1.    #1  
    I am one of those that like to put their phones in their pocket whenever possible. I don't like holsters.

So it just occurred to me, is the Pre going to get stuck with my keys and whatever else in my pocket that might be metal? Am I going to get up from sitting in a meeting and have the Pre, in my pocket, attached to my zipper? Is it going to "snap" to anything metallic like drinking fountains, that I brush against?

I'm wondering if the magnets for the touchstone are built into the phone or the cover but either way I don't know how these things might not occur.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I believe the magnets are actually in the Touchstone. The back cover of the phone will have a metallic lining, but no magnets. Someone can (and most certainly will) correct me if I'm mistaken.
    I cannot possibly imagine any magnetic part of the battery cover being something that would stick to a water fountain. While that scenario is exaggerated, it would be pretty cool to 'hang' your phone up on your desk if not charging.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  4.    #4  
    In the videos it says that carefully arranged magnets in the Pre make it stick to the touchstone. So why would it not stick to other stuff?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    The magnets are in the Touchstone.

From Palm's site.

Attach this charging dock to your desk and watch how quickly it becomes home for your PalmŪ Pre™ phone. Simply place your Palm Pre on the Touchstone™ charging dock, and magnets in the dock quickly align your phone in the correct position for charging. Charge while you’re checking your calendar or watching videos in portrait or landscape mode.1 Set your Pre on the dock when you're on a call and the speakerphone automatically turns on. And when you take your ringing phone off the dock, your phone answers the call.

Requires Palm Pre Touchstone back cover, sold separately. Wall charger provided with Pre is also required for use.
    You don't need to worry about the magnets in any part of the phone or the charger. These are not "magnets" like what you put on a refrigerator. Instead, it is actually a magnetic field being created by the charger.

If you know physics, the charger concept is based off of Faraday's Law of Induction (Faraday's law of induction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

This isn't really that new of a concept. Most electric toothbrushes charge off of the same physics principal (there is typically no wires, etc, just a base stand which the toothbrush stands on).

Here's a simple explanation for how it works in the toothbrush example: http://home.howstuffworks.com/question292.htm
  7.    #7  
    I have a good understanding of what induction charging is.

If the magnets don't work like magnets on a refrigerator then what exactly is making the phone "stick" to the touchstone? Why did Palm say that they arranged the magnets so it would lock the phone into place horizontal or vertically?
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I cannot possibly imagine any magnetic part of the battery cover being something that would stick to a water fountain. While that scenario is exaggerated, it would be pretty cool to 'hang' your phone up on your desk if not charging.
    Ahhh....

But I wonder if that would be a deal breaker?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    There are most definitely magnets in the Touchstone, read my previous post. If you have watched any of the videos of somebody placing the Pre on the Touchstone, it snaps into place. It's not just resting on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bschlinker View Post
    You don't need to worry about the magnets in any part of the phone or the charger. These are not "magnets" like what you put on a refrigerator. Instead, it is actually a magnetic field being created by the charger.

If you know physics, the charger concept is based off of Faraday's Law of Induction (Faraday's law of induction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

This isn't really that new of a concept. Most electric toothbrushes charge off of the same physics principal (there is typically no wires, etc, just a base stand which the toothbrush stands on).

Here's a simple explanation for how it works in the toothbrush example: HowStuffWorks "How can an electric toothbrush recharge its batteries when there are no metal contacts between the toothbrush and the base?"
    the magnets are in the touchstone, that's why it requires a different back cover to use with the touchstone. the actual charging process as bschlinker described. As dave75 described though, the magnets on the touchstone are used to hold the Pre in place.
    For anyone with more questions about how it works see this picture of the replacement battery door: Palm Pre's prototype case backing on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Quote from the above link: "The Pre's backing is still under development, but in this shot we can see how the four magnets align the Pre with its cordless Touchstone charger. Very sweet."

I'm not convinced at all that I see four magnets in that photo. Perhaps four metal parts that are attracted to magnets inside the Touchstone.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20