Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By akitayo
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  

The LG Urbane LTE WebOS powered was presented at the MWC 2015 and is not around yet in the west at all , but still in Korea. However this version is now available on amazon but is not selling at a reasonable price.

Now LG is coming with two new WebOS powered thanks to the presence of a headphone jack and CDMA connectivity . The LG`s Urbane LTE smartwatch is the only smartwatch with cellular connectivity and it is the WebOS version.

The two models are: the LG-VC110 and the LG-VC200. (this last is coming to Verizon, see picture above). The VC-110 measures 56mm x 41.5mm, with a 45mm screen. On the other hand, the VC-200 has the same overall size of 56mm x 41.5mm, but its screen is listed at only 33mm. Both with mini USB port in the back, Bluetooth 4.0 LE ,WiFi,

These two models passed through the FCC.

VC-110 pictures:

There are currently no Android Wear smartwatches with cellular connectivity, and there has been no indication that Google would support it.

LG Smartwatch Rumors: LG-VS110 and LG-VS200 | Digital Trends
    I cant see the LG Wearable Platform( Formerly known as WebOS) tout itself on Verizon in the US though. Would a telecommunications giant take that kind of risk especially when the wearable device boom is beginning?? It would be nice but I'm not getting my hopes up yet
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by T4H_KiserSose View Post
    I cant see the LG Wearable Platform( Formerly known as WebOS) tout itself on Verizon in the US though. Would a telecommunications giant take that kind of risk especially when the wearable device boom is beginning?? It would be nice but I'm not getting my hopes up yet
    The WebOS based LG Urbane LTE was already tested by AUDI and might be approval enough for Verizon to get the smartwatch.

After all is WebOS the world`s best mobile OS. Don`t you think?

Quote:
    What’s more, LG and Audi will demonstrate how IoT can make the driving experience more convenient with help from LG Watch Urbane LTE. Using the NFC feature, drivers can lock and unlock their vehicles and start the engine from the watch. In the future, the LG watch will be able to calculate the remaining distance to a destination, provide directions and distance to the parked car as well as activating the climate control settings from outside the automobile.

Source: LGā€™S BROAD RANGE OF MOBILE INNOVATIONS ON DISPLAY AT MWC 2015 | LG Newsroom

You can browse all the discussion we made about it on this forum: LG unveils first 4G smartwatch, based on WebOS software

Sure thing the OS will arrive with an upgrade on these new two models. Much better for Verizon customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by T4H_KiserSose View Post
    I'd say the beginning of a boom is exactly the time to take risks. It is likely that in a few years the market will settle down to a known volume and standardised options. It may very well be that it closely follows the phone segment and defaults to Android/iOS, but as long as compatibility is maintained, other players like Pebble and webOS have a chance. webOS might have a UI advantage, but currently it's clear unique selling point is mobile data connectivity - all the other watches pair with a phone or simply don't make calls. In other words: You need a phone.

For some, a watch with simple apps & a BT headset might be all they need. You can call, Text/IM, run a fitness tracker, listen to music, make a payment & unlock your car. Anything requiring a bigger screen could be done at home / office with a PC or tablet. The exception I see would be casual gaming or office work during a commute, but this would arguably be better on a tablet.

It might even happen that 'phones' will disappear, leaving the small convenience of a 'watch-phone' and the larger screen usability of a tablet - possibly BT-connected to the watch for network data. If that happens, then smart watches will become the ubiquitous thing. That's a huge market to play for and LG has the first watch that can make a call by itself.

Of course, at a time when everyone has a phone, a watch is a luxury (especially now there are some very cheap Android phones out there). Currently, the cost is 'phone + watch' where the watch is an add on. It's possible that the strategy of Apple/Google is to introduce the watch as an accessory and see where it goes - adding mobile data later. LG is going straight for the whole package, but take up may be limited by the additional cost of the webOS watch. One option would be to sell the watch as cheaply as possible to encourage take up and sell it as, "You don't need a phone - this IS your phone", the other might be to offer a deal with a bundled tablet - offering the larger screen as an accessory to the watch-phone.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/21/2015 at 09:17 AM.
    akitayo and T4H_KiserSose like this.

The title on Trending Now read "LG cooking two new webOS powered smart..." on my Touchpad, so I thought for a second that they were actually making phones again. Bummer.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post

The title on Trending Now read "LG cooking two new webOS powered smart..." on my Touchpad, so I thought for a second that they were actually making phones again. Bummer.
    Hopes we all want as real anytime soon
    Maybe I was a little to pessimistic in how I said Telecommunications Giants wont buy in on it. With what Preemptive says here is what I was thinking in some ways. The Urbane LTE appears as a luxury device even though it can be independent from a phone ( I love the watch by the way and especially the fact it runs such a great OS on it as well). But to the consumer, will they go as far to purchase a watch like this just to tell time and receive calls for convenience? or will they settle on a cheaper phone and does almost all what a smart watch can do but in a bigger format. This kind of looks like the Laptop-Tablet battle. Which can be most productive and convenient for someone and at what price will they invest for themselves >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    For some, a watch with simple apps & a BT headset might be all they need. You can call, Text/IM, run a fitness tracker, listen to music, make a payment & unlock your car. Anything requiring a bigger screen could be done at home / office with a PC or tablet. The exception I see would be casual gaming or office work during a commute, but this would arguably be better on a tablet.

It might even happen that 'phones' will disappear, leaving the small convenience of a 'watch-phone' and the larger screen usability of a tablet - possibly BT-connected to the watch for network data. If that happens, then smart watches will become the ubiquitous thing. That's a huge market to play for and LG has the first watch that can make a call by itself.

Of course, at a time when everyone has a phone, a watch is a luxury (especially now there are some very cheap Android phones out there). Currently, the cost is 'phone + watch' where the watch is an add on. It's possible that the strategy of Apple/Google is to introduce the watch as an accessory and see where it goes - adding mobile data later. LG is going straight for the whole package, but take up may be limited by the additional cost of the webOS watch. One option would be to sell the watch as cheaply as possible to encourage take up and sell it as, "You don't need a phone - this IS your phone", the other might be to offer a deal with a bundled tablet - offering the larger screen as an accessory to the watch-phone.

It is the best intuitive OS I agree wholeheartedly. I just want to see more corporate giants see that, but when they look back at the track record, they will not buy in entirely like "Elevation Partners" did when WebOS was fresh in our minds and people saw how great it could be. Roger McNamee was like a mascot for Palm in those days. Apotheker and HP put a scar on the OS. Something needs to really stand out for the OS for several companies to buy in. That's why I said it would be nice but then I should have added ...more people need to buy in. Audi, Verizon and LG to me doesn't seem to be enough.>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    The WebOS based LG Urbane LTE was already tested by AUDI and might be approval enough for Verizon to get the smart watch.

After all is WebOS the world`s best mobile OS. Don`t you think?

Today being driven back home from work the driver said to me " you have to check out this phone...it does everything a galaxy does!...I looked at it .. the screen wasn't of corning gorilla glass nor was the case as durable as it could be.. I didn't power it on but he told me it ran Android OS and he was using it to practice his piano skills while he was waiting for me in the parking lot. I have never seen this before but when he told me the cost I thought wow...and it does all what a top notch galaxy does?? Anyways the product name was InnJoo ( which I read up and it was presented in MWC 2015 -- but I didn't see any news on it )..when he told me the price I said to him " but the galaxy S6 is nice and has longer battery life and a bigger screen" .. he replies " I like the price and I can buy another tomorrow and not worry about it ..price was 200SAR ( roughly 55.00 US).... would this be an example of convenience for a consumer to purchase or invest in? I think this is where a majority would go just to communicate ...in a smart form fashion. Oh and I looked up the website.. they have smart watches too! called "InnWatch" hehe