Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I must admit that the Touchstone charger is "cool". But is it REALLY that big of a deal??? The device still has to come in contact with the charger just as it would with a regular dock, it just sits on top via magnets rather than standing up. I could see if it had the range of Bluetooth and your phone would charge while still in your pocket.

I just read an article that lists the Touchstone as #1 of the "5 Palm Pre features that will shake up the smart phone market". I just don't see how. It's a novelty item. It won't change the way we do anything currently as far as smart phones go. Plus, the thing costs $70!!!!

Am I the only one that feels this way? If so, what is it that I'm missing???
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 05/14/2009 at 12:30 PM.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I like the Touchstone charger and will pick one up on launch day. But the name Touchstone is for the whole line of devices that will be coming out. That is what I am mostly excited about.
    It is really cool for people who arnt geeks!

A lot of people have never used a docking cradle before and more then that the Touchstone is something that existing competitors (iPhone) cant copy without new hardware. So it will probably be a differentiating feature for sometime.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    you're totally right. as cool as it sounds, I'd rather have an iphone like dock. the practical differences are none. it doesn't matter if you put it an dock or on a touchstone. the difference is that the touchstone is 10 times as expensive, and doesn't alow for music sync or media playback.
    I'll probably be getting one. Hopefully they'll have a BT headset that is compatible soon as well.
    I think your right. A dock provides much more functionality. The touchstone although cool is pretty gimmicky. With that said I will still probably pick one up.
    I think it's a neat idea--more for a good way to keep the Pre organized/useful on your desk. I could see myself having one at work, and one near the bed at home. It's less to do with the wireless aspect, and more to do with the clever implementation.

The wireless part is just a wow-factor--and I intend on milking that... My iPhone friends did that kind of stuff for years. The only problem was that when they showed me some new feature, I would pull out my rotting HTC Touch and show them that I've been doing that for a long time already.

They stopped showing me new features
    Yeah, I'm with you. It's "cool", but I do not see the need for one, personally. So I will not be shelling out the $70 for it.
  9.    #9  
    I'm not knocking it! Like I said, it has that "cool" factor going for it. Hell, I'll get one if/when the price comes down. I just don't see it as the market game changer some people are making it out to be.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think what would be neat is a Touchstone that has bluetooth and connects to the computer, and will autoconnect with your Pre when you place it on the touch stone, thus allowing data transfer over bluetooth while its on the touchstone
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I think what would be neat is a Touchstone that has bluetooth and connects to the computer, and will autoconnect with your Pre when you place it on the touch stone, thus allowing data transfer over bluetooth while its on the touchstone

Amazing how they can miss the obvious isn"t it?
    I would think that it would cause enough electromagnetic interference on your phone to affect receiving calls while it was charging. I am sure they have tested it, so it must work well.

It's cool, but not cool enough to spend $70 on.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That being the case, I think the Pre should do that directly when it detects your computer via Bluetooth, Touchstone or not. That leads to the whole local/cloud sync debate though...
    Time to get VIRAL
    Would be a lot cooler if they had used it to completely seal off the pre like an electric toothbrush (waterproof), so I could surf and call in the shower, and so when I get too drunk and drop my phone in the toilet mid call, I won't lose the call.
    I'd just pay my ex get one at her job Best Buy with her discount.
    What would be Cooler then Cool!

IF THEY RELEASED THE F@#KIN PHONE!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Cradles, cables, and docks have connection points that can fail; bent pins, corroded leads, etc. Touchstone eliminates that. Not that it means the Touchstone is worthwhile on that point alone; coolness means a lot to potential consumer. My current Treo uses charge or sync-n-charge cables and I dislike their ability to wander around my desk. Having something stationary would be nice.

As to enabling BT to a PC while the Pre is "stoned", I don't see why an applet couldn't add that functionality.

Assuming I get a Pre (I'm reserving my final decision until I've had a hands-on), I'll get a Touchstone. But my decision is biased; I've a 25% coupon off any accessory that makes it affordable.
    - Fushigi
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by onthepitch View Post
    What would be Cooler then Cool!

IF THEY RELEASED THE F@#KIN PHONE!
    LOL - Hell, at this point a release date would excite me more than the Touchstone!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I'd just pay my ex get one at her job Best Buy with her discount.
    Do Best Buy employee discounts extend to exboyfriend's online forum friends? What's their policy on that?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    Cradles, cables, and docks have connection points that can fail; bent pins, corroded leads, etc. Touchstone eliminates that. Not that it means the Touchstone is worthwhile on that point alone; coolness means a lot to potential consumer. My current Treo uses charge or sync-n-charge cables and I dislike their ability to wander around my desk. Having something stationary would be nice.
    This only applies if the Touchstone proves never to fail (which is unlikely for ANY device).

Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    As to enabling BT to a PC while the Pre is "stoned", I don't see why an applet couldn't add that functionality.
    As I mentioned above, this would be a great idea Touchstone or not!!!
    Time to get VIRAL
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast