Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 99 of 99
  1. JayC3's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Hahaha.. Very funny... "Wireless!!"
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I hope it's not widely accepted. With a 75% efficiency in transferring power (compared to a wire's ~100% efficiency), wide scale deployment of these sorts of chargers would add up to even more wasted energy.
    No. huge numbers of people wall chargers plugged in. that is extremely inefficient. In our house we have about 15 plugged in 24/7. they have a fairly sizable draw even when no device is attached, that wastes way more electricity than a single or couple of inductions, which when there are standards will be universal.
  3. #83  
    how about all the waste of all the corded chargers? People lose them every day. Every hotel probably has no less than 100 chargers sitting in a box because they get left behind. And people go buy more. Everyone, I'm sure has quite a few spare chargers lying around collecting dust. Every time a product bites the dust and a new one comes along, so does a new charger. There's probably more waste in production and trash of them.

    Now take away the touchstone because it's a waste of the technology and buy a charging pad that can charge multiple products at one time. Now we have multiple items being charged with one charging device. Imagine if you could buy a product cheaper because you didn't need the ac charger. They could be a separate item instead of included with a device because charging is universal. Think about the big picture and the long run, not the short run.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  4. #84  
    Perhaps the Touchstone will set off a universal charger revoluation and will result in a standardization of induction charging of everything with a single charger.

    Or perhaps Palm and every other electronic device manufactuer will do what they have always done which is include a cheap wal-wart charger with every device. How can you even imagine chargers working for multiple manufacturers when Palm, Apple, etc. can't even stick with one for their line of smartphones.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No. huge numbers of people wall chargers plugged in. that is extremely inefficient. In our house we have about 15 plugged in 24/7. they have a fairly sizable draw even when no device is attached, that wastes way more electricity than a single or couple of inductions, which when there are standards will be universal.
    Good point. Add this to the Touchstone downside: the Pre will have yet-another-unique wall charger to add to the growing wall charger plague further adding to its already inherent induction mode power transfer inefficiency. This thing is about 88% form and about 12% function - if that.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    how about all the waste of all the corded chargers? People lose them every day. Every hotel probably has no less than 100 chargers sitting in a box because they get left behind. And people go buy more. Everyone, I'm sure has quite a few spare chargers lying around collecting dust. Every time a product bites the dust and a new one comes along, so does a new charger. There's probably more waste in production and trash of them.
    I agree - and 2012? Seriously check this out:

    Electronista | Phone firms plan universal chargers for 2012

    Come on! This should have been done a LONG time ago
  7. #87  
    MiniUSB was making great progress as a standard. But now it is going away in favor of another 'standard'.
  8. #88  
    i cant find the Pre video - but did you see the demo video where the dude opened the Pre's tiny little micro USB door? it did not look easy. i really dont want to fumble with that tiny little door every time i want to charge the phone. with the touchstone, i wont have to worry about it. but in the car, i will.
  9. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Good point. Add this to the Touchstone downside: the Pre will have yet-another-unique wall charger to add to the growing wall charger plague further adding to its already inherent induction mode power transfer inefficiency. This thing is about 88% form and about 12% function - if that.
    Nope, same micro-usb cable plugs into the Touchstone.
  10. #90  
    Not sure if anyone brought this up yet.

    From the looks of one of the videos that I watched it looked like the touchstone might be slightly magnetic. I think this could be a good and of course a bad thing. Magnets with electronics is usually a bad thing however they do have magnetic phone cases with the magnetic snap so if it does happen to be it shouldn't be to big of a deal id think.

    On the pro side, I would say so it does not accidentally get bumped off onto the ground or just off the charger, because what is the point of having something on a charger that will "disconnect" from the charging unit and when you finally use it you find that is not charged but actually dead.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    The magnets are in the charger, not the device.
    Not true:



    There are magnets inside of the matte casing.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  12. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Not true:



    There are magnets inside of the matte casing.
    Actually it is true. I'll bet you a dollar that those are not magnets.

    Attach this charging dock to your desk and watch how quickly it becomes home for your Palm® Pre™ phone. Simply place your Palm Pre on the Touchstone™ charging dock, and magnets in the dock quickly align your phone in the correct position for charging. Charge while you’re checking your calendar or watching videos in portrait or landscape mode.1 Set your Pre on the dock when you're on a call and the speakerphone automatically turns on. And when you take your ringing phone off the dock, your phone answers the call.
  13. #93  
    metal in the cover, magnets on the charger.

    Leave the stupid door open if you don't want to fumble with it. Lots of phones and devices have exposed connectors. It's not a big deal.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    metal in the cover, magnets on the charger.

    Leave the stupid door open if you don't want to fumble with it. Lots of phones and devices have exposed connectors. It's not a big deal.
    the door hangs and swings wildly off of the device. no, i'll just buy a touchstone.
  15. #95  
    I personally hate exposed connectors because stuff gets into them and bed things can happen so I am glad that they are covered. I will probably also buy a touchstone or two when the Pre actually hits stores.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    metal in the cover, magnets on the charger.

    Leave the stupid door open if you don't want to fumble with it. Lots of phones and devices have exposed connectors. It's not a big deal.
    would you say that to tom petty?
  17. #97  
    my bad. never looked. thought something as elegently designed as the Pre would have a nice sliding door for the connector and not some cheesey rubber push on door. Figures. Probably end up pulling it completely off anyway.

    and I'd say to Mick Jagger...
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i cant find the Pre video - but did you see the demo video where the dude opened the Pre's tiny little micro USB door? it did not look easy. i really dont want to fumble with that tiny little door every time i want to charge the phone. with the touchstone, i wont have to worry about it. but in the car, i will.
    This guy is wise. +2
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    This guy is wise. +2
    Yeah, hanh? wiseguy, hanh? Add 305 to the sum total.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions