Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To use the Touchstone requires the phone have a magnetic battery door. A lot of magnetic keys (think hotel card-keys) already get zapped just from getting too close to a regular mobile phone, I imagine this will not improve the situation. Depending on the strength of the magnet, it could also cause issues with credit card mag strips. Particularly for folks who stick their wallet in the same bag or pocket as their wallets.

On the other and, make the magnet too weak and maybe some cases or skins prove to be too thick for it to work well.

It'll be interesting to see how it's implemented.
    It's not clear right now whether the magnets are in the base or in the phone back - the "magnetic" phone back probably just has a steel plate in it while the actual magnets are in the base.
    The (electro)magnet for charging is located in the touchstone. the battery door merely provides the necessary contacts with the battery to allow for the bases magnet to charge it and of course is probably metallic so it stays on the electromagnet.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    So the moral is: don't let your wallet come close to the touchstone.
    Changing the topic a little bit, but this whole "wireless charging" is BS. The touchstone has exactly the same number of wires the cradle for my 755p has: one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
    To use the Touchstone requires the phone have a magnetic battery door. A lot of magnetic keys (think hotel card-keys) already get zapped just from getting too close to a regular mobile phone, I imagine this will not improve the situation. Depending on the strength of the magnet, it could also cause issues with credit card mag strips. Particularly for folks who stick their wallet in the same bag or pocket as their wallets.

On the other and, make the magnet too weak and maybe some cases or skins prove to be too thick for it to work well.

It'll be interesting to see how it's implemented.
    I stay in TONS of hotels every year and have never had a magnetic room key zapped by my mobile phone. Magnets will not erase the keys or your credit cards either. You should research the differences between magnets and electromagnets.

Plenty of devices have been made with magnetic induction chargers and there is no "magnet" inside of them in the common sense of the word. No metal is needed in the base or the phone because plastic provides to resistance to the magnetic field.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I stay in TONS of hotels every year and have never had a magnetic room key zapped by my mobile phone. Magnets will not erase the keys or your credit cards either. You should research the differences between magnets and electromagnets.

Plenty of devices have been made with magnetic induction chargers and there is no "magnet" inside of them in the common sense of the word. No metal is needed in the base or the phone because plastic provides to resistance to the magnetic field.
    Yes but this base magnetically aligns the phone in the proper landscape or portrait position, so in addition to the magnetic induction charger, there are other magnets and a plate in the case for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Changing the topic a little bit, but this whole "wireless charging" is BS. The touchstone has exactly the same number of wires the cradle for my 755p has: one.
    Good point, and I've been thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong, but I think the touchstone is really awesome, but you still have one cable coming from a wall outlet unless they have a battery in the touchstone which would make no sense. The only difference is that instead of placing my phone into a connector on a cradle, you just throw it on the touchstone. I think the main point of it is to allow a portrait or landscape view as it sits on the cradle.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Good point, and I've been thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong, but I think the touchstone is really awesome, but you still have one cable coming from a wall outlet unless they have a battery in the touchstone which would make no sense. The only difference is that instead of placing my phone into a connector on a cradle, you just throw it on the touchstone. I think the main point of it is to allow a portrait or landscape view as it sits on the cradle.
    I think the main point is it is cool and nobody else really has it!
    Yeah, but it's still pretty cool.
    At least, your mobile phone no longer requires a wire to charge. Your phone is a mobile device, it moves with you. The Touchstone does not move around, it stays at one place (my desk - I hope) for me to place the phone for charge.

I must say that if the Touchstone really works, I will be the first one on line to buy as I have way too many wires on my desk...
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    At least, your mobile phone no longer requires a wire to charge. Your phone is a mobile device, it moves with you. The Touchstone does not move around, it stays at one place (my desk - I hope) for me to place the phone for charge.

I must say that if the Touchstone really works, I will be the first one on line to buy as I have way too many wires on my desk...
    Are you saying that somehow this would have a different amount of wires than a standard palm docking station? To clarify, and the point that meyerweb was making is that you do not decrease the number of wires by using a touchstone. You still have one wire coming from your wall outlet to your palm docking station or in this case touchstone and the phone still docks to either the palm docking station or touchstone. The Treos in the past docked by placing them in the holder, and the touchstone docks through magnets. Like I said, the touchstone is a cool technology and I will likely buy it, but it really isn't "wireless" by any means.
    I talk on my 800w a lot sitting at my desk with it plugged in the charger and if I am on an important call and the battery is getting low, I just plug it in and keep talking. Sounds like that will not be possible with the touchstone, if I understand how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I talk on my 800w a lot sitting at my desk with it plugged in the charger and if I am on an important call and the battery is getting low, I just plug it in and keep talking. Sounds like that will not be possible with the touchstone, if I understand how it works.
    I would imagine based on what I've heard that if you put the phone on the Touchstone during a call, it'd probably switch automatically to speakerphone mode.

Anyway, the Touchstone is only an option. If you don't like it, then you can use the microUSB to charge.

Um there is an electromagnet in the touchstone (only 1 way for a magnetic induction to take place oscilating magnetic fields either by an ac powered electromagnet, or a moving earth magnet or dc powered electromagnet) ... It's common knowledge that a strong enough magnetic field will erase magnetic information like those kept on the magnetic strips of keycards. btw an electromagnet is a magnet.

Metal is most likely used in the phone's special backplate, the voltage must be induced on a conductor (most are metallic) in order to charge the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Um there is an electromagnet in the touchstone (only 1 way for a magnetic induction to take place oscilating magnetic fields either by an ac powered electromagnet, or a moving earth magnet or dc powered electromagnet) ... It's common knowledge that a strong enough magnetic field will erase magnetic information like those kept on the magnetic strips of keycards. btw an electromagnet is a magnet.

Metal is most likely used in the phone's special backplate, the voltage must be induced on a conductor (most are metallic) in order to charge the battery.
    Um, please prove that this electromagnet will erase your credit cards. Also back up the OP's claims of a mobile phone generating a strong enough EM field to erase credit cards. LOL
    Do you sandwich your room cardkey with your cell phone? At Disneyworld this summer my wife fried two cardkeys with her Moto Razr, she was putting the key in a thin pocket on the side of her purse up against her cell phone. Once the front desk told her about cardkeys and cell phones she moved it to a separate pocket in her purse.

Cellular radios produce electromagnetic fields. Don't beleive me? Test your powered on cell phone with an EMF meter. The field is very weak and does not radiate far but if you place the cardkey aginst your phone it will fry it. Same for any card with a magnetic strip.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Um, please prove that this electromagnet will erase your credit cards. Also back up the OP's claims of a mobile phone generating a strong enough EM field to erase credit cards. LOL
    I never made either claim. You claimed magnets will not erase the info on your credit cards. I simply pointed out that they can (since an electromagnet is a magnet). The field must be strong enough for instance the magnetic fields used to disable store security tabs which has been known to erase this info.
    This seems like a pretty nit-picky, pointless thread considering the phone isn't out yet. Kinda early to be calling out issues huh?
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    I'm coming from a BB users perspective on this but the Touchstone seems to be designed to only view the Pre when you are sitting at your desk and the Touchstone is directly in front of you. It appears to be angled low.

With my BB Flip in the OEM charging pod I purchased I can see the time from across the room as the phone sits practically straight up. "Bedside Mode" turns off the radio and leaves a (big) clock on and the alarm functioning. It's my alarm clock and table clock.

I know Palm is selling the Touchstone as a wireless charger, phone booth, drive in movie, etc., but I would be very content just to be able to see what time it is from my couch.
    Last edited by galavanter; 01/24/2009 at 09:39 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast