Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    who here would want a TOUCHSTONE that could do DATA transfer and would connect your Pre to PC USB for data as well??? WHY NOT?????????? why be forced to fuss with a flimsy microUSB door and tiny cable connector? why not just sit your Pre on the Touchstone and be able to charge AND connect to your PC to move DATA/Music/Videos/Pics/Files etc.?????????

    and don't you dare mention the friggin cloud.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    who here would want a TOUCHSTONE that could do DATA transfer and would connect your Pre to PC USB for data as well??? WHY NOT?????????? why be forced to fuss with a flimsy microUSB door and tiny cable connector? why not just sit your Pre on the Touchstone and be able to charge AND connect to your PC to move DATA/Music/Videos/Pics/Files etc.?????????

    and please don't even dare mention the friggin cloud.
    That is funny. The "cloud" reference always trips me out. Anyhoo, maybe this will be possible. I am a firm believer that Palm still has something under their sleeve, in terms of accessories or some unknown prowess of the Pre, to announce when they announce price and release date.
  3. #3  
    No need for it, you can already do that with wifi and bluetooth.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    No need for it, you can already do that with wifi and bluetooth.
    SLOW. and what if my PC doesn't have Bluetooth? and how do i easily connect Pre to PC via WIFI???

    and you're going to BT and WIFI huge music and video files etc. back and forth??? I THINK NOT. come on.
  5. #5  
    Well, I was originally thinking in the context of documents, but your right for a large music collection 54Mb is pretty slow.

    I can't say specifically for the pre, wm devices can be connected via tcp/ip over wireless.

    I guess it's time to learn more about magnetic induction to see if usb would be possible.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Well, I was originally thinking in the context of documents, but your right for a large music collection 54Mb is pretty slow.

    I can't say specifically for the pre, wm devices can be connected via tcp/ip over wireless.

    I guess it's time to learn more about magnetic induction to see if usb would be possible.
    I would be just about willing to bet that you will be able to transfer files over TCP/IP
  7. #7  
    You calling 7 gigs of music a large collection? Sorry not even close however it would take ~ 20 minutes to transfer. Which if I recall would be better then bluetooth (I do not remember the speed of it).

    Over all yea usb would be the best bet, however the touchstone we seen does not look like it will do data but we we have all heard there will be several touchstone devices so it might be possible over time.
  8. StefanP's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #8  
    I want, I want!!!

    54 mbps would be fast enough to transfer alot of music files, but I have very bad experiences with file transfers between computers in the same wifi network. (not via the internet, that's much faster). It would probably require alot of effort for me to have a decent wifi sync with the pre. bluetooth would be easy, but it's slow. bluetooth 3.0 would be ideal, but the pre probably doesn't have such new technology.

    so for now, a usb touchstone is the only solution, so palm should better make it happen.
  9. #9  
    I don't think data via induction is quite there yet.

    BLuetooht/wifi make MUCH more sense. As someone just said 7 gigs of memory won't take that long to fill up.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I don't think data via induction is quite there yet.

    BLuetooht/wifi make MUCH more sense. As someone just said 7 gigs of memory won't take that long to fill up.
    I agree. Touchstone + WIFI/Bluetooth makes more sense. If you want all in one, then go USB. I'm not sure what the data xfer rate would be for induction data, plus I like the fact that I won't have to connect the Touchstone to my machine at all.
  11. #11  
    Of course, we are all assuming we can transfer data via wi-fi haha....but at the very minimum at least bluetooth will work.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    who here would want a TOUCHSTONE that could do DATA transfer and would connect your Pre to PC USB for data as well??? WHY NOT?????????? why be forced to fuss with a flimsy microUSB door and tiny cable connector? why not just sit your Pre on the Touchstone and be able to charge AND connect to your PC to move DATA/Music/Videos/Pics/Files etc.?????????

    and don't you dare mention the friggin cloud.
    It's disappointing the day has finally come when once one is forced to flip a cover open and connect another USB to the computer for speedy mass storage transfer... this is simply too much work to be accaptable...

    This is why our nation is fat and lazy
  13. #13  
    Well for the possible battery life issues I can understand the desire to just plop the phone down and have it charge. But how often will we need to be moving files around? Especially on a device that does not rely on syncing. I don't see it as much of an issue either. However for the sake of less wires, I do hope transfers can be done over tcp/ip.
  14. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    #14  
    My money's on the next Touchstone product being external speakers at the very least. I would assume you plop it in with device recognition done by Bluetooth and perhaps after data transfer over wifi.

    A Touchstone media baseship would be cool with some sort of AV out hooked directly to a television or something like then. Then again, with 8 gigs onboard, the Pre wouldn't make for a very big media briefcase.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    It's disappointing the day has finally come when once one is forced to flip a cover open and connect another USB to the computer for speedy mass storage transfer... this is simply too much work to be accaptable...

    This is why our nation is fat and lazy
    the point is that if it can be made easier, why not make it easier? if they don't do it, someone else will.

    do you wash your clothes on a board in the back yard, silly?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    It's disappointing the day has finally come when once one is forced to flip a cover open and connect another USB to the computer for speedy mass storage transfer... this is simply too much work to be accaptable...

    This is why our nation is fat and lazy
    Plugging in a USB cable will solve our nations obesity epidemic?

    Plugs and little fiddly plastic doors suck. The sooner we get away from them the better.
  17. scobb's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #17  
    It's not clear that you could develop a protocol using semi-near field induction to go as fast as bluetooth - let alone WiFi.

    Unlike the dedicated components that do communication via induction for electrical isolation (similar to opto-isolators), you will have noise issues similar to radio. This requires a more complicated protocol that can handle errors and retries. Just like Bluetooth and WiFi

    Also, you would only be able to communicate in one direction at the same time. You could get around this by using frequency modulation, but then you really have a radio. Just like umm Bluetooth and WiFi.

    Not that this couldn't be done - and a neat idea. It is by no means trivial and cheap to develop.

    More to the immediate practical problem. The new Pre battery cover that you get with the touchstone has the inductive coil to pick up the energy. That coil goes to a special connection in the Pre itself that can use that energy to charge the battery. This was pretty clever and insightful of Palm to add this to the Pre to make it possible.

    To actually communicate to the Pre, you would need to take these same connectors and run them to some RF components that in turn connect to some IO on the Pre (like a UART). This certainly does not exist now. So it simply can't happen on this version of the Pre.
  18. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #18  
    3) They stated that it will charge as fast as a cable.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by scobb View Post
    It's not clear that you could develop a protocol using semi-near field induction to go as fast as bluetooth - let alone WiFi.

    Unlike the dedicated components that do communication via induction for electrical isolation (similar to opto-isolators), you will have noise issues similar to radio. This requires a more complicated protocol that can handle errors and retries. Just like Bluetooth and WiFi

    Also, you would only be able to communicate in one direction at the same time. You could get around this by using frequency modulation, but then you really have a radio. Just like umm Bluetooth and WiFi.

    Not that this couldn't be done - and a neat idea. It is by no means trivial and cheap to develop.

    More to the immediate practical problem. The new Pre battery cover that you get with the touchstone has the inductive coil to pick up the energy. That coil goes to a special connection in the Pre itself that can use that energy to charge the battery. This was pretty clever and insightful of Palm to add this to the Pre to make it possible.

    To actually communicate to the Pre, you would need to take these same connectors and run them to some RF components that in turn connect to some IO on the Pre (like a UART). This certainly does not exist now. So it simply can't happen on this version of the Pre.
    Well put. Add to this the fact that 2-way communication would require similar hardware in the Touchstone itself. While the cynic in me would like to say that might possibly justify the $70 cost for the Touchstone, realistically, since this isn't a common thing that I'm aware of, it would be much more than that. Even worse, my guess is that the coils in both the Pre and the Touchstone are simply DC (current spinning in the coil on the Touchstone produces a magnetic field which induces a spinning current in the coil on the Pre battery door). And the things you want to do to a DC current (ie make it constant) make it pretty difficult to move data around. Not to mention the fact that the process of induction itself is a sort of low pass filter--it tends to filter out high frequencies that are kind of important in any sort of high speed data transfer.

    So there's pretty much no way that the Touchstone could possibly transfer data this way without significant, costly engineering and development work.

    Now, having said that, what we do know is that the Touchstone can interact with the Pre (call automatically goes to speakerphone when you put it on the Touchstone and so forth). So, what I think is definitely possible would be to have BT or WiFi automatically connect with your computer when you put it on the Touchstone. It would be very, very cool if the Pre could act like a network drive via WiFi directly to your computer (but you'd only want to do this if you weren't using your WiFi connection for something else--maybe this is a good possibility if your Touchstone is on your desk at work). But probably it would be easier to do this with BT. BT 2.1 can get 2 Mbps, which is not amazing, but a typical music file would be a few MB, let's say 5 just for argument's sake, and that would take about 20 seconds (5*8/2). Not real fast, but not impossibly slow either. This would be okay for transferring single digit numbers of small files on a frequent basis (move an office document, song file, pictures, etc). And then for lots of files or bigger files you still have the USB plug.

    So, to sum up, in my opinion, from order of most likely to least likely: a) Touchstone with automatic BT mode; b) Touchstone with automatic WiFi drive access; c) Touchstone with data transfer via induction coils (this is more like impossible or rather completely impractical).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  20. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Cable hooked up to what? The current iPhone charges much faster when plugged into an outlet (~5 - 10 min) than it does when plugged into a USB port (~30 minutes or more). Presumably, this is because the current available via a power outlet is much higher.

    I'm sure some people here never ever forget to charge their smartphone overnight and do not travel so you can disregard.
    I'm guessing they were referring to an outlet. So yes, the USB charge would take longer.

Posting Permissions