Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Touchstone dock for Palm Pre to run $69.99?

What a day, what a day. More info please

Looks like it says it'll come with the back cover.

Way too high
    Could've been worse. 70 seems fair for it considering what the usual stuff costs.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I'll get one, but that kind of puts a damper on me getting 2-3 of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Way too high
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Could've been worse. 70 seems fair for it considering what the usual stuff costs.
    I think it's a fair price. It's like any new technology its gonna be more expensive and over time it will go down. Do we really need to go into examples? I'll hit the most recent example. BLU-RAY
    That is a lot to pay for it. Hopefully it'll actually be 29% less.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    I posted this on the front page and on Engadget already, but in the interest of getting it here where there's generally more discussion:

We also don't know if there will be another SKU without the battery door either. If the first is $70 and the second without the door is $40 or something, that might be more reasonable.

At $70, I'll buy one. But at $40 or $50 each (or even $110 for two), I'd definitely get a second for the office.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    That is a lot to pay for it. Hopefully it'll actually be 29% less.
    My guess it will be 30% cheaper from Palm.. sprint likes to mark accessories up.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    I think it's a fair price. It's like any new technology its gonna be more expensive and over time it will go down. Do we really need to go into examples? I'll hit the most recent example. BLU-RAY
    Really, this is not new technology the way Blu-Ray was new technology. These are inductive coils, and the technology exists in lots of places (though not in cell phone chargers previously).

I think $69.99 is too high too. However, my guess is that the battery door is actually more than $10 or so of it--I think it's possible that a Touchstone without the battery door could be $50 or less.

But when you're paying $200 for the phone, it feels like an awful lot to cough up an additional $70 just for an accessory. I know Palm will make a lot of their money on the accessories, but sheesh.
    Oh I'm sure it won't take long before some start to show up on eBay for cheaper.

But nonetheless I'm getting one when I get mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Really, this is not new technology the way Blu-Ray was new technology. These are inductive coils, and the technology exists in lots of places (though not in cell phone chargers previously).

I think $69.99 is too high too. However, my guess is that the battery door is actually more than $10 or so of it--I think it's possible that a Touchstone without the battery door could be $50 or less.

But when you're paying $200 for the phone, it feels like an awful lot to cough up an additional $70 just for an accessory. I know Palm will make a lot of their money on the accessories, but sheesh.
    I agree, I have already said I think my electric toothbrush does the same thing.
    +1, this isn't new technology, but been around for over a decade. It IS new technology for charging cellphones though. They just made it really stylish that many people think its new. $70 is close to 50% if the 2 yr contract price is $200 which is too high for what basically and literally is a charger.
    i think the geeks out there will go ahead and buy this one. Just too cool to pass!
    wow, i hope that price is wrong. I really like the idea of it and really wanted one, but for $70 (even with battery cover) that is outrageous. I can't imagine the battery cover would retail for more than 10 bucks. Even if it has some extra magnets or whatever, $20+ would be stupid! Hopefully palm will have enough sense to sell the bundle for less than 50. If it actually turns out to be $70, I may very likely hold off on getting the touchstone for awhile. As cool as it would look on my desk, I dunno if I could spend that much on a charger.
    yea it's cool... but not $70 worth of cool
    It would have to charge more than just the Pre for me to pay that much
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    +2 on not new tech. I'll buy the door if it's needed and a WildCharge pad for $30 or 40. For me the design of the Touchstone charger is useless. Maybe if it had a slot to charge a 2nd battery it'd be worth it. People already have zero need to buy a Palm cabled charger of any sort so to make their only chance at an accessory sale of this nature too overpriced doesn't make much sense to me. Will make @t that much more attractive for 3rd parties to make their versions of it.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/13/2009 at 04:38 PM.
    whether i'll buy it or not depends on how much a pain that access door is on the side of phone for the usb
    I'd buy it for $30. I'd think about it for $40. $50 or higher, forget it.

$70 conjures up expletives.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I'd buy it for $30. I'd think about it for $40. $50 or higher, forget it.

$70 conjures up expletives.
    LoL.... awesome post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast