Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    With Bluetooth in my BMW, I could totally see a great wireless music library at my fingertips every time I get in the car.
    What are you driving? I didnt know that OEM BMW decks were now A2DP compatible or BT 2.0 IOW.

I have a BMW and my 700P SUCKS with my cars BT set up. HATE it.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    No, the best option would be a 32GB Pre containing a 32GB microSDHC card. That'd give you enough storage for many, many roadtrips! For high-bitrate audio files + a handful of videos + whatever else you want to carry onboard, 8GB is quickly becoming inadequate for a lot of users.
    Aren't there already enough posts about the flash size by now?
    can there ever really be enough?

Seriously though, if enough people keep taking shots at it over time, doesn't it say a little bit about its importance to people? I used to think it was a select four or five people, but new people seem to take random shots every now and then in quite a few threads. I see it more and more on facebook discussions too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Aren't there already enough posts about the flash size by now?
    In regards to BT, it's pretty well known how Palm's use of it stinks. I'd like to chalk it up to the PalmOS and that it won't carry over to an OS built from the ground up including BT from the get go.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  4.    #24  
    I have read in multiple first hand accounts that the magnets in the touchstone are quite strong. Strong enough that you can pick up the touchstone with the phone if the touchstone isn't suctioned to the surface.

So I am pretty certain it will hold up in a car. I am already starting to piece together what I need.

I can get 150W DC to AC power inverter for 20 bucks. Not sure if the touchstone will need more but I doubt it. I might spend more for a physically smaller inverter box but I am still looking.

I have an 02 IS300 without the NAV option so I have a perfect little platform for the touchstone.

The angle of the touchstone might be too weak for me to get a clear view of the phone, so I might need to prop the back of the touchstone up a bit.

Next step is to get an A2DP deck. I haven't even started looking yet.

Thoughts?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Lexises and Beemers.....I think palm found it's FAT MIDDLE
    Folks, I really doubt the touchstone is going to have 110V AC pumping through it. Anybody who knows the basics of electronics could build an oscillator that would make the inductive coupling the touchstone uses work. Besides, you're want a frequency and voltage that are a little easier (as far as component size) to get down to TTL DC (5V) than 60hz 110V AC.

The guts of the touchtone prob look like this:

5V (usb) -> Oscillator -> Inductor -> air gap to pre -> Inductor -> rectifier -> yummy pre friendly DC
    bluetooth sound quality can't be better than a direct aux in from the headphone jack. I'll stick with my jack connection.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    You could get power to it, thats not an issue (if you can get a car-puter in your ride, you can charge a phone).

The issue is the Touchstone is slanted & meant to be laid flat with the phone's face looking upwards. There would be nowhere on the front dash that you could lay it so you can easily view it. And what would be the point of sticking it up on top of your dash where you couldnt see it?? You can do that without the Touchstone.

Even if you could somehow get it on your front dash, it wouldnt stay there. The Pre slides around on the Touchstone EASY (watch this video). If they made a flat Touchstone & your car wasnt bumpy, then maybe MAYBE it would work, but as it is now, its just not happening.

My advice is to just get a good solid dock, like from ProClip. I've used them for years for all my gadgets in my car & they truly make the best stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post

The issue is the Touchstone is slanted & meant to be laid flat with the phone's face looking upwards. There would be nowhere on the front dash that you could lay it so you can easily view it. And what would be the point of sticking it up on top of your dash where you couldnt see it?? You can do that without the Touchstone.

Even if you could somehow get it on your front dash, it wouldnt stay there. The Pre slides around on the Touchstone EASY (watch this video). If they made a flat Touchstone & your car wasnt bumpy, then maybe MAYBE it would work, but as it is now, its just not happening.

My advice is to just get a good solid dock, like from ProClip. I've used them for years for all my gadgets in my car & they truly make the best stuff.

Okay.. there's a few points to respond to here. First of all, you could just as easily turn the Touchstone so that it's backwards. The Pre can go on it in any orientation and still charge. If its backwards, then it'd tilt down.

As for the sliding around on the Touchstone on the Jimmy Fallon show, Palm has said that was because of how they had to set it up to be seen on TV. And I've seen a picture where it was attached at a pretty steep angle and stayed put, so I believe it. As for the bumpiness of the car, yeah that'd probably jar the phone off of the magnets.

As for ProClip stuff, sure it's great, but it's ridiculously expensive (even more so than the Touchstone- I believe it's $60-70 just for pieces of metal/ plastic with absolutely no electronics inside, but I can't confirm because the site isn't loading right now) and it doesn't charge unless you attach the wire to the side of the phone.

A better solution would be a Palm-made combination of the two. In other words, Palm should start working on a car-specific Touchstone model (since they say Touchstone describes a whole line of products.) The perfect product for that, as far as I'm concerned, is as follows.

They could remove the magnets and make it a more standard dock/mount that the phone slides into, and incorporate the Touchstone charging technology into the back piece of it. I'd assume most people wouldn't care if you can freely rotate the phone in the car or not, but if people did they could attach a swivel mount.

And since Palm obviously can't make something for every single type of car out there like Proclips can, they'd hypothetically sell this with vent clips and a suction cup attachment.... but also have it compatible with one of the types of standards that you can attach to an existing Proclips vehicle mount.

I personally think just dropping the phone onto a dock of some kind rather than having to search for cables to plug in is even more important in a car setup than at home on a desk. When I'm driving somewhere, I'm usually in a rush, and don't want to have to fiddle with things before I can go.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay.. there's a few points to respond to here. First of all, you could just as easily turn the Touchstone so that it's backwards. The Pre can go on it in any orientation and still charge. If its backwards, then it'd tilt down.

As for the sliding around on the Touchstone on the Jimmy Fallon show, Palm has said that was because of how they had to set it up to be seen on TV. And I've seen a picture where it was attached at a pretty steep angle and stayed put, so I believe it. As for the bumpiness of the car, yeah that'd probably jar the phone off of the magnets.

As for ProClip stuff, sure it's great, but it's ridiculously expensive (even more so than the Touchstone- I believe it's $60-70 just for pieces of metal/ plastic with absolutely no electronics inside, but I can't confirm because the site isn't loading right now) and it doesn't charge unless you attach the wire to the side of the phone.
    You could turn the Touchstone anyway you wanted & it wouldnt matter. If you somehow mounted the Touchstone on the front dash where its sticking out instead of laying down, say next to your radio controls somewhere, the Pre itslef would be at such an angle that it would be hitting the flat part of your dash. I dont even think it could lay down on the Touchstone at all honestly unless you turned the Pre in landscape, but that would cause problems with just basic operations.

Like you said, the only way its happening is if Palm comes out with a car solution where the Touchstone is completely flat so its mountable & makes the magnets really REALLY strong. You cant have any unintentional movement of the device itself while you're fiddling with it while driving. Think about it, if it wasnt solid & secure it would be all over the place, especially when you go to use the touchscreen pressing on it.

Take it from me, I've owned a LOT of car solutions for my gadgets. Some crappy, some great. All the great ones were solid & secure. BTW, the Proclips arent nearly that expensive for the device holders. They're maybe $25-$35 depending on what type you get. There is an initial "cradle" that fits your specific car model that you gotta get first, but thats only a one-time purchase. After that, its just the device holders you gotta worry about.

I agree though. They're expensive, but they're worth it. I'm picky as hell about this stuff & wont take anything less in my car. Their site is down now for some reason though.
    I'm trying my best to get proclip to make an induction charging cradle for true docking type experience. Won't be able to do much of anything until they get their hands on a Pre, and from what Palm has told me, that's not happening till launch or so, so it will just take time.

And fyi...the initial setup of a dash mount for your vehicle and tilt swivel cradle goes for $74.50. I can save you about $10 off of that. There's also a padded adjustable cradle that would work well with Pre that's about $5 more. You wouldn't be able to open and close it, but it would work well in the closed position. You'd need one specifically designed for the Pre for the open and closing most likely if they can design it all. The curved slider might prove difficult, but you never know.
    From the Pre-Launch pdf file in another thread.

Palm Touchstone Charging Dock Bundle with Battery Door
    PDP5858Q
    $69.99
    Place the Pre on the Touchstone, and magnets quickly align it in the correct charging position.
    Charge while checking your calendar, making a call, or watching videos in portrait or landscape mode.
    No cables or connectors required to attach your phone to the dock
    Includes Touchstone capable battery door
    Requires AC wall charger or USB data cable, provided with device (or additional sold separately)
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I want a carstone type mount for the Palm Pre in my car. I'd connect the carstone to a bluetooth cigarette lighter powered device with usb out (for power) and aux out for high quality audio to my car speaker. A product like that is my venturi (www(dot)myventuri(dot)com). So basically when I connect my pre to the carstone, it activates bluetooth on my Pre and powers it up. The bluetooth connects to the venturi like device which feeds the audio through aux out to my speakers..

At least that's the plan.. The only issue is that there is to carstone currently available and myventuri could be a better product...
  14.    #34  
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  15.    #35  
    I just bought the following for 20 bucks shipped overnight from monoprice.

2x Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black

3x USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 3ft

2x USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft

2x High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - Black
    Let us know if those chargers from monoprice work. I am very eager to get some myself.
    The monoprice charger works, but it doesn't provide enough power to positively charge the phone while you're using Sprint Navigator. Many USB car chargers have this same problem, regardless of the price, so it's not a problem unique to monoprice's chargers. There are other threads that go into this in detail, as some of the Palm chargers aren't even sufficient. I bought 3 of the monoprice chargers, and being so ridiculously cheap it doesn't bother me that they're not as good as Palm's, but I'm ordering the Palm charger for use in my primary vehicle so Nav and Pandora don't drain my battery while I drive.
    I use the Pre car charger with a touchstone upside down. It is held in place with a vent mounted universal grip from Best Buy $19. Works great. Only falls off when I plug in Aux cable without holding onto Pre. Strong enough to open and close slider without falling off.
    I attached the touchstone on a slanted portion of the dashboard, plugged it in with the palm car charger (not the sprint one), and charges fine, works great, and is at a perfect eye level to use the navigation.

I was afraid it would fall off, but after testing breaking and accelerating abruptly, it still holds fine.
    What Palm should do is put an AMPS threaded hole pattern on the back of the touchstone so it can easily be attached to dash mounts from the various companies (ProClip, Bracketron, Panavise, Kunda and Pro-Fit). Would help create a very OEM looking install instead of just sticking it on the dash somewhere. And you wouldn't have to use velcro, double sided tape and what not to secure it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12