Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Absolutely. We had to replace my wife's Centro, apparently because of corrosion of the connector the mates with the cradle. I was able to keep it working for a while by scraping the contacts with a pin, but eventually it just constantly tried to hotsync even when it wasn't in the cradle so that you couldn't use the device.
    For mild corrosion; i.e. oxidation and not rust, on gold contacts a pencil eraser works wonders. The old red kind that capped the #2 pencil and not the newer gum erasers. I learned that trick back in the late '80s when we had to clean the contacts on rack mount leased line modems. It's still useful when cleaning add-in boards before plugging them into a PC.
    - Fushigi
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    you're totally right. as cool as it sounds, I'd rather have an iphone like dock. the practical differences are none. it doesn't matter if you put it an dock or on a touchstone. the difference is that the touchstone is 10 times as expensive, and doesn't alow for music sync or media playback.
    Does the iPhone dock put the phone automatically in a speaker phone mode? Then automatically switch back to a normal mode if you take it off the dock? I don't know the answer, just curious as this seems to be part of what they are touting w/the Touchstone/Pre combination.

I am still not sure it is worth $70.

Cheers
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Does the iPhone dock put the phone automatically in a speaker phone mode? Then automatically switch back to a normal mode if you take it off the dock? I don't know the answer, just curious as this seems to be part of what they are touting w/the Touchstone/Pre combination.

I am still not sure it is worth $70.

Cheers
    I know they are marketing that as a "feature", but it would kinda annoy me as I almost always use my BT headset. Hopefully that can be turned off by default...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Why do you need this if the phone itself has bluetooth that connects to the computer?
    The auto speaker-phone selection is a nice touch. (Not $70 worth though) I think that I will be using the supplied cable for my charging.
    I think if they would ad some sort of data sync (specially for music) through the touchstone it would be a lot more attractive.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I am an outside Sales Rep. My car is my office. I have a route and have to keep getting in and out of the car frequently. Currently I have a Treo and a DC outlet in the car. Recharging my Laptop and Treo (with wall charger). The Touchstone is not designed for the car, but with my DC outlet it will work. It would be nice to just jump in the car and place the Pre on the charger without having to deal with cables. While driving I can take calls via speaker phone if need be I could pickup and it will automaticaly switch to regular mode. Then just put it back on the TS.

Yeah I could use the BT headset but i dont care for them. Also that would not solve the charging problem. In fact it would just be something else to recharge. So for me I will be getting one on day 1. The only thing I question, is if the magnet is strong enough to hold my Pre- speeding round the corner?
    Remember, people bought the pet rock too? I like the Touchstone, but I'll be damned if I'd buy one for the office, the car and home. Oh, and the wife's car. That's how often my Centro needs juice. Besides, I still have to charge my bluetooth headsets (mono and stereo). I like it, but I could find a better use for $150 other than buying two of these which is the minimum I'd need.

I wish someone would make a simple stand up holder that would allow you to see the screen and would just plug in to the existing AC adapter cable. Could cost $5. I could buy 4 of them for whereever I needed them without breaking the back. Kyocera was good at these kind of accessories back in the day.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123