Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are some folks that just can't wait to attach something to their PDA or smartphone whether it be a sled, case, clip, battery attatchment or whatever to customize their new toy. It's just like car or truck forums where everyone's got to either raise, lower, or combo-raise-lower their vehicle in some way. After years of accumulating that kind of not-compatible-with-anything-else junk, I'm glad . Anyone want a hardly-used free foldout keyboard for a m505 Palm? Got any modem sleds or Handspring modules lying around?

It seems like the Pre, though, further continues the trend of anti-accessory-ness0. There aren't any slots or connectors of any kind other than the headphone and power jack right? It's going to look horrible with an extended battery bulge. It doesn't even lend itself to a full-time case with the thickness, oval shape, and slide out keyboard. The iPhone is pretty damn slippery without a case. However, I don't know if most Pre users will be using a case.

So how are you guys going to customize your Pre's?
    One of the main accessories that I will get is an invisibleSHIELD by Zagg; they are awesome, and as far as I can tell indestructible. I have one for my Moto Q; you can hardly tell that it has anything on it!
    I'm going to build an optical zoom attachment for the camera lens.
    My Pre will likely go au-natural, and just get snugged into my pocket. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with 2 touchstones though, one for home one for work. Slider phones have a hard time with any kind of cases, so I'll be surprised to see any glowing reviews here of rubber or plastic cases for the Pre. What I would like to see is a Micro USB to mini USB cable so I can try plugging in an external hard drive right into the Pre, that would be slick. Or maybe micro USB to normal USB adaptor so we can plug in who knows what kind of cool adapters or memory sticks or anything. Then all the people worried about not having removable memory could get their way with emergency backups on the phone.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Will probably get a case, depends if the touchstone back for the pre feels as good as the 755P. If it feels like that, no case. I do plan on getting me some accesories, a touchstone of course, jawbone headset, some Bluetooth speakers. That's about it for now.
    i'm a minimalist. less is more.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden, Fight Club
    I'm confused by the post about wanting a USB adapter to allow connection of an external hard drive. Is the Pre intended to be a host device through that connection? I thought it was just to allow the Pre to be a peripheral device connected to a computer. Did I get that wrong?
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    I'm confused by the post about wanting a USB adapter to allow connection of an external hard drive. Is the Pre intended to be a host device through that connection? I thought it was just to allow the Pre to be a peripheral device connected to a computer. Did I get that wrong?
    You got it right.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    The Pre isnt going to support USB host, so this is not going to work. You could get an external hard drive that supports access by BT or WIFI. But they arnt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    My Pre will likely go au-natural, and just get snugged into my pocket. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with 2 touchstones though, one for home one for work. Slider phones have a hard time with any kind of cases, so I'll be surprised to see any glowing reviews here of rubber or plastic cases for the Pre. What I would like to see is a Micro USB to mini USB cable so I can try plugging in an external hard drive right into the Pre, that would be slick. Or maybe micro USB to normal USB adaptor so we can plug in who knows what kind of cool adapters or memory sticks or anything. Then all the people worried about not having removable memory could get their way with emergency backups on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman109 View Post
    One of the main accessories that I will get is an invisibleSHIELD by Zagg; they are awesome, and as far as I can tell indestructible. I have one for my Moto Q; you can hardly tell that it has anything on it!
    Those shields are amazing, but I'm not sure how well it would work with the Pre. You have to use 'sliding gestures' on the screen and I'm not sure how responsive the screen would be with the invisibleSHIELD on it....
    This is my concern as well. I am interested in the InvisibleSHIELD but with the sliding I'm not so sure.
    I hate accessories. Never use them ever for phones, especially cases that I feel take away from the art of the phone. To me, less accessories means more Palm put into the phone so you won't need them.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    I will be getting a side case for it at the least. If the anti-scratch material the Pre already has isn't enough I'll probably get an invisibleSHIELD.
    I kind of think you will have to choose between using a touchstone or using a third party case.

I can't imagine any third party case being touchstone compatible. but who knows.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I'll def. be getting a Touchstone, and maybe a case. Sometimes it's just easier to put in your front jeans pocket.

But no matter how high end of a device the Pre is going to be, I refuse to get a Bluetooth headset.
    I don't see what the big deal with those invisible shields is. If anything those are more necessary on a resistive touch screen since those are more likely to get poked with rather sharp fingernails or a stylus. If you are using the capacitive screen the way it is intended, then I would rate the risk of scratching your screen due to use as very low, since you are just using your fingers to interact with it. I am on my second Sprint Touch (the first one developed an oil slick under the screen) and after heavy usage, there are no scratches in it, and I never use the stylus, mostly just pressing with fingers, occasionally using a finger nail for the hard to get to places.

I don't like cases either. One of my customers had a iPhone with some unruly leather case. I had to set up his email on it, and the edges of the case just got in the way of my interacting with the screen. Get a pouch, put the phone in it when you don't use it, don't use it while drunk, don't drop it, and the phone will be fine.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I don't see what the big deal with those invisible shields is. If anything those are more necessary on a resistive touch screen since those are more likely to get poked with rather sharp fingernails or a stylus. If you are using the capacitive screen the way it is intended, then I would rate the risk of scratching your screen due to use as very low, since you are just using your fingers to interact with it. I am on my second Sprint Touch (the first one developed an oil slick under the screen) and after heavy usage, there are no scratches in it, and I never use the stylus, mostly just pressing with fingers, occasionally using a finger nail for the hard to get to places..
    Your are right about the screen not needing the Invisible shield if you use it correctly, but some might need protection for their phone in case of drops or having it hit things. Some people have other things in their pocket when they put their phone in it, like their keys. Plus, the invisible shield protects the whole phone, not just the screen. If it can be used with Touchstone I will probably get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Your are right about the screen not needing the Invisible shield if you use it correctly, but some might need protection for their phone in case of drops or having it hit things. Some people have other things in their pocket when they put their phone in it, like their keys. Plus, the invisible shield protects the whole phone, not just the screen. If it can be used with Touchstone I will probably get one.
    Oh...it's one of those stick it all over the phone deals! Yeah..no way I would use that, I'd rather have some every day battle scars on the phone instead of all that sticky stuff that, if not applied correctly, traps air bubbles and may start peeling.

My Pre is going to wear it's birthday suit for as long as I have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Same here, I got one on all of my devices. They are awsome.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    Those shields are amazing, but I'm not sure how well it would work with the Pre. You have to use 'sliding gestures' on the screen and I'm not sure how responsive the screen would be with the invisibleSHIELD on it....
    I am 100% sure that the capacitive touch surface will not he hindered AT ALL by the invisibleshield (actually manufactured by 3M). I've put this stuff on pretty much every gadget I have from the iPod touch to the glass track pad on the new Macbook Pro. No affect at all on responsiveness.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast