Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They should offer a bundle vesion, and both seperatly, so that I can buy one bundle, and an extra touchstone for the office. If I lose or break the back, I would also like to be able to buy a back without spnding a lot on a third charger that I don't need. There are still many options. and most 3rd party realtors will probably bundle the two for a little saving anyway.
    The other problem is consumer confusion if they don't come bundled. If they end up selling touchstones on retail shelfs somewhere, how many people who aren't as in touch as we are, will end up picking up the touchstone and be pissed the back wasn't included when they get home?

It's not like the back costs palm a lot to manufacturer. This isn't some new age magic technology. I've had an electric toothbrush with this same charging method for years and years. I didn't have to buy anything separate or extra. It's the same inductive charging in a different package.
    I guess I was lowballing, looking at the other estimates, LOL! But I agree the Touchstone is likely not going to be cheap unless Palm gives everyone a nice surprise. And then having to pay more for the back? If the backs really are going to be around $30 and the Touchstone $40 to $60, that's nearly another $100 to factor into the price. A bundle is worth it then.

And I agree with Captweez, they go together. As I said earlier it's a pain(and also nickel and diming IMO) to buy seperates unless you lose something.

P.S. Palm is taking another WRONG cue from Apple. Apple sells expensive AC chargers without the necessary cable. Docks also. 3rd party vendors who realize this is nickle and diming, bundle them TOGETHER.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I highly doubt it'll be $90 for the Touchstone, otherwise why bother making it at all, because you're not going to sell many at that price. I'm thinking more around $50-60 MSRP for the bundle, because that's what Palm branded cradles have historically sold for, and that's what the Touchstone is really replacing. At $50-60, I'll buy one for home. If its somehow under $40, I'll buy two, one for home and the office. But there's no way I'd pay $90 for one, and I suspect I'm not the only one.
    Just went to https://www.wildcharge.com

here is cost for the BB curve base and skin

WildCharger™ Bundle: Charge Pad & Skin for BlackBerry Curve

and the price is the same for the razor

not cheap
    I think you all are being very optimistic about the price of the Touchstone.

I think Palm considers it a 'premium accessory' and will price it as such. $50-$75 at least. I am sure we will see knockoffs shortly and that it will be available in every kind of bundle imaginable, or separately.
    $75 is overpriced IMO. If Palm ends up wanting that much, plus MORE for the back, it's not worth it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Just went to https://www.wildcharge.com

here is cost for the BB curve base and skin

WildCharger™ Bundle: Charge Pad & Skin for BlackBerry Curve

and the price is the same for the razor

not cheap
    Yeah, but at the same time, the WildCharger is a larger pad, which can charge multiple devices at the same time, so it needs to be more powerful, and they want to make versions for many different devices that charge on the same pad. I'd bet the electronics necessary for that probably cost more than a smaller puck which is only designed to charge one thing.

(For example, since at any time you can put either a RAZR or a Blackberry on there, there has to be something in the WildCharger back to let the charger know how much juice it needs, and there needs to be something in the pad to actually sense what its being told).

As I said, I would be pretty surprised if the bundle of the two is more than than the $50-60 for Palm cradles in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    (For example, since at any time you can put either a RAZR or a Blackberry on there, there has to be something in the WildCharger back to let the charger know how much juice it needs, and there needs to be something in the pad to actually sense what its being told).
    I would expect that the method of regulating the charge/current/voltage would be in the component attached to the phone. The WildCharger would just be just producing a fluctuating magnetic field.
    I was looking on the palm website today, trying to find some more news from the MWC. When I was looking at the info on touchstone I read the footnote about it requiring the magnetic back and I started thinking ... They already have info about the touchstone itself, they have info about a travel/car charger, and they even have info about a slip case for the phone.

My thinking is we all already know about the magnetic back ... why not put that on there as well? They could put it up and make it look like they have one more accessory ready to go before the phone is released. Make it seam like they are really on the ball.

Any way I didn't really know what to make of them not having anything on the website on the back (other than the fact that it is separate but required). Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I think you all are being very optimistic about the price of the Touchstone.

I think Palm considers it a 'premium accessory' and will price it as such. $50-$75 at least. I am sure we will see knockoffs shortly and that it will be available in every kind of bundle imaginable, or separately.
    No way it's gonna be 50-75. Yes, it may be a special accessory, but people just won't buy it for that price. Maybe they would've when the economy was really good, but definitely not now. I'd say if the touchstone is more than $30, they'll be pricing it waaay out of most people's reach. For 50-75, it's very likely that people will be content with their usb chargers.
    Okay, my original Palm Pilot Pro came with the cradle, and I think my Palm V did too. I'm pretty sure I had to buy the cradle for my M515. And I know that I did with the Treo 600 and 700P. I can't recall paying more than $30 for the Palm brand cradles for my phones. I have always been irritated at having to buy them in the first place. I can tell you this, no matter how neat the touchstone may seem, for more than $35-40 (including the battery cover) I'll be using the usb charger.
    Dedicated Palm User
    Palm Pre
    Palm Treo 700P - retired
    Palm Treo 600 - retired
    Palm M515 - retired
    Palm V - retired
    Palm Pilot Professional - retired
    Don't forget you will also need to by a sync / charge cable and a AC adapter for each touch stone. That will also be separate.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Then again...

Apple USB Power Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

It's a little cube that you plug the usb cable into to charge an iphone.

It's 30 BUCKS!!!

Apple iPhone 3G Dock - Apple Store (U.S.)

This is a cheap looking "dock" for the iphone. It's <gasp> 30 BUCKS!!

Palm has this thing called a Touchstone that offer WIRELESS charging, magnetically slides into place, can lift off to automatically answer a call, can be placed in landscape view.

You all have got to be kidding with the "it better not cost more than 30 bucks"
    But if Palm goes overboard on the price, I'm going to bet people will wait for aftermarket. $50 combined is quite enough for a charger and back. All these companies with these proprietary products that they charge us a lot for are getting on my nerves. I saw a report on TV that said there's a possibility that in a few years, certain major manufacturers have agreed to the same STANDARD(I think USB) charger for many phones, which is good if true.

P.S. Some more info about this. Even though it appeared on an American channel, this appears to be European move. http://i.gizmodo.com/5154851/europea...phone-chargers
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/18/2009 at 12:07 AM.

I'm already working on seeing if ProClip can make a holder with the inductive charging pad built in. Would be pretty sweet. Trying to get Palm to give up a non functional unit ahead of time to design it is most likely going to be a hurdle. If Palm goes overboard on a high price, they're just nuts. This tech is just emerging for portable devices (outside the toothbrush & shaver side of things). The use of it is generally a waste if it doesn't become universally adopted by many devices. Otherwise you'll just see overpriced niche products from the OEM and cheap 3rd party versions.

Actually, you could skip the Touchstone altogether and just buy a wildcat pad or use an induction charger from your electric razor. If I'm not mistaken, all the battery cover does is provide the metal for the magnets in the touchstone to keep the phone in place. If the touchstone had a ledge, you wouldn't even need magnets in the first place. The induction capability is probably already built into the phone. When I read up on this a few years back, that's how it was talked about. Current products could be converted as shown above, but new products would have it built in.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I've been thinking about this since my last post on this topic. And there is no way I'd pay over $30 for the touchstone and back. I paid $30 for my SYNC cradle fro my 700P. All the touchstone does is charge the phone. From what I've read, the phone natively charges from a USB cable. Why would I want to buy something that only does half of what the basic charger does?
    Dedicated Palm User
    Palm Pre
    Palm Treo 700P - retired
    Palm Treo 600 - retired
    Palm M515 - retired
    Palm V - retired
    Palm Pilot Professional - retired
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12