Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use my Centro as my mp3 player. When I get in my car I use a tape adapter along with a power adapter for music. The wires look horrible and it can be a pain getting everything setup every time I get in the car.

I was thinking about how cool the touchstone charger is. Mounted on a dashboard at the correct angle, it makes a good solution for a car cradle for music and GPS.

This, along with an A2DP deck would be wonderful. You could set the Pre to switch over to the A2DP deck whenever it is in range, so you would have a seamless transfer from outside to inside the car without doing anything. You just need to mount the Pre on the touchstone charger. My dream come true.

What do you guys think?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    It would be great, but the Touchstone won't work with car power. There's been a lot of discussion on that already.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It would be great, but the Touchstone won't work with car power. There's been a lot of discussion on that already.
    Even with a DC-AC adapter?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    sounds like a great thought, but there's a few things with that setup that I would particularly not like or wouldn't work. I'm guessing one big thing is that the magnets would have to be even more powerful in the car for it to be able to withstand quick stops and starts. As for GPS, I wouldn't replace my navigation system with the Pre because I would prefer the larger navigation system screens. As for A2DP, that might be a good option, but I dunno how great the stereo sound would be yet through that.
    Will that work with a laptop voltage adapter (the ones you plug into a car)? That has the 3 prong adapter. It would be cumbersome for sure, I guess palm can go ahead and reinvent the wheel and make a car touchstone adapter.
    Will that work with a laptop voltage adapter (the ones you plug into a car)? That has the 3 prong adapter. It would be cumbersome for sure, I guess palm can go ahead and reinvent the wheel and make a car touchstone adapter.

I know I will get an extra battery too!
    From what I gathered from the previous posts on the subject, you'd need to buy one of those power inverters that lets you plug in and gives AC. Not to mention that while the magnets in the Touchstone might be good, who knows how well they'll work over bumps and that sort of thing.
  8.    #8  
    Also if you power off your car the phone would fall off! :lol:
    With Bluetooth in my BMW, I could totally see a great wireless music library at my fingertips every time I get in the car.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Also if you power off your car the phone would fall off! :lol:
    I doubt it. They are plain old magnets AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $not$ $electromagnets$.

Why are people assuming a car charger will not power the Touchstone? It looks like you just plug a standard micro-USB charger into it for power. Why couldnt a car charger take the place of the AC charger?
    Now there's an interesting question.... I have assumed that the Touchstone uses AC in order to deliver induction charging to the Pre. Is it really powered by a USB cable?
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I doubt it. They are plain old magnets AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $not$ $electromagnets$.

Why are people assuming a car charger will not power the Touchstone? It looks like you just plug a standard micro-USB charger into it for power. Why couldnt a car charger take the place of the AC charger?
    The other thread had more technical details on it, but apparently you need AC power in order to use create an induction effect.
    Interesting. Do you have a link to that thread?
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I'm thinking too many bumps in the road for me to put my Pre on it. Don't want it falling off while driving. In the touchstone videos it looks like the can movie it from horizontal to vertical pretty easily. I guess if you have prefect roads that is good but where I live the highways are like an airport runway...

Make a car cradle for it!
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    sounds like a great thought, but there's a few things with that setup that I would particularly not like or wouldn't work. I'm guessing one big thing is that the magnets would have to be even more powerful in the car for it to be able to withstand quick stops and starts. As for GPS, I wouldn't replace my navigation system with the Pre because I would prefer the larger navigation system screens. As for A2DP, that might be a good option, but I dunno how great the stereo sound would be yet through that.
    As far as the sound, I think it will work out great. I currently have a Sony stereo in my car with A2DP capabilities. I also have the Softick Audio Gateway on my TREO 755P and it works flawlessly for listening to pocketunes, Kinoma. The only exception is when you want to Watch Slingmobile or a movie and stream the audio at the same time. That doesnt work to well
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    I will stick with my Proclips holder once I get my Pre.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I've bugged the Palm guys on facebook to have them send ProClip a Pre to make an induction charging cradle. It wouldn't be hard at all. The only difficult thing would be to create it so it can hold the Pre and allow it to open. The curved and very well integrated slider might make it difficult.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    No, the best option would be a 32GB Pre containing a 32GB microSDHC card. That'd give you enough storage for many, many roadtrips! For high-bitrate audio files + a handful of videos + whatever else you want to carry onboard, 8GB is quickly becoming inadequate for a lot of users.

On that note, perhaps Palm can revisit the 2nd-gen Treo Pro and make it Touchstone compatible? The Pro's design make for a better choice in the car (no slider to get in the way and it has a microSD card slot).
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast