Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    With or without the back cover this is definitely a bit overpriced. I think I'll save myself $70 and go through the agonizing difficulty of plugging my Pre into its charger every night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    are you sure or are you wrong again?

-----

Attach this charging dock to your desk and watch how quickly it becomes home for your Palm® Pre™ phone. Simply place your Palm Pre on the Touchstone™ charging dock, and magnets in the dock quickly align your phone in the correct position for charging. Charge while you’re checking your calendar or watching videos in portrait or landscape mode.1 Set your Pre on the dock when you're on a call and the speakerphone automatically turns on. And when you take your ringing phone off the dock, your phone answers the call.

Requires Palm Pre Touchstone back cover, sold separately. Wall charger provided with Pre is also required for use.

Palm.com : Shop
    Do you see a price on there? How about the mention of Touchstone Kit? I read Kit and it means that it comes with everything special I need.

I buy a caulking kit and it comes with a tube of caulk, an old caulk remover, and a joint smoother.

I buy a desk kit from Ikea, it comes with all the parts and the tools needed to put it together.

I buy a Palm Pre Touchstone Kit, I expect that it will come with the charger puck, a USB cable (maybe with AC adapter), and a back for the aforementioned Pre.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    i'm anticipating my bill on day one will be -

Pre with Wall Charger = $300
    Touchstone Kit with Back = $100
    Extra Wall Charger for Travel Bag = $30
    Car Charger Adapter with Cable = $30

$460 Total

i'm assuming that phone-capable headphones will already come with the device.

thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Do you see a price on there? How about the mention of Touchstone Kit? I read Kit and it means that it comes with everything special I need.

I buy a caulking kit and it comes with a tube of caulk, an old caulk remover, and a joint smoother.

I buy a desk kit from Ikea, it comes with all the parts and the tools needed to put it together.

I buy a Palm Pre Touchstone Kit, I expect that it will come with the charger puck, a USB cable (maybe with AC adapter), and a back for the aforementioned Pre.
    once again, the point i was trying to make -

1. Touchstone "Kit" (TS + Back) = $99.99
    2. Touchstone Only = $69.99
    3. Back Only = $29.99
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima301 View Post
    With or without the back cover this is definitely a bit overpriced. I think I'll save myself $70 and go through the agonizing difficulty of plugging my Pre into its charger every night.
    i wouldn't mind the plugging in the Pre but i don't want to fight that flimsy, tiny microUSB door multiple times a day.

WIFI sync would be sweet. imagine when you get within your personal home WIFI network that your Pre and your PC wirelessly and silently sync all of your data and files in the background.

$460 Total

thoughts?
    More like:
    Pre w/ Charger = $199
    Touchstone Kit = $69
    Car Adapter = $20-30

$289-$299 Total

Why would you buy an extra charger to go in a bag? Are you that lazy to not be able to unplug yours?

And dude.... Triple Post?
    once again, the point i was trying to make -

3. Back Only = $29.99
    Every mention of the Touchstone's price has been as a kit. Every single one. Even the original source on this one says the "Kit" is $69.99.

An interesting note, though:
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    More like:
    Pre w/ Charger = $199
    Touchstone Kit = $69
    Car Adapter = $20-30

$289-$299 Total

Why would you buy an extra charger to go in a bag? Are you that lazy to not be able to unplug yours?

And dude.... Triple Post?
    1. prices are all just speculation at this point.
    2. extra charger for bag is so i don't have to remember to pack it and thus i never forget it. it's all about efficiency. one less thing to pack and remember and i can focus on important things that make me money.
    3. triple post was just for you, silly.
    Every mention of the Touchstone's price has been as a kit. Every single one. Even the original source on this one says the "Kit" is $69.99.

what's your point? palm.com explicitly says "sold separately". sources are often wrong, silly. the BB screenshot does not mention price.
    one of the original Touchstone web screenshot leaks (not BB) said "back not included."

so my guess is that your options will be something like -

3. Back Only = $29.99
    While on the site it does say that it doesn't include the back, this is irrelevant as Bestbuy is selling the Touchstone "kit" for $69.99. What Palm my offer is moot as Bestbuy can sell it for whatever they want.
    Which is why I think the 17th release date is at least a possibility No need to stock it for almost a month till June 7th.

$460 Total

thoughts?
    Why pay $30 for a car charger?

Micro USB car charger: Amazon.com: Micro-USB Car Charger for the Sprint Sanyo S1 / Verizon Motorola MOTORAZR2 / V9M (RAZR2) Sanyo S1, Katana LX, and LG EnV2 phones: Cell Phones & Service

$6
    1. thanks. i'm so used to having to use proprietary chargers for years that i didn't even think of this.
    2. i'm a little concerned about using non-OEM non-name brand chargers due to possible device damage and cheap construction.
    what's your point? palm.com explicitly says "sold separately". sources are often wrong, silly. the BB screenshot does not mention price.
    My point is that it's the kit that costs $70. Kit, implies multiple items, and since it's the called the Palm Pre Touchstone Kit and not the Palm Touchstone Kit, logically that implies that there's something Pre-specific about this kit. Sources are often wrong, but where there's a consensus amongst different sources, I take that as a good sign that they're correct.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Sprint version has turn-by-turn voice gps. Also, ANYTIME you move to a new device you will adjust to whatever keyboard you begin to use quickly so I don't let any of the keyboard gripes get to me b/c they really don't hold any weight. Video recording isn't THAT big of a deal for me as I'd use a different camera if I wanted to take video, but it's on the way so no love lost.
    I live in the UK and we don't have Sprint and no network has assisted turn by turn GPS services as far as I know. I also do not like the keyboard, I had a Sony Ericsson P990 with a tiny keyboard and just couldn't get used to it and to me it SHOULD record video out of the box. Yes it's coming, so what, I'm actually sick and tired of Apple and Palm thinking they can launch a PREMIUM phone, charge a premium price for it, and not bother to include video recording capabilities out the box, mobile phones I had 5 years ago could record video out the box!!!
    1. thanks. i'm so used to proprietary chargers that i didn't even think of this.
    2. i'm a little concerned about using non-OEM non-name brand chargers due to possible device damage and cheap construction.
    Well I can't speak to device damage, but my car chargers die every six months or so as it is and I've used both the first-party one from the Sprint store and the cheap one from walmart with my Sprint Mogul.

At home, I lost my wall charger that came with my phone, but the motorola microUSB charger I have from a bluetooth headset works just fine.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but MicroUSB is becoming the industry-agreed standard for charging.

edit: http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/pre.../2009/2548.htm
    My point is that it's the kit that costs $70. Kit, implies multiple items, and since it's the called the Palm Pre Touchstone Kit and not the Palm Touchstone Kit, logically that implies that there's something Pre-specific about this kit. Sources are often wrong, but where there's a consensus amongst different sources, I take that as a good sign that they're correct.
    we don't know for sure how much the kit costs. it's all just fun and games until we see the actual price in black and white.

my only point with my previous post was -

1. a guess on touchstone 3 purchase options (Kit, TS only, Back only).
    2. a guess on prices.

i still don't know what your point is.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but MicroUSB is becoming the industry-agreed standard for charging.
    You are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    Well I can't speak to device damage, but my car chargers die every six months or so as it is and I've used both the first-party one from the Sprint store and the cheap one from walmart with my Sprint Mogul.

At home, I lost my wall charger that came with my phone, but the motorola microUSB charger I have from a bluetooth headset works just fine.

edit: Mobile Industry Unites to Drive Universal Charging Solution for Mobile Phones ~ GSM World
    1. i've had my palm OEM car charger for 4+ years and it's still going strong. i never unplug it from the car though so maybe that's why? i tend to like to pay a little more for OEM because i know the specs are exact and the quality is usually good.

2. i'll be glad when we are on one standard for chargers and i think the industry is working on it but it will take some time. i'd like to see Laptop chargers and everything else get on one standard too!
    1. i've had my palm OEM car charger for 4+ years and it's still going strong. i never unplug it from the car though so maybe that's why? i tend to like to pay a little more for OEM because i know the specs are exact and the quality is usually good.

2. i'll be glad when we are on one standard for chargers and i think the industry is working on it but it will take some time. i'd like to see Laptop chargers and everything else get on one standard too!
    The reason my car chargers keep dying is because I have a little holster (made for ipods, lol) that hooks into one of my car's air vent shutters so that I can have my phone up and in eyesight for calls or when I use it as a GPS. However, the angle the cord takes when I plug it in places a lot of strain on the neck of the adapter, eventually shorting/severing the wire near where it plugs in.

If I wanted to I could improvise a sufficient solution for this dilemma, but instead I've just been buying new $7 cords.

If only they made a touchstone for the car.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast