Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    back in college (early 90s) my beers were 25 cents a draft on tues, thurs, and sun! and the pizza was 25 cents a slice! you could have a hell of a night for $5 - which is about all we had back then!!!
    would that happen to be 1890's??
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    back in college (early 90s) my beers were 25 cents a draft on tues, thurs, and sun! and the pizza was 25 cents a slice! you could have a hell of a night for $5 - which is about all we had back then!!!
    Hot damn I need a time machine.

I don't suppose the induction coils in the Touchstone back can be modified to work as a flux capacitor...
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I'm not hurtin'. Doesn't mean I want to blindly spend money on overpriced, limited use, over-engineered gadgets. Now if they would've put in a spare battery charger and made it more cradle like with adjustable viewing angles I could justify dropping $70 on it because it would sit on my nightstand at a more upright angle so it's easier to see while I sleep as it charges my Pre and spare battery since we all know a decent day's use will most likely eat through one. If they did that, they would sell quite a few more along with a spare battery to boot. And we know how much markup there is in batteries.

If I want to pay a premium for newer technology, I'll buy a WildCharge Charger Pad for $50 that I can take with me on vacation and charge my Pany shaver and Sonicare toothbrush at the same time. Imagine that. Using the technology how it was designed to be used.
    i don't know what your finanical situation is right now and i don't want to know.

but i spend more than this for a round of drinks. this is chump change.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I'd buy it for $30. I'd think about it for $40. $50 or higher, forget it.

$70 conjures up expletives.
    Yeah, agreed. i was thinking if I got a 50% discount on it if I bought it with the Pre I'd consider it.
    I guessed $69.99 out of pessimism a while ago, I wish I had been wrong!

It is a little painful since I will need about 4 of them. (home for me, home for my GF, my work, her laboratory)

At that price I may just wait a little while and pick them up from ebay/amazon/et al.
    New technology??? My toothbrush has been doing this for years!
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    palm AND sprint need to make money and if this pricing for the touchstone and back is true, it will hurt their bottom line. think of when you go into a store looking for the latest and greatest, you will impulse buy in a heartbeat UNLESS there is one factor to make you really think about it...PRICE!! i was planning on getting 2 for myself and 1 for my fiance (for when she's staying the night at shrute farms) and figured somewhere in the $40 range for the bundles (x2) and a separate touchstone for work which would easily result n 3 touchstones and 2 back covers being sold without ANY hesitation and me spending about $90-$120 and money in their pockets!! Throw in that $70 price and you have people walking away from the table altogether without a single unit sold!! $70 for the bundle=FAIL economics!! Do what you need to so you can MOVE units and not have people rethinking how much it'll cost them in the moment sprint and palm!! The GOAL should be to have each and every person that buys a pre to walk out of the store with the touchstone and back in their hand b/c if they leave the store without the touchstone, then THAT is massive money being left on the table!!

$70 = FAIL. $70 = FAIL. EPIC FAIL. FAIL, FAIL, FAIL. EPIC, EPIC, FAIL.

FAIL. FAIL. FAIL FAIL.

E. P. I. C. F.A.I.L.....

The $70 for bundle = FAIL economics.

Don't we all just love this hyper use of the whole"FAIL" phraseology these days? Gotta love it.

FAIL = YOU if ya don't.

Uggh.
    I'm buying 2.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    You guys need to comr visit my bar. I would never charge you that much.

Tip me a minimun of 15% though... Unless you want an angry Goat on your hands. (You don't want to see a randy Goat)

70$'s isn't a huge problem to dish out. It still seems a bit much for an inductive charger though. I think the thing that would make the 70$'s worth it would be that battery door. It looks more comforatable to put in the hand. I like the slightly rubberized stuff more than the glossy iceberg texture stuff. Minimilizes my risk of dropping my precious Pre.

My precious...
  10.    #50  
    I absorbed everybody's opinion on this and I can't help but think that this was leaked on purpose by Palm or Sprint to see the peoples reaction and see what a good price would be. The Engadget post doesn't even have a source, they don't even mention who sent it in.

Hmm, and the theories begin. I guess I got too much Pre info for one day...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Could've been worse. 70 seems fair for it considering what the usual stuff costs.
    Just what I thought when I saw this. I knew it had to be more than $50. This does not look good for the price of the Pre though...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    $70 for this dang charger is a bad sign. It's a bad sign that they maybe really do think the Pre should only be marketed to those rich enough to double their plan cost to get the Pre and not care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    $70 for this dang charger is a bad sign. It's a bad sign that they maybe really do think the Pre should only be marketed to those rich enough to double their plan cost to get the Pre and not care.
    And everyone is rich and there is no depression going on right now at all!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Before the price: coolest thing on earth

After the price: not even new tech, we don't need it. Who does Palm think they are to charge like other companies do?
    Reality: The Touchstone is kind of a gimmick introduced as a differentiating feature for the Pre. It sounds cool, makes for a nice picture, and is easy for the press to talk about. Most people, though, will end up charging it just like any old phone which raises the question (not "begs the question" which is commonly misused) "Why bother with wireless sync when you've got to plug in your smartphone anyway?" At least when you charge with USB you usually get to sync at the same time.

The Classic Palm OS emulator will bring more the same. Great compatibilty feature! That'll be $49.99. I'm sure that plenty of people around here will buy anyway, but how many of the other 990,000 other essential Pre buyers are going to want to pay the freight required to use the features that make the Pre worth having?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    I absorbed everybody's opinion on this and I can't help but think that this was leaked on purpose by Palm or Sprint to see the peoples reaction and see what a good price would be. The Engadget post doesn't even have a source, they don't even mention who sent it in.

Hmm, and the theories begin. I guess I got too much Pre info for one day...
    As a former Sprint employee, I think the screenshot looks very real. It wouldnt be the first time accessories were hideously marked up.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think $50 would've been the sweet spot to hit for being low enough to be believable but high enough that Sprint and Palm are happy.

Someone saying $19.99 is out of their frigging mind.

I know for my Diamond most official cradles, just normal cradles, are in the $40+ range so I don't see something with new tech...and it is new tech for a device this power heavy...being more than that too outrageous.

I think they'll sell a good bit of these the first month or so its out, but they're going to need to bring the price down at some point.
    For the Treo, I got an official Palm cradle for about $15, but I know they retail for at least $40+. On that note, the cradle charges and syncs. The touchstone on the other hand charges and.... charges. It's cool, but it really doesn't do much. It would make sense if they made the touchstone like 30-40 and then sold the battery cover for 5-10. Anything over $10 for a battery cover would be insane.
    What goes up must come down. If it is too high wait, it'll come down. Wait long enough it'll be free. If it becomes free would you still want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    For the Treo, I got an official Palm cradle for about $15, but I know they retail for at least $40+. On that note, the cradle charges and syncs. The touchstone on the other hand charges and.... charges. It's cool, but it really doesn't do much. It would make sense if they made the touchstone like 30-40 and then sold the battery cover for 5-10. Anything over $10 for a battery cover would be insane.
    Except that the battery cover for the Touchstone has stuff in it. It has an induction coil, and some electronics. I could see it being $20 or more by itself. Here's a link to a picture found by bryanharig.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast