Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    50 seems top to me before people start to scoff at the bundle.

Like I said before, 70 is managable for me... But it just seems a bit high for something with no moving parts that charges your phone.
    Let them charge as much as they want. Just makes the 3rd party mfg's that much happier
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Except that the battery cover for the Touchstone has stuff in it. It has an induction coil, and some electronics. I could see it being $20 or more by itself. Here's a link to a picture found by bryanharig.
    If the battery cover isn't included, to me this is way overpriced. $70 is already more than enough.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Like I said before, 70 is managable for me... But it just seems a bit high for something with no moving parts that charges your phone.
    Yea, 70 is nothing... I agree with gekko... I've paid this much for a round before... but then that was for a party of people. I'd like to serve gekko his favorite drink and tell him it is $70 and see what he says. At some point he/she will refuse to pay. We all have different limits.

But 70 seems high for this device... for a charger... strange to me that people would pay this much for a charger that still has to be "connected." Funny really.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Before the price: coolest thing on earth

After the price: not even new tech, we don't need it. Who does Palm think they are to charge like Apple does?
    There, I fixed it for you.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    is an extra $20 or $30 really that big of a deal to you guys? skip a few lunches out and you'll pay for the damn charger. some of you could probably stand to miss a few meals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    is an extra $20 or $30 really that big of a deal to you guys? skip a few lunches out and you'll pay for the damn charger. some of you could probably stand to miss a few meals.
    Glad I'm fit or I might have been offended...

I always take my lunch... anymore bright ideas for me to save money?

At any rate, I'd say it is about $30 to $40 too high.

It is not the money anyway... heck, it is really nothing, but I refuse to pay $70 for a charger that still needs to be connected. I'd rather spend that money on an external card. Wait... damn...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Though it's $70, I'd still get it in a heart beat.
    I'd still get it if it was 100$'s.

We in here are the hardcore though. I don't think Joe Blow consumer will be interested.
    I would get it if it was 10 bucks cheaper. That 70 bucks is hurting my eyes.
    Haha. Haven't seen that video in a while.
    It's hardly a gimmick. It's a method of charging that should be widely adpopted by every consumer electronics company. It's the fact that Palm makes it out to be "unique" to them is the gimmick. It's exemplified by the design of the touchstone charger. Yes, if you already have to connect the cable to go back and forth with files on your PC, then the charger is somewhat pointless. If you can do that via BT, then it'd be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Reality: The Touchstone is kind of a gimmick introduced as a differentiating feature for the Pre. It sounds cool, makes for a nice picture, and is easy for the press to talk about. Most people, though, will end up charging it just like any old phone which raises the question (not "begs the question" which is commonly misused) "Why bother with wireless sync when you've got to plug in your smartphone anyway?" At least when you charge with USB you usually get to sync at the same time.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    My point is that if you are not going to buy the $70 wireless charger and decide to charge via a USB cable, isn't wireless sync pointless?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Yes it IS, in my case. That would make the Touchstone about $100 MORE on top of the Pre price. It isn't about money but principle! I'm not giving anyone $100 for a phone charger that isn't expandable to other products. Even $70 is a lot. You go right ahead and pay it, but I will not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's hardly a gimmick. It's a method of charging that should be widely adpopted by every consumer electronics company.
    I hope it's not widely accepted. With a 75% efficiency in transferring power (compared to a wire's ~100% efficiency), wide scale deployment of these sorts of chargers would add up to even more wasted energy.

But what about the magnets that "stick" the Pre to the charger? Are those a problem in your pocket next to the credit cards in your wallet?
    Not really. I don't charge my phone until I go to bed as it sits on a cradle and acts as my alarm clock. But I'll be on the computer for a bit in the evening with no cable and have it bluetooth sync. I can do it while I have the phone with me in the kitchen. The only time I'll use the cable is if I'm transferring files that I know take time or when BT seems wonky (which we know never happens with a Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    My point is that if you are not going to buy the $70 wireless charger and decide to charge via a USB cable, isn't wireless sync pointless?
    From the screenshot of the Sprint memo Engadget posted it says "Palm Touchstone Charging Dock W Door", so it looks like it's the cover and charger.

Also Palm twittered : "Touchstone and its required back cover will be available as a bundle or separately"

Twitter / palm_inc: @NM08SRT8 @park Touchston ...

I know $70 isn't cheap, but Palm used to sell the Treo Charging Cradle for $59.99. It did come with an ac adapter and also a spot in the cradle to charge another battery. I and many others bought that for $60, $70 for wireless charging isn't too expensive for the technology and the "wow" factor. If it's too expensive Palm's not forcing anyone to buy it.

Apple sells the iPhone 3G Dock for $29.99, you get the dock that's it.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...jMxOA#overview
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 04/15/2009 at 08:43 AM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I hope it's not widely accepted. With a 75% efficiency in transferring power (compared to a wire's ~100% efficiency), wide scale deployment of these sorts of chargers would add up to even more wasted energy.

But what about the magnets that "stick" the Pre to the charger? Are those a problem in your pocket next to the credit cards in your wallet?
    The magnets are in the charger, not the device.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    About $30 too high for an item that's NICE to have but not NECESSARY to have.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast