Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just looking at Palm.com and I noticed that the following statement:

Requires Palm Pre back cover for Palm Touchstone™ charging dock, sold separately

What is up with that? you'd think it would come with the dock...
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    The word is it will not. Say someone buys multiple Touchstones (work, home, cottage, yacht, etc), why pay for multiple backs? To me, the backs should be bundled. They will be a fraction of the package price and who would mind a spare or two? They will most likely get scratched on occasion.
    they should sell a bundeled version
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    The word is it will not. Say someone buys multiple Touchstones (work, home, cottage, yacht, etc), why pay for multiple backs? To me, the backs should be bundled. They will be a fraction of the package price and who would mind a spare or two? They will most likely get scratched on occasion.
    Sure people won't mind having extra backs, but most people won't see a need. Might as well charge the people who do.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    If they both go for a decent price it won't be that bad.
    30 for the touchstone and 10-20 for the back cover sounds reasonable.

At first I was like that its stupid having to buy them separate but then I thought about it a bit more and it makes sense if somebody was to buy one for the house and another for the office. It becomes more expensive if you just package it together because you'll be buying unnecessary covers for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    they should sell a bundeled version
    I agree. A bundled version for those who need it would be good.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I still think they should come out with a solar back panel so you won't even need an extra accessory to charge the phone:

DailyTech - Samsung Claims New Phone Can Make Solar-Powered Calls
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    If they both go for a decent price it won't be that bad.
    30 for the touchstone and 10-20 for the back cover sounds reasonable.

At first I was like that its stupid having to buy them separate but then I thought about it a bit more and it makes sense if somebody was to buy one for the house and another for the office. It becomes more expensive if you just package it together because you'll be buying unnecessary covers for no reason.
    10-20 for a back cover!? Wow, that would have to be some serious back cover made of gold or something. I'd expect them to be like 5 bucks max.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    10-20 for a back cover!? Wow, that would have to be some serious back cover made of gold or something. I'd expect them to be like 5 bucks max.
    The back cover for use with the Touchstone includes the charging circuitry. It's not just a piece of plastic.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Think about what tends to happen with many phones... they later offer different colors for different carriers. They do not tend to offer red, black, pink, white, & green power supplies... just one. A back needed for the touchstone, though, probably would need to be a matching color to the phone. Buying the touchstone itself, then a (CHEEP) Pre back in a color that matches the phone makes sense.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    But it looks like the initial color is black anyway, so why not offer a bundle for those who need it now(rather when the Pre is released)? It's annoying having to buy seperate parts.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have to agree with the Diva here. It's so cheap. It would be like them not including a charger with the Pre, because "you might already have a micro usb charger from a different device." Lame cash grab.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    You know what... I'm actually changing my mind. Palm should bundle them together. Let's say they want to price them at $30 and $5. They should only have the bundle and charge everyone $35 for it. Even the people that don't need or want an extra back if they want multiple touchstones.

They'll get more money that way, while at the same time people won't complain about not getting the back "for free".

If you lose your back or break it somehow, you have to buy a full bundle, just rationalizing that you have place to put another touchstone somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    You know what... I'm actually changing my mind. Palm should bundle them together. Let's say they want to price them at $30 and $5. They should only have the bundle and charge everyone $35 for it. Even the people that don't need or want an extra back if they want multiple touchstones.

They'll get more money that way, while at the same time people won't complain about not getting the back "for free".

If you lose your back or break it somehow, you have to buy a full bundle, just rationalizing that you have place to put another touchstone somewhere.
    Yes, obviously bundling it completely eliminates the possibility of selling it separately.

Your right, just like if I lost my stylus for my Centro or its Power cord that came bundled I'd have to buy a whole new phone!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm actually serious and not being sarcastic. If it makes people feel better like they're getting a deal having it bundled, then just add up the cost and sell it that way.

If a seperate back still needs to be sold, then sell it for $8. And people will think they're getting a deal. More money for them and good feelings from the customers. It's win win.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Someone might want several touchstones, but only needs one back cover.

Someone might want several back covers (if everyone in the family has Pre), but only needs one touchstone.

So both of these items (touchstone, back cover) should be sold separately.

Why would it be a big issue if you can not buy a bundle, I have no clue. Buy both if you need both, it is not that difficult.
    Last edited by ttcoupe; 02/15/2009 at 02:48 AM.
    But you need both to work together. So at least offer the OPTION to bundle them together.

Palm can still sell them seperately. I think I remember them selling their cradle and the cables seperately, but they also had a bundle. And I have a feeling the back cover won't be $5 or even $8. Likely $15 or $20. And how much is the Touchstone going to be? Likely more than $20, maybe even $30 or more.

I'd like to see it for cheaper, but I won't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But you need both to work together. So at least offer the OPTION to bundle them together.

Palm can still sell them seperately. I think I remember them selling their cradle and the cables seperately, but they also had a bundle. And I have a feeling the back cover won't be $5 or even $8. Likely $15 or $20. And how much is the Touchstone going to be? Likely more than $20, maybe even $30 or more.

I'd like to see it for cheaper, but I won't count on it.
    How bout 89.95 bundled? I do not think that "Touchstone" will inexpensive. I think "Wild Charge" is not inexpensive!!
    my guess is -

$69.99 - Touchstone
    $29.99 - Magnetic Back
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    How bout 89.95 bundled? I do not think that "Touchstone" will inexpensive. I think "Wild Charge" is not inexpensive!!
    I highly doubt it'll be $90 for the Touchstone, otherwise why bother making it at all, because you're not going to sell many at that price. I'm thinking more around $50-60 MSRP for the bundle, because that's what Palm branded cradles have historically sold for, and that's what the Touchstone is really replacing. At $50-60, I'll buy one for home. If its somehow under $40, I'll buy two, one for home and the office. But there's no way I'd pay $90 for one, and I suspect I'm not the only one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast