Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i wonder if palm will start selling conductive backs for treos and centros to be used with the touchstone? seems possible given the batter is the same as pre, no? and it aint rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i wonder if palm will start selling conductive backs for treos and centros to be used with the touchstone? seems possible given the batter is the same as pre, no? and it aint rocket science.
    If palm doesn't I am sure there will be 3rd party backs that will work. Just give it time.
    inductive, conductive - whatever.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disc View Post
    Slow down there son, there are still lots of details that aren't standardized yet (aligning magnet location/polarity, coil location/size, magnetic flux, etc.) Given that it took cell phones almost 20 years to standardize the charger connection (which is still in the future btw), we should see universal induction charging standards by 2029

This used to ring more true in years past; most power supplies now days use switching power supplies to step down the 115V source (reduces weight, and the possible annoying hum.)
    There is still a couple isolation turns around a ferrous core. It may just be one turn on each side but nearly everything coming out of the wall has some sort of inductive step. I haven't ripped apart my cell phone charger but I'd be quite surprised if there wasn't a transformer in there.

It used to be that you would use a transformer and step down to the voltage you wanted, put it across some sort of voltage limiter like a linear voltage regulator and then put an LC circuit to reduce output noise. This isn't done anymore, which what I think you meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    To me, the Touchstone is, at this point, just a gee-whiz feature that differentiates the Pre from other devices, but at a significant cost. And when I say that, I mean it's on purpose. I don't think Palm really expects to sell all that many (if the price is really the rumored $69.99; if it's more like $29.99, then I take all of this back), and something about it tells me it wasn't easy to produce in such a small, integrated package.

I think the idea is to get the trademark out there, let the earliest adopters pay through the nose for the thing to subsidize it, and then later more Touchstone accessories will be introduced, the investment recouped, and the price will go down.

Just more idle speculation from a Pre-occupied freak.
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. Its a nice to have, but I can wait. I'd much prefer a second battery and the ability to charge it remotely (for probably the same price) than yet another item on my desk just because its new technology - even though I am the ultimate gadget freak.
    I already have a spare battery charger and a few spare batteries so don't really need fancy charging. If I can integrate it into a car cradle, I'll pick one up.
    Since I need at least 4 Touchstones to cover the needs of both my girlfriend and I the high price is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. I will be waiting for resellers to start offering them closer to their true cost or bootleggers to start making knock offs.
    If you'd need to charge in the same place (ie. at your place and hers) then just buy two wildcharge pads. You'll be able to charge both on one pad at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Since I need at least 4 Touchstones to cover the needs of both my girlfriend and I the high price is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. I will be waiting for resellers to start offering them closer to their true cost or bootleggers to start making knock offs.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    If you'd need to charge in the same place (ie. at your place and hers) then just buy two wildcharge pads. You'll be able to charge both on one pad at the same time.
    how do you know for sure that these pads will work with a Pre?
    induction charging is induction charging. how dumb would palm have to be to take this universal technology and inject something proprietary into it? Those pads are just larger version of a flat touchstone.

But what do I care? You buy one, it works, you keep it. You buy one, it doesn't work, you return it and drop more cash on a touchstone. I do know I've charged various shavers and toothbrushes on chargers other than the ones they came with. Would imagine that would carry over. It's the whole point of the technology.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    induction charging is induction charging. how dumb would palm have to be to take this universal technology and inject something proprietary into it? Those pads are just larger version of a flat touchstone.

But what do I care? You buy one, it works, you keep it. You buy one, it doesn't work, you return it and drop more cash on a touchstone. I do know I've charged various shavers and toothbrushes on chargers other than the ones they came with. Would imagine that would carry over. It's the whole point of the technology.
    a company do something stupid??? Palm???

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!
    The company wildcharge makes backs for quite a few phones to allow inductive charging. nothing for palm that I know of.
    I wonder what the recharge times will be....inductive has been notoriously slower than direct charging.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    This sparked an idea in me head... I wonder if the Pre would charge via a toothbrush charger?
    I'm so trying it when I get mine
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I spoke to my cousin who works for Best Buy and he said they have the official Palm Pre exclusive accessories in stock but they wont be on sale till late June. That only reconfirms the FH 09 statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Everytime I watch that, I laugh...

Wait, no, I mean - shut tup
    Don't forget wirelessleee.

Check out the other three or four the same person posted.
    ok so i made an account on this forum just so I could respond to this this thread. Ok here goes:

1st @crogs571 and everyone thinking about buying the wildcharge for use on the Palm Pre. DON'T! After many many hours of wasted research on it, I finally figured out that wildcharge does its wireless charging by use of CONDUCTION (contacts) instead of INDUCTION. That is the reason that if you look at the pics of their base it is so thin, because it doesn't use any magnets or anything that would work like the Touchstone. It uses four tiny metal contacts on the back of their adaptors that connect to the pad, essentially just a big usb plug I guess you could say. SO as cool as the idea was, it won't work so people don't waste your money.

2nd after the dissapointment of the wildcharge I set out to see if there were any real inductive charge pads out there besides the Touchstone. Unfortunately the only pads that I could find, even mentioned on Engaget are theoretical possibilities, but haven't been built yet. There is one that is supposedly very close to market this fall call Powermat that demoed at CES this year. It does look promising, being that more than one device can be powered on at once. However inital costs are said to be around $100 for the mat and then $30ish for any adaptors. Idk if it would work with the Pre as I have read that the Pre's Induction coil is supposed to be optimized for the size in the touchstone. So would it work in the powermat, maybe but it might not charge as efficiently as it would on the touchstone. What I think would be cool would be if big companies would implement the powermat tech into their systems so they wouldn't need 'bulky' add-ons and would just be seemless.

3rd @nosepicker if you are going to do that, make sure you have the other inductive backing on the Pre and not the one that came with the phone, or else you won't get anything. I'm not saying the toothbrush idea will work, but if it does, maybe I'll just use that instead of the Touchstone. Update us if you do end up doing this. Thanks all
    Last edited by blabmouth02; 06/11/2009 at 07:24 PM.
    that stinks. Just wanted to Wildcharge's website and saw this:
    The WildCharger™ pad is flat and thin with a conductive surface.
    Guess I needed to read a bit more thoroughly. I wonder if eCpoupled will be producing anything. I guess at the moment, it's OEM or jerryrig some of your bathroom gadgets. That's a shame. Though mine is going back so I don't care anymore...haha.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/11/2009 at 07:51 PM.
    whats going back? your Pre?
    yep. couldn't stand the PIM. Complete crap if you're an intensive PIM user and used to PalmOS. So my rep sent me a return label and back it went. Just picked up a Palm Pro and converted over to Outlook. Will see how well winMo works. Can always switch back to my Centro if need be and see how HTC does with an Android phone for Sprint or possibly the TP2. I logged in my complaint with Palm about the iPhone-izing of the PIM and told them I'd give it another go if they ever brought the functionality back.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast