Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post #11 on this thread has a link to a photo, purportedly of the back that is used with the Touchstone. It shows some electronics as part of the back, which I interpreted as the secondary coil, power rectification/conditioning circuit, and battery connections -- just my guesses.

Of course, I made post #12 on that thread, questioning one of the comments that was made in the link.
    Last edited by Dr J; 04/13/2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'll be doing my best to get ProClip to make a car cradle with an induction back. I would guess the cradle should be designed to hold the phone in the open position, or they could make one for open and one for closed. I'm wondering of the curvature of the slide would make it too difficult to allow for both. That's just a guess. Contacted a few of the people at Palm via FB, but no dice in getting a dummy, non working model or whatever into ProClip's hands before launch. Would've been nice to have a car solution at launch of soon after instead of 2-3 months. Though I could probably just use the padded adjustable holder and take apart a touchstone or maybe an electric razor charger and create my own induction back.
    I have been a Proclips user for my last 3 phones and last 2 cars. An induction charger back would be fantastic! I dont need, nor would I trust the magnets to hold the phone in place for the car, but having the charger work without having to plug in the USB cable would be great.

On the question of holding the phone in the Open or Closed position, I think closed would work nicely for the car. I use my Treo for 2 things while driving - GPS and audio playback. Both of those apps should be fine with the Pre closed.

Is there anything that we can do to support your efforts in convincing Proclips to build a holder with an induction charging back?
    Last edited by swieder; 04/13/2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    Post #11 on this thread has a link to a photo, purportedly of the back that is used with the Touchstone. It shows some electronics as part of the back, which I interpreted as the secondary coil, power rectification/conditioning circuit, and battery connections -- just my guesses.

Of course, I made post #12 on that thread, questioning one of the comments that was made in the link.
    Certainly looks like a coil. But I don't see any contacts--do you see them anywhere? At any rate, I stand corrected. Can't believe I missed this picture!

Edit: nevermind, I see them--two small conductive pads on the top of the PCB. I even see the rub marks on them from where the Pre side of the equation makes contact. There must be some springy contacts on the Pre side. Now I have to find a picture of the Pre with the battery cover off!
    Last edited by jbg7474; 04/13/2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Wouldn't an inductive coupling technology cause problems with credit card magnet stripes? I could see putting a wallet near touchstone or under the Pre and having issues. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by quick death View Post
    Wouldn't an inductive coupling technology cause problems with credit card magnet stripes? I could see putting a wallet near touchstone or under the Pre and having issues. Any thoughts?
    Just some speculation...the touchstone might be designed with an energy saving feature not to draw current and generate a magnetic field at all until the Pre is held in place with the permanent magnets (possibly closing a switch in the Touchstone). While the Pre is not connected, that would protect any credit cards on your desk (and conceivably even on top of the Touchstone, though I wouldn't recommend it). Then, perhaps the system could be designed to keep the magnetic field confined within a very short range between the Touchstone and Pre coils. In that case you would only be risking credit cards that you place between the Touchstone and the Pre. If that's how you take care of things, you don't deserve a Pre. All just speculation....
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    Just some speculation...the touchstone might be designed with an energy saving feature not to draw current and generate a magnetic field at all until the Pre is held in place with the permanent magnets (possibly closing a switch in the Touchstone). While the Pre is not connected, that would protect any credit cards on your desk (and conceivably even on top of the Touchstone, though I wouldn't recommend it). Then, perhaps the system could be designed to keep the magnetic field confined within a very short range between the Touchstone and Pre coils. In that case you would only be risking credit cards that you place between the Touchstone and the Pre. If that's how you take care of things, you don't deserve a Pre. All just speculation....
    Interesting... I had expected the Touchstone to use regular old magnets to secure the phone to the charger, but low-power proximity-triggered electromagnets are an interesting idea. I hope that is the route Palm has taken.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I wasn't really thinking anything quite so clever. I was going more for permanent magnets that, when attracted to metal objects in the Pre case, close a (mechanical?) switch to activate the induction circuit. Those permanent magnets would be the reason I wouldn't recommend credit cards being placed on an idle Touchstone.
    Dr J

I think the Pre has a Warp-core containment field that keeps the matter/anti-matter confined. The flux capacitor converts the fields energy into electrical current. The containment field should keep your credit cards safe.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I think the Pre has a Warp-core containment field that keeps the matter/anti-matter confined. The flux capacitor converts the fields energy into electrical current. The containment field should keep your credit cards safe.
    That's all good, but just to be safe they should provide a new type of credit card that includes an electromagnetic field sensor that triggers a firehose dump of the contents of the magentic stripe to an optical persistent storage device, and then when the credit card is not within the proximity of an electromagnetic field, a restore mechanism reads the optical persistent storage device and rewrites the data to the magnetic stripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    That's all good, but just to be safe they should provide a new type of credit card that includes an electromagnetic field sensor that triggers a firehose dump of the contents of the magentic stripe to an optical persistent storage device, and then when the credit card is not within the proximity of an electromagnetic field, a restore mechanism reads the optical persistent storage device and rewrites the data to the magnetic stripe.
    Have you guys got your patent ROIs on file yet?
    Dr J

Quote Originally Posted by KenYoung View Post
    Now this is interesting. How about a touchstone printer? Or a touchstone speaker system?
    Or a Touchstone projector for mobile presentations, or watching movies!
    1. Is there any evidence that the Touchstone can transmit data?

2. Would there be any reason at all, to transmit data this way as opposed to Wifi or Bluetooth?

3. Do you really think it's a good idea to have magnets in a smartphone that actually rests against credit cards and other magnetized cards?
    how about a paramedic team consisting of Touchstone Rangers on standby 24/7 stationed by your Touchstone.. to stay alert they enjoy skateboarding on the slope of the Touchstone.

when your Pre battery status is low, it does the thinking for you. it pushes out a SOS un-obstructive notification. your Pre Rangers skates to your starving Pre following GPS turn by turn navigation. once located, on a count of Pre they lift your Pre onto their skateboards and wheel it to the nearest Touchstone charging system.

while your Pre juices up, also stationed there are Touchstone Janitors.. and if you paid for their monthly services, they provide a full body grease wipe
    Quote Originally Posted by truffles View Post
    how about a paramedic team consisting of Touchstone Rangers on standby 24/7 stationed by your Touchstone.. to stay alert they enjoy skateboarding on the slope of the Touchstone.

when your Pre battery status is low, it does the thinking for you. it pushes out a SOS un-obstructive notification. your Pre Rangers skates to your starving Pre following GPS turn by turn navigation. once located, on a count of Pre they lift your Pre onto their skateboards and wheel it to the nearest Touchstone charging system.

while your Pre juices up, also stationed there are Touchstone Janitors.. and if you paid for their monthly services, they provide a full body grease wipe
    Wow... That's all I have to say... Is Wow...

(Quite funny)
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12