Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I think what would be neat is a Touchstone that has bluetooth and connects to the computer, and will autoconnect with your Pre when you place it on the touch stone, thus allowing data transfer over bluetooth while its on the touchstone
    Why do you need this if the phone itself has bluetooth that connects to the computer?

Magnetic induction is a technology to charge devices, it is not a data transport mechanism.
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    As to enabling BT to a PC while the Pre is "stoned"...
    I think the ability to say that your Pre is "stoned," and mean it, is reason enough for the Touchstone.

Besides that, another advantage of the Touchstone is that you can put it into landscape mode to, say, watch a video while charging. You can't do that with a standard dock.
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    Cradles, cables, and docks have connection points that can fail; bent pins, corroded leads, etc.
    Absolutely. We had to replace my wife's Centro, apparently because of corrosion of the connector the mates with the cradle. I was able to keep it working for a while by scraping the contacts with a pin, but eventually it just constantly tried to hotsync even when it wasn't in the cradle so that you couldn't use the device.

My 755p isn't quite so bad, but the connection to the cradle has gotten finicky. The computer acknowledges a hotsync request only about 50% of the time until I wiggle things around to make better contact. Same story with charging; if I don't get it seated just right, it doesn't charge up (or takes forever to do so).

IMHO $70 for the Touchstone charger is way overpriced, and while I probably won't buy it on day one, I suspect I'll eventually get one or a less expensive knockoff (Precentral Store? You listening?)
    Automatically switching to speakerphone while on the Pre is cool too.
    I agree, for me I just don't see the Touchstone being worth the extra cash.

If it was true wireless power, where you don't even have to hook it to the computer, than I'd probably get it.

Hmm.. I guess true wireless power would be lightning, huh?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Why do you need this if the phone itself has bluetooth that connects to the computer?

Magnetic induction is a technology to charge devices, it is not a data transport mechanism.
    Perhaps my computer does not have bluetooth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I could see if it had the range of Bluetooth and your phone would charge while still in your pocket.
    +1

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    yeah I think it's much pretty useless... one of those "ahh that's interesting" items that provides little to no functionality. I'm much more interested in a docking station. one of the biggest reasons I want an iphone is for the ipod and subsequent ipod dock to play music while at home because my computer speakers are weak....hopefully Pre releases one as well but I'm not holding my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Perhaps my computer does not have bluetooth?
    Then a touchstone that connects to your computer via bluetooth wouldn't be much worth either now would it?
    Even though it is a little gimmicky... and expensive... I'll probably still buy it.

Being able to just set down your phone and have it charge seems really convenient to me.

... and it's really cool.
    What's a lot more useful for me, honestly is the software they've already designed around the Touchstone. How, if you press the answer button while the phone is on the Touchstone, it goes directly to speakerphone. How, if you pull the phone off of the Touchstone, it'll pick up the call and answer to the earpiece, etc.

I know these aren't big game changing features, but they're big enough time-savers to be useful for me. Not $70 useful, but add in the coolness factor and the soft-touch back, and it's worth it to me. I'd actually prefer a second, but only if I can get the second without the back for significantly cheaper ($30-40 or so, which I don't expect to happen.)
    I'll see how the first one does but could get more later. But yep, i'm definitely getting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's a gimmick. It's not even that useful because if you have an iPhone plugged in to your computer, you can still hold it in your hand and use apps, play games, send text messages, etc. while it's charging.
    If i'm at my computer with it plugged in, i'll use the computer to do those things..
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Then a touchstone that connects to your computer via bluetooth wouldn't be much worth either now would it?
    That's why I suggested a bluetooth enabled touchstone that was connected to the computer through USB and would allow my Pre to connect through the touchstone over its bluetooth.

I guess I should've explained better too. If it had bluetooth built in the $70 would bother me FAR less as it now is actually essentially a magnetic non-interlocking cradle instead of just a charging station. If it suddenly jumped the price up more it would be a wash for me.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    To me, there is two big problems with the Touchstone...

1. Constant charging of the battery... I know I know, that it shouldn't effect the batteries overall life, but in my experience constant charging does screw with a battery...
    2. You cannot really use the phone for much when its on the 'stone... I mean are you really gonna have a Speaker-phone conver.? and what about just physically using it... I would rather have a cable attached and still retain all the functionality of the phone...
    Last edited by mrkalel; 05/14/2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: grammer
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    That isnt how I would envision it working. Just like the Pre has special phone call behavior triggered by the touchstone I would like to see the presence of a touchstone automatically enable BT on the Pre and attempt to pair with a specified machine. It would be a nice 'gee wiz' feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

1. Constant charging of the battery... I know I know, that it shouldn't effect the batteries overall life, but in my experience constant charging does screw with a battery...
    2. You cannot really use the phone for much when its on the 'stone... I mean are you really gonna have Speaker-phone conver.? and what about just physically using it... I would rather have a cable attached and still retain all the functionality of the phone...
    Don't know about you, but if i want to use it, i'd pick it up off the Touchstone and use it..

Regarding #1, these companies recommend charging it frequently versus letting it run down then charging. Are they right? I don't know..but it lets me sleep at night.
    Since it has been rumored that Touchstone will be a whole line of products instead of just this one dock, I'm going to wait to see how this technology progresses. As with any new tech, the improvements on this touchstone dock will be much better than the 1st gen. I can wait until a more advanced cradle comes out. the Pre on the other hand, GIVE ME NOW!

BTW, isn't weird how spell check catches 'Pre" as a mispelled word on the precentral forum? just a little odd

Also, if a Palm Pre showed up during the current wootoff, I would die of happiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

This one depends on the type of battery. Lithium-ion should be constantly charged. Nickel metal hydride batteries need to be drained between each use. All cell-phones (and honestly almost anything these days except for like rechargeable AAs) use lithium-ion, so yes, you should be keeping them on the charger as much as possible.
    it's a glorified cradle.

palm pilot cradle 1996 = pre touchstone 2009
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast