Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been posted, but I couldn't find it in a search. According to SmartDevice Central the Touchstone charger is sold seperately. So there is another way to charge it I assume?
    Yes. Via a regular charger that will come with the phone.
    The Touchstone requires a special magnetic backing on the phone (which I read somewhere that this backing is also sold separately) in order to function properly.
    in the 25min video they explain this. it is sold separately. it uses mini usb to charge the phone/connect to the computer as a mass storage device
    Either way I'm totally going to get it!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The Pre comes with a microUSB sync/transfer (note that I didn't say "Hotsync" or even "Sync") cord that can presumably trickle charge the Pre. It also comes with a small-ish microUSB AC charger, just like the Treo Pro. Finally, with the purchase of the Touchstone, it can charge while mounted to the "puck". It's still undetermined if the special battery back required for use on the Touchstone comes with the accessory or is sold separately...though the Palm reps were saying at CES that the cover WAS included with the Touchstone.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    The real trick is going to be how much the Touchstone costs. I'm guessing it'll retail somewhere in the $50-$60 range, but am hopefully it'll be less.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
    I want to know if you can use the puck thingy with a cigarette lighter so it would dual as a car charger. I remember hearing in one of the videos where the Palm Rep said that you can stick that thing on your dashboard...that would be awesome! Would love to get more details on that.
    Just to be clear - out of the box (without Touchtone) will we be able to charge the Pre with the included cable by plugging it into the wall or will we have to plug it into a laptop/PC?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    It's still undetermined if the special battery back required for use on the Touchstone comes with the accessory or is sold separately...though the Palm reps were saying at CES that the cover WAS included with the Touchstone.
    Well, on the official Palm website, there is a note that implies the back cover is sold separately.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/accessories/dock.html

Requires Palm Pre back cover for Touchstone charging dock, sold separately. Within wireless coverage area only. Messaging, email, and web require data services at additional cost.
    from what I remember watching the video. the back was sold separetly and the puck was sold separately. I have fuzzy recollection of $80 being mentioned as a price.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Just to be clear - out of the box (without Touchtone) will we be able to charge the Pre with the included cable by plugging it into the wall or will we have to plug it into a laptop/PC?

TIA
    Yes, you will be able to charge via the microUSB cable that is included. I think the car adapter will be separate as will the Touchstone. I am led to believe that the touchstone will come with a back. Maybe you can buy extra backs or extra touchstones, but I would be surprised if one kit didnt have both.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    You can charge the Pre with the AC adapter included in the box or trickle charge it from a PC with the microUSB cable. The Touchstone will be a $50-60 accessory, IMO. Probably on the higher side if it does include the battery door.

No one knows the status of the Touchstone battery cover for sure. As I said before, Palm's reps said the cover was included in the box with the Touchstone at CES but Palm's site has information to the contrary.

The car charger will be the same model as seen on the Treo Pro, probably just rebranded/repackaged to reflect Pre compatibility.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Since Palm stopped packaging cradles they have (IMO) seriously over-charged for them as a stand alone product. What did they want for a TX cradle? $35 or $40? I can picture a pretty serious shafting on the "cool new" charger. I'm picturing the Touchstone at $50 to $70 or maybe more, but if I had to put money on it I'd expect about $50 to a little over. If Palm wanted to sell 'em, then $30ish would be a better idea.
    Yeah, I expect Palm to charge through the nose for the 'stone, just because of the cool factor. I like using a cradle, so I can easily see when my Treo lights up with an incoming email, text, call, or an alarm. But I won't pay $70 for 'cool.' 3rd party vendors will come out with cradles soon enough. (Even if they don't have "wireless charging.")
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for a 3rd party cradle. It would seem that there is nothing on the bottom of the Pre to plug into a cradle. If someone did make a cradle, it would just be a stand (no charging, no connectivity). The micro-usb plug is on the side, I believe.

Personally, I'll have a hard time bringing myself to pay more than $50 for a Touchstone, but I agree that it's very cool. I like how the Pre interacts with it. I think $30 is a fair price, but I expect it will be one of the primary profit producers for Palm, so it will be expensive if it's popular.

I'm assuming the battery door comes with it. Neither item is worth anything separate. I think the caveat on the website is poorly worded and ambiguous.
    Have you ever seen a BlackBerry cradle? It holds the phone, and the USB cable plugs into the phone separately. Not elegant, but it works. And hopefully it's cheap. (This is for the older BB phones, not sure about some of the newer ones, like the Curve, Bold or Storm.)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Yes, you will be able to charge via the microUSB cable that is included. I think the car adapter will be separate as will the Touchstone. I am led to believe that the touchstone will come with a back. Maybe you can buy extra backs or extra touchstones, but I would be surprised if one kit didnt have both.
    Tks for the info BMIC50
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    Since Palm stopped packaging cradles they have (IMO) seriously over-charged for them as a stand alone product. What did they want for a TX cradle? $35 or $40? I can picture a pretty serious shafting on the "cool new" charger. I'm picturing the Touchstone at $50 to $70 or maybe more, but if I had to put money on it I'd expect about $50 to a little over. If Palm wanted to sell 'em, then $30ish would be a better idea.
    agrred !

I hate paying another 40 bucks for a cradle. and this one should be more (considering it's funcationality). When the cradle was usable for the 600, 650, 700, you didn't mind. But buying a new cradle with every phone purchase gets expensive.

and yes .. i realize you don;t have to get it. However, levaing the phone lying on the desk measn it gets scratched up, banged around, and can have water / food / inck spilled on it. So my preferance is to have a cradle.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I probably won't get one right away. But if it's obvious the Pre is doing well, and really will bring Palm back, then I certainly wouldn't mind paying $50 for one. Under the assumption that Palm doing well means the next upgrade I get will be from them, and will also be able to use the charger. (Hopefully they'll sell the necessary battery covers sepeartely or that would just be annoying during that upgrade.)
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm assuming the battery door comes with it. Neither item is worth anything separate. I think the caveat on the website is poorly worded and ambiguous.
    That's true if you only want one Touchstone, but I could see myself potentially buying 2 or 3, one for my desk at work, one for my desk at home, and one for my bedside where I charge my phone at night, and I wouldn't want to buy three covers when I only need one.

Also, selling the cover separately could be handy if you ever accidentally damage the first one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast