Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  1.    #1  

SEOUL, Aug. 31 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's No. 2 tech giant LG Electronics Inc. said Monday it will showcase an upgraded edition of the LG Watch Urbane, its flagship smartwatch, at an electronics show slated to be held in Germany next month.

The LG Watch Urbane Luxe, which will be showcased at the Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA) held in Berlin from Sept. 4, will boast a gold body and crocodile-skin strap, the company said.

The price tag on the device is US$1,200, and will be sold on a limited basis with only 500 units available through REEDS Jewelers, a U.S.-based retailer.

The smartwatch will be equipped with a 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor and run on the Android Wear platform. It comes with a 1.3-inch plastic organic light-emitting diode (P-OLED) display and a 410mAh battery.

Samsung Electronics Co., which showcased its latest phablets earlier this month, is also expected to introduce its first round-face smartwatch at this year's IFA.

LG to showcase luxury smartwatch in Germany at IFA

Press Release:
    LG WATCH URBANE LUXE, AN EXQUISITE SMARTWATCH
    Limited Edition Device from LG is More Jewelry Than Wearable

SEOUL, Aug. 31, 2015 — In collaboration with U.S. retail jewelry company REEDS Jewelers, LG Electronics (LG) will introduce a premium limited edition smartwatch, LG Watch Urbane Luxe. This luxurious wearable was designed with a specific wearer in mind and is adorned in 23-karat gold and gorgeous alligator leather strap set in an exclusive piano-gloss lacquer case. Available starting at the end of October, the LG Watch Urbane Luxe will retail for approximately USD 1,200.

The LG Watch Urbane Luxe will sport a deployment clasp for a fitted, elegant look that isn’t bulky. Invented by Louis Cartier in 1910, the use of a deployment clasp makes this timepiece even more exclusive and unique. The alligator band itself is handcrafted at the highest level of craftsmanship, undergoing 50 separate steps in its creation, handled lovingly by 30 experienced leatherworkers. The 23-karat gold used in the LG Watch Urbane Luxe is stronger and harder than the 24-karat gold used in jewelry and heavier than the 18-karat gold used in traditional luxury watches.

“Wearable devices shouldn’t be thought of as an extension of one’s smartphone but an extension of oneself,” said Chris Yie, vice president and head of marketing communications for LG Mobile Communications Company. “This blending of craftsmanship and technology is a natural evolution of the smartwatch, which is becoming more of a lifestyle accessory than a piece of hardware. We think this is a good direction for wearables and we want to encourage this transformation.”

Each of the 500 limited edition watches will be engraved with its own serial number for authenticity and available initially in the USA for pre-order at REEDS Jewelers - Diamonds, Rings, Fine Jewelry and Watches later this month or by visiting any REEDS Jewelers location. Visitors to IFA 2015 can see this beautiful work of art for themselves along with other mobile devices from LG in Hall 18 of Messe Berlin from September 4-9.

LG WATCH URBANE LUXE, AN EXQUISITE SMARTWATCH | LG Newsroom
    Last edited by akitayo; 09/01/2015 at 12:31 PM.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Android Wear cannot be webOS based, so I'm curious what it'll run
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    As far as I could tell none of the references mention webOS. So my guess will be...not webOS.

I really don't understand this trend of 'decadent' smart-watches. It's kinda like "look I've got money to spend, so I've got a smartwatch" vs. "look I've got even more money to spend, so my smartwatch is gold with an alligator strap" (and it's certainly not only LG going the decadent route). How does this help smartwatches as a 'brand' in general?
    According to the retailer link, it's Android.
    LG Watch Urbane Luxe - Limited Edition 23k Gold Heavy Plate and Alligator - Item LG-URBANE-LUXE | REEDS Jewelers
    (includes promo video)

On the decadent thing: New technologies tend to be expensive, but can get cheaper with economies of scale. The scale needs to be funded, so a common strategy is to sell to 'early adopter' types & the rich (a lot of overlap in those categories!) or sometimes business and industrial products are so useful, that they become consumer goods.
    Mobile phones, Smart phones, Tesla cars are all examples of things that were expensive, luxury items that have become mass-market products.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/01/2015 at 09:02 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    According to the retailer link, it's Android.
    LG Watch Urbane Luxe - Limited Edition 23k Gold Heavy Plate and Alligator - Item LG-URBANE-LUXE | REEDS Jewelers
    (includes promo video)

On the decadent thing: New technologies tend to be expensive, but can get cheaper with economies of scale. The scale needs to be funded, so a common strategy is to sell to 'early adopter' types & the rich (a lot of overlap in those categories!) or sometimes business and industrial products are so useful, that they become consumer goods.
    Mobile phones, Smart phones, Tesla cars are all examples of things that were expensive, luxury items that have become mass-market products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    As far as I could tell none of the references mention webOS. So my guess will be...not webOS.

I really don't understand this trend of 'decadent' smart-watches. It's kinda like "look I've got money to spend, so I've got a smartwatch" vs. "look I've got even more money to spend, so my smartwatch is gold with an alligator strap" (and it's certainly not only LG going the decadent route). How does this help smartwatches as a 'brand' in general?
    Sorry guys for the confusion This smartwatch LG Urbane Luxe runs Android Wear only and it is not a WebOS based like it is the LG Urbane LTE showed on MWC 2015

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2490377,00.asp
    Last edited by akitayo; 09/01/2015 at 12:42 PM.
  6.    #6  
    LG WebOS Smartwatches are scheduled to arrive for early 2016
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    my problem is not with catering to a richer audience. My problem is that they do it with a lack of style and class (LG isn't event the biggest offender here). Hance the term decadence. It's not about a product being expensive and/or exclusive. It's about adding diamonds, gold, etc. which makes the product (and possibly related products by association) kitsch (and overly expensive), without adding to the product itself. Just my thoughts ;-)
    Last edited by Misj'; 09/01/2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    my problem is not with catering to a richer audience. My problem is that they do it with a lack of style and class (LG isn't event the biggest offender here). Hance the term decadence. It's not about a product being expensive and/or exclusive. It's about adding diamonds, gold, etc. which makes the product (and possibly related products by association) kitsch (and overly expensive), without adding to the product itself. Just my thoughts ;-)
    You sayin' I got no taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    You sayin' I got no taste?
    You wear black...that counts for something I suppose
    Preemptive likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Guys there is a very good chance the LG URBANE LTE 2 smartwach probably WebOS based will be showcased at IFA 2015 Berlin.

I will let you know if the rumor comes true.
    I saw something on that a couple days ago and it mentioned webos and android. I figured the writer didn't know what he was talking about and since it doesn't have its on radio it must be android.

Now, Samsung is introducing it's watches with their own lte radios. I wonder what they will run. Android wearable doesn't support this, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Guys there is a very good chance the LG URBANE LTE 2 smartwach probably WebOS based will be showcased at IFA 2015 Berlin.

I will let you know if the rumor comes true.
    I was thinking they were waiting to introduce a 2nd version in the US/worldwide so they could get bugs out and build up some apps and infrastructure for it pre-release. With Sammy introducing 2 watches with antennas, LG better have a good offering.