Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    cool dude! 8-)
    Things are looking up? As in prices? Just assuming the price is $199 (I know, never assume) would mean a charger would cost more than 1/3 of the price of the phone. I know it's cool and will sell (hell I'll probably buy one a few months in) but that seems like a lot of coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Things are looking up? As in prices? Just assuming the price is $199 (I know, never assume) would mean a charger would cost more than 1/3 of the price of the phone. I know it's cool and will sell (hell I'll probably buy one a few months in) but that seems like a lot of coin.
    Dude, you are missing the point -- its *magnetic* that makes it worth $50 more than a normal charger.

$70 is silly. What's next, space age screen protectors for $20 each?
    Too much! Let's hope the same price decider didn't choose the phone price!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    im gonna show off so much once i get that charger lol i wonder if apple and other companies are going to start making chargers like this one
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpsanto View Post
    im gonna show off so much once i get that charger lol i wonder if apple and other companies are going to start making chargers like this one
    Apple would need to make a new phone (well which they are but it would have to be included into the system). And would have to have the ability with the battery towards the back because the back is not replaceable to allow such feature.
    $70!!!! So the rumours for the price are TRUE! Isn't this suppose to be the saving grace of Palm? Now, if the charger is way overpriced like this, I am going to go out on a limb and state that all the other rumoured prices are also true and correct. Considering the charger price was in the same rumour and is now proved as correct.
    So, that puts the sim free unlocked price at $1000, this sounds bang on, in the UK an unlocked 3G iPhone is $904. So that means that the Pre will be charged for on contract and not fully subsidised as also rumoured, trouble is I suspect any new iPhone WILL be fully subsidised and if the Pre is sold on one network only in the Europrean territories then I'm not sure it will be the success Palm are hoping for, they are in danger of pricing themselves out the market.
    I'm afraid that looking at these prices I won't be buying one, the keyboard as I've read won't suite me, it can't record video, it can't run voice turn by turn GPS software.
    This will all come in time yes but it's lack of these features out the box are a deal breaker for me.
    And if Palm follow this route, I'm not so sure they will survive, great product or not, if it doesn't sell, you don't make the money.
    Everyone seems to be missing something. Doesn't the Pre still need the magnetic back cover? So far i haven't seen any mention that it comes with the Touchstone or if it is to be sold separately and how much that would cost.

A good thing would be for it to come bundled with the Touchstone.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Everyone seems to be missing something. Doesn't the Pre still need the magnetic back cover? So far i haven't seen any mention that it comes with the Touchstone or if it is to be sold separately and how much that would cost.

Obviously we don't know anything for sure, but all the Pre reviews I have seen (the ones when Palm wouldn't let anyone else touch it) they mention the touchstone will be an extra accessory and the phone will be charged by microusb normally.
    Being that the Best Buy screen shot list this as the "Touchstone Kit" it would be fair to assume this price includes the charger and the replacement back. Honestly I would assume that there would be no reason to sell just the charger by itself with no door @ launch. I could see further down the line offering the door for purchase separately, but the charger with no door seems crazy and kinda apple-ish to me. I don't think Palm would do this.
    My $0.02, I see a little light at the end of the tunnel regarding the accessories pricing model, I would rather them price the accessories a "bit" higher and garner profit that way then to price the Pre right out of my price range. I think this makes more sense for Palm and Sprint as they make more money off accessories anyway.
    The price for accessories doesn't seem all that bad to me.

That's where they make money off you. The touchstone is hardly a requirement to functionality.

Heck, Sprint charged me $35 for a car charger for my Mogul. I thought it was a proprietary connection before realizing it was just mini/micro? USB and I could buy the same thing at Walmart for $7.
    so does this mean we're able to buy this at best buy already or just that they have it in stock.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    I would assume
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    so does this mean we're able to buy this at best buy already or just that they have it in stock.
    The in stock date is May 10th.... Makes the May 17th date seem all the more likely
    $70 is not that bad at all. skip a few meals - a few of you could probably use it.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    You guys realize that Dieter's actually taking Mother's Day off?

And I thought his life was on line

Seriously nice to see he DOES have a life off line.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

Palm stated on Twitter that the Touchstone charger and the back cover will be available bundled and separately. This makes sense if you want to buy multiple chargers for work and home, but you wouldn't need multiple back covers.
    I think $69.99 is a great price for the Touchstone. It's _supposed_ to be a high-end product. Price it at $29.99 or $39.99, when standard AC adapters can cost close to that, and you cheapen it. And, I imagine it wasn't cheap to design and, I'm guessing, to perfect. So, they're recouping the R&D investment as well as on-going costs.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast