Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72
  1. #21  
    Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

    my guess is -

    $69.99 - Touchstone
    $29.99 - Magnetic Back

    from 02/15/2009, 01:39 PM
  2. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think $69.99 is a great price for the Touchstone. It's _supposed_ to be a high-end product. Price it at $29.99 or $39.99, when standard AC adapters can cost close to that, and you cheapen it. And, I imagine it wasn't cheap to design and, I'm guessing, to perfect. So, they're recouping the R&D investment as well as on-going costs.
    I disagree, it is a new cool accessory for phones, but there is a lot of margin on this thing. Not complaining, because I have a choice to buy it, but don't fool yourself into thinking that this is expensive to make, the technology has been around for a while.
  3. #23  
    You'll note in the "comments" section (bottom left) of that screenshot it says "Palm Pre Touchstone Kit." I imagine that this is the Touchstone puck bundled with the Pre-specific back.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

    my guess is -

    $69.99 - Touchstone
    $29.99 - Magnetic Back

    from 02/15/2009, 01:39 PM

    Selling just the back cover makes no sense, unless people have multiple Pres.

    I think it's more like there's the Touchstone kit (base + back cover) and Touchstone only.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Selling just the back cover makes no sense, unless people have multiple Pres.

    I think it's more like there's the Touchstone kit (base + back cover) and Touchstone only.
    There's a case to be made for selling just the backs too. What happens if you break yours, do you have to buy the entire kit again even though all you broke was the back?
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  6. #26  
    I need to have some of my old buddies who still work there check the employee discount on this thing!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
    I'm afraid that looking at these prices I won't be buying one, the keyboard as I've read won't suite me, it can't record video, it can't run voice turn by turn GPS software.
    This will all come in time yes but it's lack of these features out the box are a deal breaker for me.
    Sprint version has turn-by-turn voice gps. Also, ANYTIME you move to a new device you will adjust to whatever keyboard you begin to use quickly so I don't let any of the keyboard gripes get to me b/c they really don't hold any weight. Video recording isn't THAT big of a deal for me as I'd use a different camera if I wanted to take video, but it's on the way so no love lost.
    Sincerely,

    Dwight Shrute
  8. #28  
    Humm, I dont know if I will be purchasing the touchstone.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

    my guess is -

    $69.99 - Touchstone
    $29.99 - Magnetic Back

    from 02/15/2009, 01:39 PM
    Check out the video from MWC when the palm rep demoing the pre and touchstone lets it slip that "when you buy touchstone, you get the back as well" at about the 7:57 mark. I guess if that's the case, it isn't AS bad but still way up there.

    Sincerely,

    Dwight Shrute
  10. #30  
    I think it's guaranteed that the back will be included in the Touchstone Kit. First of all, it's a "Kit". That implies that there is more than one item included. Second, your charger would not work without the special back piece, so while they could make you buy it separately, I don't see them doing that.

    Third, I know there were videos way back from CES where they were demoing the charger and they specifically mention that the back will be included with the Touchstone.

    ........after 20 minutes of searching........

    I found a video and I guess it has to be taken with a grain of salt because her wording isn't really the best, but I would take what she says to mean that you buy them together. Watch the video below, starting at 35 seconds into it:

  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Check out the video from MWC when the palm rep demoing the pre and touchstone lets it slip that "when you buy touchstone, you get the back as well" at about the 7:57 mark. I guess if that's the case, it isn't AS bad but still way up there.

    Bah, you beat me to it, and your video is better. *Sigh*

    Thanks for the confirmation!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    You guys realize that Dieter's actually taking Mother's Day off?

    And I thought his life was on line

    Seriously nice to see he DOES have a life off line.
    lol. I'm here and working (on my birthday) -- I took most of yesterday off, though.
  13. #33  
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!

    And happy Mothers day to all the Moms !!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    lol. I'm here and working (on my birthday) -- I took most of yesterday off, though.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    There's a case to be made for selling just the backs too. What happens if you break yours, do you have to buy the entire kit again even though all you broke was the back?
    Then I think that would be more of a service part rather than retail. It's just like if you broke the battery cover for a phone you can't just buy the cover. After all I doubt the case would be so fragile you need to replace it often, the stockpile of covers would just end up in a liqudation sale on eBay...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Then I think that would be more of a service part rather than retail. It's just like if you broke the battery cover for a phone you can't just buy the cover. After all I doubt the case would be so fragile you need to replace it often, the stockpile of covers would just end up in a liqudation sale on eBay...
    I'm trying to think ahead here. If we assume that the Touchstone dock will be compatible with Palm phones for the foreseeable future, in which case they'll need to provide backs separate from the docks for all the upgraders out there that already purchased the puck and only need a new back for their new phone.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  16. #36  
    one of the original Touchstone web screenshot leaks (not BB) said "back not included."

    so my guess is that your options will be something like -

    1. Touchstone "Kit" (TS + Back) = $99.99
    2. Touchstone Only = $69.99
    3. Back Only = $29.99
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    one of the original Touchstone web screenshot leaks (not BB) said "back not included."

    so my guess is that your options will be something like -

    1. Touchstone "Kit" (TS + Back) = $99.99
    2. Touchstone Only = $69.99
    3. Back Only = $29.99
    Well this one says kit, so I would guess this means it comes with the back. $100 is just too much to ask for that.

    But the back sold separately will probably be like $20-$25
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    one of the original Touchstone web screenshot leaks (not BB) said "back not included."

    so my guess is that your options will be something like -

    1. Touchstone "Kit" (TS + Back) = $99.99
    2. Touchstone Only = $69.99
    3. Back Only = $29.99
    No, it didn't: http://www.precentral.net/touchstone-dock-6999
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    are you sure or are you wrong again?

    -----

    Attach this charging dock to your desk and watch how quickly it becomes home for your Palm® Pre™ phone. Simply place your Palm Pre on the Touchstone™ charging dock, and magnets in the dock quickly align your phone in the correct position for charging. Charge while you’re checking your calendar or watching videos in portrait or landscape mode.1 Set your Pre on the dock when you're on a call and the speakerphone automatically turns on. And when you take your ringing phone off the dock, your phone answers the call.

    Requires Palm Pre Touchstone back cover, sold separately. Wall charger provided with Pre is also required for use.

    Palm.com : Shop
  20. #40  
    p.s. it looks like you also need to buy an additional wall charger for every additional touchstone you buy too.

    what say you, fanboys?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions