Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    The iphone is one of the only phones that doesn't have to have an AT&T logo.
    Ironically it's also the only phone AT&T won't unlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Then can you tell me why even if you pay retail and not go on a contract, the phones you get from carriers are still locked?

That's the part I find the most irritating, minus the 3-year contracts part.
    In the US, AT&T customer service unlocks phones when requested, even new subsidized phones. If you are going to pay full price, why even buy the phone from the carrier. Buy an unlocked, unbranded phone instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I wonder if that is really true. Remember a little while ago when Howard Stern chose a Blackberry Bold to replace his Treo? He used to be on Sprint with his Treo and now he's on AT&T. Well, he went on a rant today about how his Bold is a piece of garbage and AT&T is a horrible carrier. He said that the Bold is a great device for everything except making a phone call. He concluded that he will probably keep the Bold for messaging, browsing the Web, taking videos, etc., and then get another phone on Verizon or Sprint just for making phone calls.

So it appears that people know that AT&T is a terrible carrier, although iPhone owners seem to be willing to look past that.
    I haven't noticed that AT&T is a terrible carrier. I live in the same city Howard Stern does and my GSM Centro does not drop calls (except in tunnels or when crossing into Connecticut). Perhaps it's just 3G on AT&T which has problems. If so, I expect that will improve over the next couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I haven't noticed that AT&T is a terrible carrier. I live in the same city Howard Stern does and my GSM Centro does not drop calls (except in tunnels or when crossing into Connecticut). Perhaps it's just 3G on AT&T which has problems. If so, I expect that will improve over the next couple of years.
    In North Carolina, My experience is that AT&T's call quality is not remotely as good as Sprint or Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    In North Carolina, My experience is that AT&T's call quality is not remotely as good as Sprint or Verizon.
    My experience is the same in LA but since the iPhone launched they had to put up cell towers faster than they sold iPhones to get decent signal. The calls still drop though and the quality is horrible.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Call quality and coverage varies greatly from location to location for ALL carriers. In on of my client's locations, I can't get a useful signal on my Verizon Air Card, but my Sprint phone has a great signal. In my primary work location, I get good signals on both. At my last job, I got a terrible signal on both.

Within any city, you'll find dead zones and weak spots from all carriers (including Verizon, in spite of their ads).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    (IMHO) My experience has been that even though there are problems with reception, a lot of cities will resist putting up new reception (towers?) to increase the signal. The complaint I heard was something to do with "visual pollution"; which is funny when you look at the proliferation of billboards along many highways and streets.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I wonder if that is really true. Remember a little while ago when Howard Stern chose a Blackberry Bold to replace his Treo? He used to be on Sprint with his Treo and now he's on AT&T. Well, he went on a rant today about how his Bold is a piece of garbage and AT&T is a horrible carrier. He said that the Bold is a great device for everything except making a phone call. He concluded that he will probably keep the Bold for messaging, browsing the Web, taking videos, etc., and then get another phone on Verizon or Sprint just for making phone calls.

Robin Quivers followed Howard's lead and also got a Bold on AT&T. She said that she is experiencing a lot of dropped calls or failed connections. There was a consensus that AT&T is horrible and the only thing making them so popular is the iPhone. One member of the show said that he would love to have an iPhone, but would never sign up with AT&T.

So it appears that people know that AT&T is a terrible carrier, although iPhone owners seem to be willing to look past that.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Bold was RIMs first 3G device and in general experiences a lot of dropped calles on ATT's network so it's probaly a combination of the two things leading to an unusual number of dropped calls. RIM had somewhere software issues with the Bold and is still fixing them to this day -> checkout the Bold forums @ crackberry.com.

With that said, I use ATT on my Xperia X1 and ATT coverage is average at best here in Raleigh-Durham, NC. I don't have many dropped calls though. Only reason I use ATT is because I like the ability to easily use unlocked phones (GSM only) and they are the nations largest GSM carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Bold was RIMs first 3G device and in general experiences a lot of dropped calles on ATT's network so it's probaly a combination of the two things leading to an unusual number of dropped calls. RIM had somewhere software issues with the Bold and is still fixing them to this day -> checkout the Bold forums @ crackberry.com.

With that said, I use ATT on my Xperia X1 and ATT coverage is average at best here in Raleigh-Durham, NC. I don't have many dropped calls though. Only reason I use ATT is because I like the ability to easily use unlocked phones (GSM only) and they are the nations largest GSM carrier.
    I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and my business partner has an iPhone 3G. Dropped/garbled calls have gotten so bad that even people on conference calls can TELL he is using an iPhone. I am not sure if it is AT&T or the iPhone, but I really think the radio in the iPhone 3G sucks.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I don't know, in Boston, I've got a friend who has 3 or 4 different phones on AT&T and every single one of them has had horrible reception and static and dropped calls. On Sprint, I've never had any issues, other than in an office where not a single carrier gets reception. (Seriously, I know people with Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, and none of them had any reception there).
    I believe its to help make charging the Pre easier because its only going to have "decent" battery life.

Robin Quivers followed Howard's lead and also got a Bold on AT&T. She said that she is experiencing a lot of dropped calls or failed connections. There was a consensus that AT&T is horrible and the only thing making them so popular is the iPhone. One member of the show said that he would love to have an iPhone, but would never sign up with AT&T.

That's funny - that was the exact reaction I thought he would have a few weeks later after he actually tried to use the Bold. And as you look around the web, it seems to me this is becoming the number 1 complaint about the iPhone - the crappy ATT network. I tried the iPhone here in Austin TX and it was horrible - 3g would cut in and out all the time and even EDGE did not necessarily do good calls. Thought it was just my home, but then went to Dallas and Houston and had more dropped calls in those two trips than I have had in 5 years on Sprint. And everyone complained about my call quality. I realize they are not bad every where - but they are sure bad in a lot of places. Maybe this "upgrade" they are doing will help.

Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I believe its to help make charging the Pre easier because its only going to have "decent" battery life.
    Back on topic - I love the Touchstone concept because I sit at a desk most of the time. After trying an iPhone and now a Touch Pro, I sure hope they have tweaked the Pre's battery usage. I have a feeling that it is not going to be pretty though.
    My AT&T issues and my Treo Pro (and all other phones for that matter) is not the call quality at all, but rather the dropped calls which someone explained to me is a function of GSM PCS techology versus VZW CDMA. The handoff ability (switching from tower to tower) is terrible on a GSM technology phone which is why when I am driving on the freeway in L.A. is when my calls drop, but almost never when stationary. VZW technolodgy handles this better. However, VZW technology is much more costly for the same amount of call capacity.

Voice quality is not a function of the network, but more likely a function of the phone itself. My voice quality is great....if I could just not drop calls while driving fast--maybe I will just note the drop areas and skid to a stop each time I approach so the handoff is easier, then take off again
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    However, VZW technology is much more costly for the same amount of call capacity.
    But it works - and ATT's does not so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The carriers do NOT pay full retail price. Period. For any phone. They pay wholesale price, which is a heck of a lot lower. Exactly how much lower will be negotiated between the manufacturer (Palm) and the retailer (Sprint, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, whoever). Anyone who thinks the phone company pays retail has no clue how the retail market works. If Sprint paid full retail, they'd lose money every time they sold a phone at retail, without a long term contract. The only time Palm gets full retail on a phone is if someone buys one directly from them.

But yes, it's Srpint who will subsidize things like the $150 upgrade credit, in exchange for a two year agreement. If a rebate is offered, it's unclear who will subsidize how much of that. Palm and Sprint both have a vested interest in getting the device out to a large market, and both may be willing to take lower profits initially to raise demand.

Actually you are kind of right, its not CALLED retail when Sprint buys the phone it is called wholesale. BUT, wholesale price of the phone is SIGNIFIGANTLY higher then what they sell for at retail. Im telling you this because i KNOW this and have been involved in this. Sprint will pay between 3-500 dollars per pre and can sell it for whatever they want. They make back the money in service contracts. THIS is why employees are required to get charge backs on customers that cancel their contract within the first 6 months. All cell companies are taking a loss, sometimes a major one, on phones that are sold with contracts, and the money they make is on the contract. Maybe YOU should get the retail nonsence out of your head and learn something about the cellular market. This is no differant then when you get a Directv box for free pending a 2 year contract, they take the loss on the equipement and recoup it in the first 6 or so months of your service.
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
    Actually you are kind of right, its not CALLED retail when Sprint buys the phone it is called wholesale. BUT, wholesale price of the phone is SIGNIFIGANTLY higher then what they sell for at retail. Im telling you this because i KNOW this and have been involved in this. Sprint will pay between 3-500 dollars per pre and can sell it for whatever they want. They make back the money in service contracts. THIS is why employees are required to get charge backs on customers that cancel their contract within the first 6 months. All cell companies are taking a loss, sometimes a major one, on phones that are sold with contracts, and the money they make is on the contract. Maybe YOU should get the retail nonsence out of your head and learn something about the cellular market. This is no differant then when you get a Directv box for free pending a 2 year contract, they take the loss on the equipement and recoup it in the first 6 or so months of your service.
    An unimportant point but, you are confusing retail and subsidized. There are actually 3 prices for the phone. The wholesale price that sellers will pay, the retail price that consumers pay without contracts, and then the subsidized price with contract or upgrade.
  17.    #37  
    http://www.precentral.net/street-tak...b-150-palm-pre

As I predicted before. Any educated person would predict the price of the Pre to be below $199. Congrats to The Street.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12