Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Hmmm...

Yes, it seems like a stretch. Maybe if/when LuneOS is optimised, but as far as I can tell, it's 3-4 operating systems stuck together, which I doubt makes it compact, though perhaps no worse than most modern operating systems which are all developments of earlier work rather than being built 'from the ground up'.

I took a look at the feasibility document. It was written in 2013. Even the N4 outstrips this spec.

That said, shoe-horning newer boards into existing casings is an interesting approach. Hardware specs are a moving target, so I suppose there is a chance that they could jump to a newer generation without too many difficulties. It might be worth keeping an eye on this.
    I don't understand why they didn't got for TI OMAP 4th or 5th gen instead of 3rd. Would have already made quite some difference. Galaxy Nexus has a 4th gen and that's already a bit slow. It's not impossible, but it's nowhere where it should be performance wise. 1GB of RAM is also little. Not impossible, just far from ideal.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  2.    #22  
    Given the RPi port, I was also looking at, https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/compute-module/
    Only 512Mb of RAM, but 4Gb SD card equivalent on board. There may be a newer version due, not sure.
    There is also now 64bit Linux for the RPi3: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/sus...-raspberry-pi/
    Finally a sign of life from Puzzlephone (mentioned earlier in this thread):

PuzzlePhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    We don't need Android hardware or Cyanogen, just the problem is that the chipset and hardware manufacturers only offer binary blob drivers for Android in general so we're forced to use a very stripped down Android version & libhybris in order to be able to use the device for our needs. If there's a device with a proper linux kernel & drivers (like the Raspberry Pi etc) it removes quite some complexity and layers from a port :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    so... out of curiosity, has anyone messed with Intel tablet or tablet-convertible PCs ?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    so... out of curiosity, has anyone messed with Intel tablet or tablet-convertible PCs ?
    You mean one of those Atom Z8x00 tablets ? or actually a real pc ( example Thinkpad X6xt , X2x0t ) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    You mean one of those Atom Z8x00 tablets ? or actually a real pc ( example Thinkpad X6xt , X2x0t ) ?
    Either or both, or whatever. Presumably some touch-screen Windows PC / Tablet thing. Seems like an easy target?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I would assume yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    I would assume yes.
    .... so it would make sense to me, that there should? be? an Intel image that can run from usb.. :-)
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I don't get how that would be possible. Why would there be Android device drivers for a Windows tablet? It would probably run poorly in the emulator on such a device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I don't get how that would be possible. Why would there be Android device drivers for a Windows tablet? It would probably run poorly in the emulator on such a device.
    Quote Originally Posted by herrie
    If there's a device with a proper linux kernel & drivers (like the Raspberry Pi etc) it removes quite some complexity and layers from a port
    Basically, an emulator build running on the hardware, instead of on the emulator. Probably with a whole bunch of extra hardware support. Is something like that doable?
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  11.    #31  
    Well, if I can view this forum using an Intel machine running linux, what prevents a build using the Linux drivers? Isn't this the idea (rather than emulation)? I believe LuneOS can already work with mouse & keyboard, though obviously it's designed for touch. I not aware if there are Linux options for touchscreen PCs, intel tablets or hybrids like the Surface. As it's a mobile OS, I assume tablets and hybrids would be the focus here.

Obviously, the overwhelming majority of non-Apple mobile devices are Android and libhybris allows targeting some of those. I'm not clear what penalties occur when using the Android/Linux kernel with Libhybris compared to straight embedded Linux and I wouldn't be surprised if the Surface was locked down to windows, but there may be (low priority) possibilities for a port to Intel H/W. As a Cyanogenmod port is a good sign of a possible LuneOS target, perhaps an available Linux distro could be a similar sign for an x86 tablet/hybrid device.

When all that is said however, the recent demo of windows on snapdragon may mark the begining of the end for x86, making the whole question irrelevant.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/24/2016 at 09:10 AM.
  12.    #32  
    This thread from richip points out that Librem are making a phone: Purism Librem 5
    I see there's also a tablet...
    Someone forwarded me this link earlier, but it does look a rather tempting device..

Gemini

Designed by the same people that designed the original Psion devices (yes, it has been a couple of years..)
    Alan Morford likes this.
  14.    #34  
    My old Treo had a flip lid with the earpiece in the top, so it was roughly phone shaped when open. I had the Graffiti version, not the keyboard. A friend gave me an old mda, but I didn't do much with it as I preferred the Palm (& Hotsync > Activesync).

Psion devices were a bit before my time, but this looks good - it could be a really nice LuneOS device.

But is it a phone? How do you put it to your ear? If it was like the MDA, with the screen on top and a slide out landscape keyboard, I'd be sold. I realise they are going for a Palm-top with GSM capability...

Hmmm...
    Gemini is not a phone, even if in a way the 4G version could be used as one.
    But has the wrong form factor to be used as a phone... wrong screen orientation, and you need to open it to use the screen.

it's nothing more than a mini laptop, and there are already various out there
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12