Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    How cool would that be, just throw it on your dash and it holds it and charges it...
    That would be very cool.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    That would be really cool!!!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    I don't see why this isn't possible. Is the cord an detachable? IF so, This will definitely happen.
    Don't forget that a phone sitting on a pad (even with magnets) becomes a projectile in a collision. I would be worried about breaking the phone even during emergency braking. Now, an inductive charger that secures the phone would be awesome...no plugging/unplugging. Nice for people getting in/out of their cars several times per day.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    OK. I probably need to get a patent on that one... Might be too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Don't forget that a phone sitting on a pad (even with magnets) becomes a projectile in a collision. I would be worried about breaking the phone even during emergency braking. Now, an inductive charger that secures the phone would be awesome...no plugging/unplugging. Nice for people getting in/out of their cars several times per day.
    Phone on a magnet is no more of a projectile then what I have now --phone sitting on passenger seat attached to long thin cord. Bigger issue is would the thing fall off when you hit a bump.
    I personally don't see the big deal here with Touchstone

You have to have a special battery door
    The phone has to be connected to the wired touchstone. Isn't that already like being plugged in to a wall adapter.

As far as a vehicular touchstone goes. WARNING Science Content:
    DC current (what a standard cigarette lighter provides) can't produce magnetic induction which is what touchstone uses to charge. So they would need to provide you with a power inverter to transform 12 VDC to VAC so the touchstones electromagnet can create those wonderful oscillating magnetic fields required to induce voltage so your battery can charge.

IOW buy a power inverter for your car and plug in your touchstone. Palm would either have to have one built in to a vehicular touchstone or provide you with one anyway.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Isn't that already like being plugged in to a wall adapter.
    Not really. I personally can't be bothered to plug in my phone at work because I have to plug in the cable. The only time I plug in my Centro is when I need to (because the battery is getting low and I forgot my other batteries), or when I go to bed at night. On the other hand, I regularly put down my phone on my desk when I sit down, so putting it down on the Touchstone (which gives a better viewing angle anyways) easily become habit.

Besides, it's just cool (even if it is using technology that has been around for quite a while).
    Quote Originally Posted by CV1 View Post
    How cool would that be, just throw it on your dash and it holds it and charges it...
    Just get a power inverter, which converts a cigarette plug to regular AC outlet and take the Touchstone charger in the car.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    DC current (what a standard cigarette lighter provides) can't produce magnetic induction which is what touchstone uses to charge. So they would need to provide you with a power inverter to transform 12 VDC to VAC so the touchstones electromagnet can create those wonderful oscillating magnetic fields required to induce voltage so your battery can charge.
    It can't? How do you think an automotive coil which fires the spark plug works? It's not a direct current it's an inductive current that fires the spark plug (at approximately 12,000 volts DC or more see here). Now whether it can sustain the inductance may be a better question to charge the Pre?

One of the vids out there (I think at PIC) talked about the touchstone having "a sticky base" that might be useful in a car. I doubt that it will be the popular way to go however.
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 01/10/2009 at 10:28 AM.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I personally don't see the big deal here with Touchstone

You have to have a special battery door
    The phone has to be connected to the wired touchstone. Isn't that already like being plugged in to a wall adapter.

IOW buy a power inverter for your car and plug in your touchstone. Palm would either have to have one built in to a vehicular touchstone or provide you with one anyway.
    I remember seeing an USB connector into the Touchstone in a video. If that's true, then there shouldn't be any problem, because USB is only 5v.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    It can't? How do you think an automotive coil which fires the spark plug works? It's not a direct current it's an inductive current that fires the spark plug (at approximately 12,000 volts DC or more see here). Now whether it can sustain the inductance may be a better question to charge the Pre?

One of the vids out there (I think at PIC) talked about the touchstone having "a sticky base" that might be useful in a car. I doubt that it will be the popular way to go however.
    You are currect you can make DC produce a magnetically induced current if you provide a moving part. But DC alone can't do it. An ignition coil works because it's suddenly stops the current this sudden drop kills the magnetic field thus inducing a current. But one also attach a motor the the magnetic coil and make it move that way and induce a current. Or one could simply get an power inverter and let it produce the necessary AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I remember seeing an USB connector into the Touchstone in a video. If that's true, then there shouldn't be any problem, because USB is only 5v.
    I'm sorry. I'm not following you. What does 5 volts have to do with whether the touchstone can be used in a car or not.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I'm sorry. I'm not following you. What does 5 volts have to do with whether the touchstone can be used in a car or not.
    My point was Touchstone does not take VAC directly. If it can convert 5v DC to produce the required field, 12v DC should not have any issue. Also car's 12v can power almost all USB devices, so Touchstone is no different.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    No moving parts reqired. The circuitry to generate AC would simply be included in the car Touchstone. (a la inverter)
    The new car mounts that people make for the Pre should have the Touchstone type charging. That way it's secure, you can view it for GPS, and it's charging w/o having to hook and unhook wires to the actual Pre.

Having said all that, I already have a mount for my 700p that has the ability to plug in any USB charging type device. Thus, I'm ready. I just need my Pre with stand-alone GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    No moving parts reqired. The circuitry to generate AC would simply be included in the car Touchstone. (a la inverter)
    most inverters have moving parts. But if they build in an inverter, it would probably be just cheaper to by one and use the regular touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    My point was Touchstone does not take VAC directly. If it can convert 5v DC to produce the required field, 12v DC should not have any issue. Also car's 12v can power almost all USB devices, so Touchstone is no different.
    Unfortunately in order for TouchStone to produce an oscillating magnetic field necessary to induce current you need AC power or dc + a moving part ( like an inverter circuit or as mentioned above something similar to an ignition coil).
    The big deal with touchstone is the fact that this technology is something that will be widely accepted in a variety of places. This is not just a "Palm" thing, but an industry thing that is starting to happen; palm just managed to release a mainstream device with it first.

Think of it this way, and this is a brilliant move by palm, business people travel a lot. When they go on airline flights or to a hotel, instead of having to have your own charger, and looking for a plug in a hotel room that you're not familiar with, you just put your phone on the designated charging areas. Airlines plan to have this technology on the plan, and hotels will have them on the nightstand. People who travel put their phone on the nightstand anyways, why not have it charge as well?

This feature is probably intended for the business class...it also wows some people because it's new.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast