Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By veyron431
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    I hope that this is the right board to write this on, but I haven't exactly been on here much for a while since I stopped using webOS devices in 2013. But early last year, TCL's announcement where they were intended to revive the Palm brand did get me excited again to own a device with my old favourite phone brand sitting proudly not he back. However, since then, there has been utter silence. I half expected TCL to announce something at CES this year, but over a year from the initial announcement, there has been nothing. I'm just wondering, do any of you guys have any thoughts or have heard any rumours on TCL's intentions with Palm, or has the project now been cancelled?

Thanks guys
    tullius128 likes this.
    I have no information, but my opinion is don't hold your breath.

TCL / Alcatel seem to be doing OK in their niche. I expect the Palm brand was going cheap and they snapped it up with an idea to give themselves a cool brand make over. They talked the talk about asking the "Palm community" to get involved in producing new, innovative products, but at the time we all took the view that this was just talk and cynically assumed that any new product would be the badge slapped on an Alcatel "me too" Android phone - especially when they stated that webOS wouldn't be used.

What is the "Palm community"? It's either the engineers & designers who made the original products or it's the customers or both. The former employees seem mostly gainfully employed in other tech businesses and there's been no official communication with this forum - which seems to be the obvious place to find Palm customers.

There may be a secret project of which we are unaware. It would be strange for TCL / Alcatel to make this public announcement with out actually starting something internally and to be fair, it might take a couple of years to set up a project / subsidiary and get a viable product. But if we assume that there are few or no ex-Palm people involved and no one's asking us, then what would a new Palm product be like?

You can see from the trials of Jolla, Blackberry and even Microsoft Windows phone that the market has reached a state where any new phone pretty much has to be an Android phone (if you're not Apple).

Palm was in the Handheld computer / smart-phone business. Alcatel is in the phone business. They could make some kind of hand held or phone. If a phone, it's likely to be an Android, but it could still be a quality piece of hardware, a bid for the high-end. But differentiating from the flagship products of competitors will be a problem.

The other option could be in the new kinds of 'Smart devices' like watches and other wearables or home automation or maybe there's some new product type to be found? If Alcatel really try, they could produce something worthy of the Palm name, even if there's no real connection to the past other than that name. The Bugatti Veyron may be an example here! Of course the very word, 'Palm' suggests something that is hand-held.

My total guess in order of likelihood:
    • Unremarkable Android phone.
    • Really good Android phone.
    • Some kind of wearable.
    • Something totally new or a game-changer in an existing market.
    poehoes likes this.
    I suspect anything new that comes out, relating to the Palm brand, will be for developing markets, aka China and India. Not us. US telecoms don't want anything but Android and apple. US corporate-think loves a two party system.

We'd be better off trying to build a 4G modem to retrofit existing Pre2s.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    vgg likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I suspect anything new that comes out, relating to the Palm brand, will be for developing markets, aka China and India. Not us. US telecoms don't want anything but Android and apple. US corporate-think loves a two party system.

We'd be better off trying to build a 4G modem to retrofit existing Pre2s.
    I think you're right. If that doesn't happen, TCL will likely replace the Alcatel brand with Palm as opposed to trying to make competing brands. I've tried emailing TCL about the Palm plans, but I don't think I'll hear anything from them. I don't think going into the phones would be good for them. Tablets are probably the best thing to target now. That or wearables.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hunt View Post
    I think you're right. If that doesn't happen, TCL will likely replace the Alcatel brand with Palm as opposed to trying to make competing brands. I've tried emailing TCL about the Palm plans, but I don't think I'll hear anything from them. I don't think going into the phones would be good for them. Tablets are probably the best thing to target now. That or wearables.
    i didn't see specifics, but it's possible what they did was all about getting the legal use of the name 'Pixi', which IS a product they've marketed. Odd things occur when appeasing lawyers.

But i'm pretty doubtful anyone wants to touch the brand anymore. it's become a 'scarlet letter'.
    it would take a company with real 'cojones' to try a relaunch of the brand IMHO.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Too bad nothing ever happened. The domain mynewpalm.com doesn't go anywhere or load a page anymore.
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    There has been recent chatter that something will happen here following the Blackberry deal, but that is a license whereas Palm is just the name. Given the rejection of a webOS phone and no sign of any engagement with the 'Palm Community', it's hard to expect anything beyond another Android clone. I'm even wondering if remarks from TCL are just covering the fact that they bought a white elephant.
    veyron431 likes this.
  8.    #8  
    To be honest, at this point, if TCL were to relaunch Palm in the same way they have with Blackberry, I would be ecstatic. Android is nowhere near as bad as it was seven or so years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by veyron431 View Post
    To be honest, at this point, if TCL were to relaunch Palm in the same way they have with Blackberry, I would be ecstatic. Android is nowhere near as bad as it was seven or so years ago.
    It seems to me (who never had a Blackberry) that those who liked them liked the software, keyboard & security. I don't know how popular the new range will be, but judging by the price, they are being offered as high-end handsets with keyboards and a 'Blackberry-styled' secure Android. Two out of three ain't bad.

Palm tended to have fairly unique H/W, though the later Treos moved from Graffiti to keyboard input and OSes that prioritised getting out of the users way to optimise productivity. They were user friendly enough that they were probably the first mobile devices to have a significant app eco-system (RIM's first USP was push-email: Hence the KB).

So what can TCL do with that brand? They could make phone with KB + gesture area and mimic webOS in Android, but while it might be good enough for some webOS fans, another section would ask, "Why not just bring back webOS?" and the majority of the market would be indifferent.

I think the 'best' (and riskiest) play would be for TCL to innovate, experiment & put the results out under the Palm brand. We've seen LG's modular effort & other trials. TCL could keep churning out the standard handsets, sell BBs to executives and use Palm to throw crazy stuff at the wall to see what sticks. This will also respect Palm's serial history of failure.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/12/2017 at 07:40 PM.
    A Palm branded Android phone with a keyboard and some "unique" hardware (hopefully something NOT square) would be AMAZING and I would go for it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.