    The leaked document says that for the touchstone you need the charger OR the usb data cable.

    So my point is, if you have a usb port nearby, you can just use a micro-usb cable which you can buy extra for very cheap elsewhere.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I really doubt that a micro-usb cable they sell is any different than any other micro-usb cable. They may say different, but its just that they wont support another cable being used.

    Maybe with the charger, but they say you can charge the phone from a usb port off your computer, which tells me that any micro-usb cable that is to standard spec will work.
    The last sentence in the YELLOW box under the touchstone specifically says "Other micro-usb charging solutions will not work with the Palm Pre".

    Palm Pre Goodness Inside Sprint Now
    Sincerely,

    Dwight Shrute
  18. #18  
    "Or" the USB cable -- OK - I read something different in the replies above.

    Hopefully any generic USB power source will work.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    The last sentence in the YELLOW box under the touchstone specifically says "Other micro-usb charging solutions will not work with the Palm Pre".
    Yeah, I've read that, but if you find the leaked pdf document from a few days ago that has 20 some odd pages, there is a page that talks about the touchstone saying you can either use the charger or the usb data cable. That means you can hook the usb data cable to a PC port and then to the touchstone to charge. Do you really think their included usb data cable is manufactured any differently than other micro-usb cables? Their point is you shouldnt use any other usb chargers on the phone, which they say to cover themselves so they wont support other solutions.

    I do the very same thing for my charging pod for my blackberry and works just fine.
  20. #20  
    Tell ya what guys. When I get my pre I'll grab a touchstone and do this very test. I've got some micro-usb cables laying around.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions