Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wireless electricity was invented/discovered by Nikola Tesla.. What took so long to get products using this to consumers?

History behind it
    It's been in rechargeable toothbrushes for over a decade now. The question is "what took so long to get it into consumer electronics?"
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Because if you think about it, it's really too much hassle for such little improvement. Toothbrushs must have it in order to be fully water tight.
    Hassle to have universal charging for ALL devices? Hassle to have charging pads built into furniture, available on planes and trains, in hotels and so on. A hassle to not have to carry multiple adapters and cables when you travel or just reducing the clutter of cables around the house. A nice pad on your desk or bureau where all your devices can sit and charge by utilizing just one electrical outlet.

Imagine traveling with just one pad so you can charge your phone, razor and toothbrush.

How much money do you think people spend in home and car chargers when they buy new devices or lose their current adapter? I had to drop $45 for a $5 Palm charger when I was in Vegas because one of the contacts broke on the adapter. Wouldn't have anything to break if it was just sitting on a pad.

Yeah, you're right. Such a hassle.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    In fact, there is a form of wireless electricity in every single consumer electronics device: the transformer. Yes, those all use two inductive coils (with different numbers of windings) to step down voltage from 100ish volts to 10ish volts without impressive losses. In between the coils, the energy is passed via a magnetic field, aka wirelessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Hassle to have universal charging for ALL devices?
    Slow down there son, there are still lots of details that aren't standardized yet (aligning magnet location/polarity, coil location/size, magnetic flux, etc.) Given that it took cell phones almost 20 years to standardize the charger connection (which is still in the future btw), we should see universal induction charging standards by 2029

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    In fact, there is a form of wireless electricity in every single consumer electronics device: the transformer.
    This used to ring more true in years past; most power supplies now days use switching power supplies to step down the 115V source (reduces weight, and the possible annoying hum.)
    Last edited by disc; 04/22/2009 at 09:21 PM.
    I can charge my toothbrush with my Panashonice shaver charger and vice versa.

Magnet location? The only reason for magnets on the touchstone is because of their stupid angled design with no lip. Put a curved lip on it and you could rest the Pre on it in portrait or landscape mode with no magnets needed.

If you bought a pad from WildCharge I could place my Pre, toothbrush and shaver anywhere on the pad and all three would charge.

Speed up son...
    Quote Originally Posted by disc View Post
    Slow down there son, there are still lots of details that aren't standardized yet (aligning magnet location/polarity, coil location/size, magnetic flux, etc.) Given that it took cell phones almost 20 years to standardize the charger connection (which is still in the future btw), we should see universal induction charging standards by 2029
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    This used to ring more true in years past; most power supplies now days use switching power supplies to step down the 115V source (reduces weight, and the possible annoying hum.)
    Well, you learn something new every day. Thanks for the knowledge enhancement.

Oh come on, they have 3rd party attachments even for the iPhone, iPod, and Blackberries, Cameras, etc that you snap on and get this same function. It's a charging base that you just sit the device with this attachment on and BAM, you got charging. Don't give me that..
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    If you bought a pad from WildCharge I could place my Pre, toothbrush and shaver anywhere on the pad and all three would charge.
    I remember reading that one was inductive and the other conductive--which IIRC are not compatible. I know that the WildCharge adapters for a Razr/iPhone/BlackBerry have exposed contacts, vs. the under-the-surface ones for the Touchstone or for a toothbrush that charges this way.
    Why did it take so long? Because proprietary power connectors tended to be major revenue streams.
    Hassle to have universal charging for ALL devices? Hassle to have charging pads built into furniture, available on planes and trains, in hotels and so on. ....
    Yeah, you're right. Such a hassle.
    But the pre's charger is not universal nor is it clear (or likely) the pre will work on a universal charger. Right now standards on inductive wireless chargers are non existant. I have a couple of inductive charging devices and they don't work with each other.
    So one could say universally that deductive reasoning should and would induce a magnetic charge - existentially anyway ...

Aw forget it, I'm lost. I'm movin' to a different thread before I stunt my growth.
    This sparked an idea in me head... I wonder if the Pre would charge via a toothbrush charger?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I can charge my toothbrush with my Panashonice shaver charger and vice versa.

Magnet location? The only reason for magnets on the touchstone is because of their stupid angled design with no lip. Put a curved lip on it and you could rest the Pre on it in portrait or landscape mode with no magnets needed.

Speed up son...
    Ease of the gas a little, dad.

I suggest you take a look at the output voltages on the charges in your house. I've got chargers that put out anywhere from 3 volts to 18.5 (yes, point 5) volts, and at least half a dozen different levels in between, for my electronic devices. Even if all of the vendors of electronics eventually come out with inductive charging for their devices, it'll be a cold day in he!! before you see anything resembling a universal standard for voltage, current, and inductance, much less a standard physical implementation.

I can easily imagine that in 5 years, you'll no longer be carrying half a dozen plug-in chargers with you on a trip. Instead, you'll be carrying half a dozen inductive chargers, each incompatible with the rest.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    a universe charging pad would be nice if it was big enough you could even charge a laptop while using it so you don't have to plug it in so its easy to "run". And that means no more miss connecting which laptops get after a while where the charger plug wont charge properly because it is not connecting right.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    If this is only $49.99, then the Touchstone shouldn't be any more than that. And heck, you can charge two Wiimotes with this!

Energizer Induction Charger for Wii to drop in May : Boy Genius Report
    To me, the Touchstone is, at this point, just a gee-whiz feature that differentiates the Pre from other devices, but at a significant cost. And when I say that, I mean it's on purpose. I don't think Palm really expects to sell all that many (if the price is really the rumored $69.99; if it's more like $29.99, then I take all of this back), and something about it tells me it wasn't easy to produce in such a small, integrated package.

I think the idea is to get the trademark out there, let the earliest adopters pay through the nose for the thing to subsidize it, and then later more Touchstone accessories will be introduced, the investment recouped, and the price will go down.

Just more idle speculation from a Pre-occupied freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Everytime I watch that, I laugh...

Wait, no, I mean - shut tup
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast