Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    An interesting tidbit appears in the new 45 minute CTIA hands-on video mentioned in this thread:

45 minute video thread

At about 4:00 before the end of the video, the marketdroid says something like:

"Touchstone is the name of the entire line of products. This is the first touchstone product in the family, the charging dock."

Ooooo, what other touchstone goodies can we look forward to? Gentlemen, start speculating. I'm predicting bluetooth stereo headphones, to go along with that nice built-in A2DP. Would mesh nicely with the wireless theme of the charger.
    Now this is interesting. How about a touchstone printer? Or a touchstone speaker system?
    Quote Originally Posted by KenYoung View Post
    Now this is interesting. How about a touchstone printer? Or a touchstone speaker system?
    Considering that Touchstone is just the charger, I don't see the practicality in the printer - you would have to connect with Bluetooth anyway, so why bother? Speakers, I can see a case for that, but even then, you'd still want to connect with Bluetooth.

What I want is a super-magnetic automotive Touchstone. Preferably with Bluetooth (with line-out) and a wireless remote for wireless automotive musical fun.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Hmm...I wonder if it's possible the touchstone charging technology has some capability in addition to inductive charging? Perhaps, identifying the type of device the Pre is docked to and initiating a bluetooth link? The touchstone dock is just a charger and would have no use for such a capability, but perhaps future touchstone devices would have additional functionality besides charging?

The car-based touchstone is definitely in the cards though; many people would find that very useful. I don't know if Palm would legally want to secure a Pre with purely magnetic force in a moving vehicle for any potential liability reasons, but they could create some kind of super-easy-to-operate clip that you put the pre in and still employ an inductive charging system.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I really hope they make a touchstone with the ability to connect to a pc's usb port.

just place the pre on the touchstone. the pre becomes available as a mass storage device on the pc. Mediamonkey/itunes/*insert your preferred backup program here* automatically syncs everyting from and to the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    I really hope they make a touchstone with the ability to connect to a pc's usb port.

just place the pre on the touchstone. the pre becomes available as a mass storage device on the pc. Mediamonkey/itunes/*insert your preferred backup program here* automatically syncs everyting from and to the pre.
    That is the best assumption of "other Touchstone ideas" I have seen here, other than some sort of car charger. Technology is starting to move in a scary direction for me (loads of "cool" stuff, with huge holes in security), but I am starting to come around

I also really hope they do this. Not sure I am going to get a touchstone, but if it functioned as a full dock I definetly would. It would probably be fairly easy to execute too...When the pre detects it is charging without the cable in, it could automatically activate a predetermined special bluetooth or wifi connection with the touchstone allowing file transfer(I say predetermined special because it should require 0 configuration and work with any touchstone you connect it to).
    I'm also hoping for a car charger. Can't wait to try out the A2DP over the bluetooth system in my car.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    I'll be doing my best to get ProClip to make a car cradle with an induction back. I would guess the cradle should be designed to hold the phone in the open position, or they could make one for open and one for closed. I'm wondering of the curvature of the slide would make it too difficult to allow for both. That's just a guess. Contacted a few of the people at Palm via FB, but no dice in getting a dummy, non working model or whatever into ProClip's hands before launch. Would've been nice to have a car solution at launch of soon after instead of 2-3 months. Though I could probably just use the padded adjustable holder and take apart a touchstone or maybe an electric razor charger and create my own induction back.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    I'm also hoping for a car charger. Can't wait to try out the A2DP over the bluetooth system in my car.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'll be doing my best to get ProClip to make a car cradle with an induction back. I would guess the cradle should be designed to hold the phone in the open position, or they could make one for open and one for closed. I'm wondering of the curvature of the slide would make it too difficult to allow for both. That's just a guess. Contacted a few of the people at Palm via FB, but no dice in getting a dummy, non working model or whatever into ProClip's hands before launch. Would've been nice to have a car solution at launch of soon after instead of 2-3 months. Though I could probably just use the padded adjustable holder and take apart a touchstone or maybe an electric razor charger and create my own induction back.

Keep the pressure on. Maybe they have someone else into it already.
    Not yet unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Keep the pressure on. Maybe they have someone else into it already.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

I like your thinking, I'd like to connect via Bluetooth as well even though it might not be as fast as USB 2.0, it would much more convenient.
    Last edited by Palmfood; 04/11/2009 at 03:22 PM.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    An in car Touchstone charger would be great!
    Well my email to ProClip about it was to get in touch with splashpower or wildcharge about the induction pad. The two companies that I know of that do induction pads. For the cradle, just have a dc input on it so you could use either a car charger or a home ac charger. This way you could buy one for the car and for home. Screw the Touchstone one. I'd rather have a standard cradle that sits more upright for the nightstand. Then you wouldn't need the special battery cover either.

I told them that they would have a huge hit on their hands if they could pull it off. The other question is if it's possible to make a cradle that will hold the Pre whether it's open or close, and if not, do you make the cradle so it holds it in the closed or open position. I'm wondering if the curve of the slider would make it difficult to make a cradle that allows it to slide open and still maintain a secure fit.
    well i accidentally started a new thread after seeing this article today and can't remove it, grrrr...anyway, lots of interesting tidbits so give it a glance.

PreThinking - Your Source for Palm Pre News - Palm hints at new Touchstone Product Line, Inductive data transferring?
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Oh, I thought the charging dock was included... lol...

I'd pay extra if it could charge the phone from up to 20 feet away...

Outside of that, I can't think of anything else that might be of use... at least not served with current technologies.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Would be interesting to add UWB for syncing.

Do it like what they did back in the older Nokia phones. You can add Bluetooth to a phone just by a new battery (in particular the 6210's Bluetooth Battery), and in this case a new back cover.
    You don't need to buy the cover for induction charging. The only thing the back cover does is provide metal the magnets in the touchstone use to hold the Pre in place. You could put a couple egrips on the back of the battery cover, and it'd probably hold just fine. You could also take a small piece of black plastic and crazy glue it to the bottom edge of the touchstone so it'd hold the Pre semi cradle like.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    You don't need to buy the cover for induction charging. The only thing the back cover does is provide metal the magnets in the touchstone use to hold the Pre in place.
    I'm not an electrical engineer, but I don't think this is true. I assume the back includes the coil they use to inductively couple the pre's battery to the coil on the touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I'm not an electrical engineer, but I don't think this is true. I assume the back includes the coil they use to inductively couple the pre's battery to the coil on the touchstone.
    I used to think so too, but the more I think about it, the more I think that would be unworkable. The cover would then have to connect to the battery in some way, perhaps with some kind of spring-loaded contacts, but I would think that puts unnecessary bulk into the cover. I am now thinking it's more likely that the coil is inside the Pre already and the cover just provides a nice piece of metal for the magnets and a grippier surface material.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast