1.    #1  
    OK, here is something we have not speculated about yet, what kind of case do you think they can come up with for the Pre? Anybody ever seen a case for a banana slider before?
    These hardcases will work on it probably http://www.thepocketsolution.com/PSI...Hard+Case.html
    hopefully they'll make a waterproof/dustproof,milspec otterbox for it.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    My problem with cases... is that I always end up not using them after a while. The phones just feel so much nicer without the added bulk. The trade off, is of course, that my phones look like they've been in a battle by the time I finally upgrade.

And for the Pre specifically, Palm has finally moved on to a flush screen. The screen returns the recessed look to the phone. Maybe it's time I try some slip cases, rather than the permanent, body hugging ones.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    the other issue is you'll need a slip case really if you go for the charging casing on the touchstone otherwise, a permanently attached case will interfere with the charging non?

my understanding is that the casing would need to be in contact with the touchstone to charge.
    i don't use a case for my 755p, and I don't suspect that I'll use one for the Pre. I used to be super paranoid about my phones, but I now realize that I can usually manage to keep them pretty safe without the case. By the time I upgrade they may have a few scratches, but they're nothing that too significant. As for the screen protector, that's a whole different story. I'm very careful about getting a screen protector before I even take the phone out of the box. Generally the screen is the most likely part to get scratched for me, so thats really important. I'm thinking if I do end up getting some full phone protection, it'll most likely be something like invisibleSheild. With that it's see through, scratch resistant, and barely adds any weight or size to the phone. I've never used it, but I've seen sample devices at the mall and they looked really good! The negative to this solution is that if you drop the phone, well... lets just hope you have insurance. For me, the risk is worth it.
    I am flying naked when it comes to any cases. I have a Sprint Touch right now which obviously has a flush touch screen. Putting any kind of phone condom on it would create an edge around the touch screen....something that Sprint Mogul (PPC6800) had to deal with all the time. I don't like having an edge around the screen.

I don't mess with a screen protector either. Those plastic screens that are used on resistive touch screen are more prone to scratching than the glass screens on capacitive touch screens, so I am not really all that worried about scratching it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I don't mess with a screen protector either. Those plastic screens that are used on resistive touch screen are more prone to scratching than the glass screens on capacitive touch screens, so I am not really all that worried about scratching it.
    Good point, but sometimes when the phone sits in your pocket and you throw keys into the same pocket, it has a potential to jack it up. I feel like a screen protector should be the bare minimum.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    True, but it's cheap and easy to replace a plastic protector, not so much if you scratch the glass...
    Well my Touch came with a pouch that's clipped to my belt. I never put the phone into my pocket, I always wear it on my belt... Batman style!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i've never liked the look or feel of cases. i've tried a few silicone skin & leather slip cases, but always ended up preferring my palms naked. the only one i liked was a shiny red sticker-type skin on my 650 that didn't add any bulk. that one helped prevent scratches & prevented my coworkers (who all had 650s at the time) from accidentally walking off with mine.

since the front of the pre is almost all screen, seems like the only thing you could use on the front is an invisibleshield-type protector. do they make those in a material that can heat-shrink to the curvature of the pre? i'd want it to conform & cover the entire surface.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    I have always liked a flip-cover style case like those from EB or Sena. Not sure if that will be available for the Pre. A few times I have dropped my Treo on the floor or parking lot. Having the case provided some protection.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    OK, here is something we have not speculated about yet, what kind of case do you think they can come up with for the Pre? Anybody ever seen a case for a banana slider before?
    There are 3 accessories listed on the Palm web site for the Pre:

Touchstone

Vehicle charger

Slip case

None are available yet. This slip case has no clasp. I prefer a magnetic clasp. I don't want this beauty falling out.

BTW the new Palm web design is very elegant.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    hopefully they'll make a waterproof/dustproof,milspec otterbox for it.
    Don't know how it will work with a slider?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel431 View Post
    Don't know how it will work with a slider?
    seems like it would need to be flexible like a condom
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    I doubt that's the case. induction charging has been around for a long time (think sonic toothbrushes and electric shavers) and it's always been a proximity thing, not direct contact. When it gets close enough it starts to charge. I highly doubt Palm created new tech for Touchstone. I believe the only reason you need magnets is because the thing is angled and you'd be relying on friction to hold the phone in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by maltese_falcon View Post
    the other issue is you'll need a slip case really if you go for the charging casing on the touchstone otherwise, a permanently attached case will interfere with the charging non?

my understanding is that the casing would need to be in contact with the touchstone to charge.
    And I'm sure you'll see two piece fitted cases like there are for many of the slider phones. Since many phones are designed without fitted cases and car holders in mind, I'd like to see a phone with a user replaceable casing. So when it gets scratched up you could easily make it like new again. Third parties could make colors and textured casings. I remember those faceplates from my old Nokia 8230 (think that's the right model #). It was a very small candy bar phone and 3rd party faceplates were all over the place for it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Would a screen protector work with the capacitive touch screen? I'm thinking not, but I don't truly understand how the capacitive screens work. Anybody have iPhone experience with screen rotectors?
    there are screen protectors for the iphone and other capacative touch screens.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I hate cases. Phones should be made well enough that they dont need one. If Palm makes the Pre as well as they made the 800w a case wont be necessary. This thing is bullet proof.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Slip case
    I'm hoping someone puts together a good vertical pouch case (no clip). If you keep a phone in a pocket, you want to just slide the phone out quickly, not take out the case so you can pull out the phone.