Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. cyndy's Avatar
    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I'm coming from a BB users perspective on this but the Touchstone seems to be designed to only view the Pre when you are sitting at your desk and the Touchstone is in directly in front of you. It appears to be angled low.

    With my BB Flip in the OEM charging pod I purchased I can see the time from across the room as the phone sits practically straight up. "Bedside Mode" turns off the radio and leaves a (big) clock on and the alarm functioning. It's my alarm clock and table clock.

    I know Palm is selling the Touchstone as a wireless charger, phone booth, drive in movie, etc., but I would be very content just to be able to see what time it is from my couch.
    stick the charger on the wall. supposedly, the magnet is strong enough to hold the pre in that position.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Um there is an electromagnet in the touchstone (only 1 way for a magnetic induction to take place oscilating magnetic fields either by an ac powered electromagnet, or a moving earth magnet or dc powered electromagnet) ... It's common knowledge that a strong enough magnetic field will erase magnetic information like those kept on the magnetic strips of keycards. btw an electromagnet is a magnet.

    Metal is most likely used in the phone's special backplate, the voltage must be induced on a conductor (most are metallic) in order to charge the battery.
    SedahDrol is exactly right--the Touchstone must induce a current on a coil somewhere on the Pre (probably the battery door, since we know the Touchstone requires a different battery door).

    Now, the coil/magnet in the door is likely quite weak unless it is being charged via the Touchstone.

    I too have had hotel keys disabled by my cellphone. I believe, though I'm not sure, that what wiped it out was the magnet in the speaker for the speakerphone. I don't think that the electromagnetic radiation from the antenna is powerful enough to flip the bits in the magnetic strip. This is a guess, but it's an electrical engineer's educated guess.

    So, I don't think the Pre will have any more or less capability to wipe hotel card keys or credit cards than any other cell phone with a speaker.
  3. #23  
    When the Pre is not on the Touchstone the battery door would not be the source of any magnetic field, so the phone itself would not be a problem. The Touchstone could be.
  4. #24  
    I always wondered about the wisdom of manufacturers in having a lot of phone cases (and even wallets or purses), use magnets as latches. This seems like a fairly new fad. I feel confident that magnets may erase credit card and other magnetic strip info. That's "may", not always, you might luck out and never have a problem. I have had enough cards mysteriously become erased over the years to wonder why take the chance.
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  5. #25  
    This might be slightly off topic, but in one of the many Videos that I have watched, the woman demonstrating the phone with the touchstone said that you could place the touchstone on your dashboard!....ok...well to me that would indicate that maybe the Touchstone also has cigarette lighter adapter plug, not just the plug to stick it into the wall! Now that would be cool, because I could stick the touchstone on my dashboard, turn on the hopefully included sprint navigation, and could charge the phone while having it in a good position to look at where I am going.

    Now I hope that woman didn't have a blonde moment and forgot that most extension cords end at around 50 feet, but if it really also had a cig lighter adapter, then that would be cool.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    This might be slightly off topic, but in one of the many Videos that I have watched, the woman demonstrating the phone with the touchstone said that you could place the touchstone on your dashboard!....ok...well to me that would indicate that maybe the Touchstone also has cigarette lighter adapter plug, not just the plug to stick it into the wall! Now that would be cool, because I could stick the touchstone on my dashboard, turn on the hopefully included sprint navigation, and could charge the phone while having it in a good position to look at where I am going.

    Now I hope that woman didn't have a blonde moment and forgot that most extension cords end at around 50 feet, but if it really also had a cig lighter adapter, then that would be cool.
    The Touchstone would have a mains cord attached. One for car use would be a different beast.
  7. #27  
    My Blackberry has a magnet, it is very unlikely that you will be able to wipe a credit card.

    I have how ever wiped my rail cards, the paper card with a mag strip are easily wiped if i put hem in the same pocket as my phone.

    As other have said though, the actual magnet will be in the touchstone base itself.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Sun View Post
    My Blackberry has a magnet...
    All speakers use magnets (including headphones) [there are a couple of other alternatives, but far and away the vast majority use magnets]. All cell phones with speakerphones thus have magnets. Any cell phone with a speakerphone is capable of wiping magnetic strips. This is not a Pre issue or a BB issue, it's a cell phone issue.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    I always wondered about the wisdom of manufacturers in having a lot of phone cases (and even wallets or purses), use magnets as latches. This seems like a fairly new fad. I feel confident that magnets may erase credit card and other magnetic strip info. That's "may", not always, you might luck out and never have a problem. I have had enough cards mysteriously become erased over the years to wonder why take the chance.
    It depends on the magstripe. Most cards these days have high-coercivity magstripes. They are pretty insensitive to the magnets that you're likely to have on your person or in your home. Low-coercivity cards OTOH can easily get erased by common magnets like in a purse or wallet clasp. You can generally tell the difference between the two by the color. Low-coercivity stripes are usually a light brown, and high-coercivity stripes are almost black.

    In a previous life, we used a dual-striped card where one side (high) was for the building security system and the other was for the fuel system (low). The building stripe almost never had any problems, but we wound up either replacing the cards or reencoding the fuel stripes all the time. We even had a guy that I joked with about his having a 'magnetic personality' because he was getting cards reencoded or replaced at least every three weeks. We wound up getting him two single stripe cards since replacing the dual stripes wasn't cost effective.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    It's not clear right now whether the magnets are in the base or in the phone back - the "magnetic" phone back probably just has a steel plate in it while the actual magnets are in the base.
    That would seem right to me it will save on weight.
  11. #31  
    I think the only reason they have the separate door is because the stupid touchstone is angled with no lip so it needs metal in the door to have the magnets in the touchstone hold it in place. A lip at the bottom of the touchstone would solve the problem of needing the separate door. A grippy silicone case would most likely keep the Pre on the Touchstone.

    It's the same tech that charges shavers and toothbrushes where I've seen the device start charging as it just gets close to the charger.

    I think the whole mahnet thing and angled touchstone is just overengineering on their part. Create an expense where there doesn't need to be one. a simple lip on the bottom would support the Pre in either portrait or landscape.

    In a car, a simple cradle with induction charging would be sweet. A metal back with magnets in the cradle would be nice. It could be universal so any device with induction charging could be used.

    That is the real long term benefit to devices with induction charging. The more widely adopted it gets, the more you'll see induction pads popping up in cars, planes, hotels, desks and other furniture. You could buy an 8x10 pad and have it on your desk, bureau or whatever and charge your phone, media player, netbook, pda, shaver, whatever all at the same time. But right now it's more just marketing.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post

    ... the stupid touchstone is angled...
    ... to improve your view of the screen when the Pre is charging.
  13. #33  
    no foolin'. but if you had a lip at the bottom you wouldn't need magnets and metal. why not make it adjustable so if you wanted it more upright for across the room site as mentioned above, angled further down for in front viewing or flat if you really don't car and just want it to charge. just a little thing that seems either too thought out or not thought out enough.

    Either way, there are or will be induction pads made by third parties that should do the trick so you wouldn't need to buy anything extra from palm. For how valuable space is in the Pre (by their admission for the omission of a card slot), I can't imagine the battery cover would contain anything necessary for induction charging to work. It is most likely built into the phone itself and would work without the 'special' battery door.
  14. cyndy's Avatar
    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    no foolin'. but if you had a lip at the bottom you wouldn't need magnets and metal. why not make it adjustable so if you wanted it more upright for across the room site as mentioned above, angled further down for in front viewing or flat if you really don't car and just want it to charge. just a little thing that seems either too thought out or not thought out enough.

    Either way, there are or will be induction pads made by third parties that should do the trick so you wouldn't need to buy anything extra from palm. For how valuable space is in the Pre (by their admission for the omission of a card slot), I can't imagine the battery cover would contain anything necessary for induction charging to work. It is most likely built into the phone itself and would work without the 'special' battery door.
    if there was no magnet, but just a lip (as you suggest) to hold the pre in place, the base would have to be a lot bigger & curved to keep the pre from rolling off. i think i prefer the smaller magnet in this case.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    ... to improve your view of the screen when the Pre is charging.
    Only it doesn't imho, unless you are sitting at your desk looking down on it. Now if that is what they intended, and it must be, so be it.

    But to be anywhere but your desk, sitting or standing in front of it, the phone isn't viewable while on the Touchstone.

    When a call comes in, you will not be able to view a caller id (number or contact pic) without getting up to look. While I read here

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...n-impressions/

    that auto answer can be enabled and speakerphone will activate (cool), you lose the ability to screen calls without getting up to look.

    Again, it's not what I am used to with my BB, but then again the iPhone too positions the phone vertically to allow the viewing of incoming calls from a distance. Seems like that was the point of a dock to begin with, along with losing the hassle of plugging and unplugging to charge.

    I guess an angled "dock dock" accessory is what I need, and an app to keep the backlight on while charging with a big clock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by galavanter; 01/27/2009 at 07:51 PM.
  16. cyndy's Avatar
    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #36  
    remember, you can supposedly stick the charger/dock to a vertical surface. wall? monitor? file box?
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    remember, you can supposedly stick the charger/dock to a vertical surface. wall? monitor? file box?
    Doesn't seem practical to me. The Touchstone (and Pre) would still be angled inappropriately.
  18. #38  
    I want to stick that thing to my dashboard so it will be great for using the speaker phone function while driving, and also for navigation...after all, Sprint Navigation is supposed to be included.
  19. #39  
    actually you're wrong. It already has a friction fit from resting on the pad. A Small curved lip on the bottom that matches the bottom curve of the pre is all that is needed unless you plan on using it in an earthquake or on a treadmill. In landscape mode it would rest more on the edges of the lip, but it would still be stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    if there was no magnet, but just a lip (as you suggest) to hold the pre in place, the base would have to be a lot bigger & curved to keep the pre from rolling off. i think i prefer the smaller magnet in this case.
  20. #40  
    So what's the verdict?
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions