1.    #1  
    I'm assuming since the Pre is designed to charge inductively though a special back plate that there's a possibility that someone could make a solar panel back plate and charging would be as simple as flipping it over in the sun. IMHO that would be the coolest accessory that I'd pay good money for.

Anyone know if this would be possible?
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm sure they'll release that after they release the wind-up charger
  3.    #3  
    Last edited by deesugar; 05/26/2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    but the Solio still requires that you plug the Pre into the device. I think deesugar like me is looking for a Touchstone sans cable, no AC adapter or usb cable needed. Charge the panel place the Pre on top & it charges voila!
  6.    #6  
    No, I'm looking for sans Touchstone as well, look at my link about the Samsung. The phone itself is its own charger, It has solar cells on the back.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    It is a nice concept and the fact that the phone is made from recycled bottles very eco-hip. But I think that phone will probably be overseas. Also, the panels aren't very aesthetically pleasing... maybe in a few more years we will get there.
    Best accessory ever.... like anyone could quantify such a thing.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    Best accessory ever.... like anyone could quantify such a thing.

Yup, I used the following equation and it proved this is the best accessory ever:

Ra(i) = r(1+ln(w(i)/wm)Kn)(1–(w(i)/W))(1–(y/Y))
  10.    #10  
    Sharp now makes solar cells specifically for cell phones:

Sharp slings out industry's thinnest solar modules for cellphones
    I don't see how this would work all that well when most people carry their phone in their pocket or purse.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownpleasures View Post
    I don't see how this would work all that well when most people carry their phone in their pocket or purse.
    Simple, when sitting outside take phone out of said pocket or purse and lay down bottom up. You don't keep your phone in a pocket or purse when you charge it so I don't see much of a difference except you don't need to search for an outlet.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Simple, when sitting outside take phone out of said pocket or purse and lay down bottom up. You don't keep your phone in a pocket or purse when you charge it so I don't see much of a difference except you don't need to search for an outlet.
    Exactly. Maybe someone will create a phone that charges on kinetic energy like a Seiko watch.
  14. joelpalm
    Unfortunately, kinetic is not an option, the charging from the swinging pendulum would be negligible at best with the amount of power a phone uses vs. a watch. Now solar on the other hand, is a true possibility, and I think OP had a great idea. Granted, a lot of us spend 99% of our days inside, it would have to be geared to the more active/outdoorsy community.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Well I started looking into it. I came accross a kinetic charger which would be geared towards everyone.

Inhabitat » M2E Charges Your Cell Phone With Kinetic Energy!