Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    A little bit longer write up of the Wearable webos platform.

LG Watch Urbane LTE: Why It's Better than Android Wear | Digital Trends
    Last edited by paisley99; 03/05/2015 at 10:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Negative:
    Hands-on with two LG Watch Urbane models: One promising, one not so promising | Ars Technica
    The reviewer seems to object to the size of the watch more than the s/w.
    It cracks me up what a hater this guy is. The only thing i see can even say about the actual software is that he "didn't get much time with it but that it seems complicated". lol. But not before "There is currently no way to build a standalone Android Wear watch—so LTE had to use something else. LG only calls it the "LG Wearables Platform," which is probably one of the most boring OS names in history." Okay dude. He's a big fan of Android Wear since it "blows everything else away"

In a way his comment about not having time with it and it seeming complicated echoes what others have said, they said at first they were lost (well or course, they've only ever used Android) but once they got the hang of it they were zipping around in no time and it was much less confusing than other watch o/s.

But yeah, that watch is mad-big, no way i'd wear it. Well, i'm female, so that's easy but almost every reviewer has agreed, it's bulky/ginormo. Not sure it could not be at this stage with all of it capabilities.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Dare I ask, does anyone see any chance of LG being able to switch over to the Wearables webos platform? What do they gain and what do they lose by using their own o/s vs. android? For now of course they're only putting it on the LTE that's coming out in Korea. Their statements of course, like "We can't satisfy all customers with Android" are pretty telling, aka, not everyone likes it. hehe. That being said, what do you think are the chances that LG is able to switch from AW.

I know it would be costly to use their own software because that means paying developers and other time/staff working on related issues.

What are the implications for consumer demand? They don't necessarily gain consumers who want better software because people don't seem to operate that way. But they do have the potential to *lose* customers because people do work *this* way "i have an android watch, i should get an android phone" and "it'll integrate more seamlessly with my android phone", or people who love their google cards or people who in the future who might love google cards.

It's also a huge risk, if they do switch over to their own the way Samsung has, and then decide later to go back, that's a lot of switching os.

What does LG have to gain by moving over to their own software? I know there are gains for sure, but just interested it what some of those are.

Thanks.
    Last edited by paisley99; 03/07/2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Samsung haven't really moved to their own system. It's one phone that took a long time to arrive. Some even speculate Tizen only exists to bargain with Google.

I don't have any real experience of using Android, but I think one of the original advantages of the OS was that it offered a common, open, customisable & free(ish) operating system that was backed by Google & it's developing services. This brought the benefits of a broadly adopted eco-system (apps!), but one that hardware manufactureres could style in their own way a bit. Google has partnered with various manufacturers to produce Nexus devices which were very open (one reason LuneOS can be put on a Nexus4), good value and and a reference of the 'stock' Android implementation. Google have had to be careful (with the acquisition & sale of Motorola) not to start competing in the hardware area as their control of the OS might send their partners in search of alternatives for fear of being squeezed out. The OS advantage to Google is of course to drive users (and their data) to the Google platform, enabling them to better target advertising and sell data or services based on it. Other players taking the 'platform strategy' are Facebook (Firephone) & Amazon (kindle).

Increasingly, Google seek to improve the user experience and give it the slick feel of say, Apple, but to do this they need to exert greater control. Although the basic Android system is open-source (AOSP), the app-store and more and more of the 'bells & whistles' of the system are owned by Google and these "Google Play" services are licensed to the manufacturers. So, they are making devices that basically drive users (and their money) to Google.

The temptation is to use a different platform or develop their own. Now that almost everybody has a mobile phone, smartphone are becoming like PCs - churned out at very low-profit margins. The money is in the services. The problem is that new systems don't have a lot of apps or services in comparision to Android or iOS. So moving to them is potential business suicide if the users stick with Android.

Nonetheless, if Google becomes too powerful and profits begin to drop significantly, Samsung has Tizen & LG have webOS in reserve. But if major manufacturers desert Android, Google may find itself with a bit of a problem.

Smart TVs and watches are new markets, so the race is on again to be the most popular experience. The LTE watch apparently interacts with Android phones (as does the TVs), so enough people might decide that webOS watches are the best and LG will get more of that after-sales income.

So the advantage of Android is the vast eco-system. But a percentage of each handset sale goes to pay for Google play services, a percentage of each app sale and all the advertising money through search goes to Google.

The advantage of webOS or Tizen is getting your own bucket in the money stream - if you can successfully keep users and build out the eco-system. That's my take... I thought it would be shorter!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/07/2015 at 12:50 PM.
    paisley99 likes this.
  5.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post

But yeah, that watch is mad-big, no way i'd wear it. Well, i'm female, so that's easy but almost every reviewer has agreed, it's bulky/ginormo.
    Hearing this from reviewers regarding the Urbane LTE over the last couple weeks has me a bit puzzled. Ginormous watches that command attention have been a very popular flavor for at least a few years now. I understand it's not your personal cup of tea, and it's not mine either - I was gifted one a couple years ago and have never worn it - but A LOT of people love them, so it's very surprising to hear professional reviewers who should at least have an idea about what other people like seem so unaware of this.
    Give it a year or two. Everyone will be showing off their watch/tablets or 'wablets' as the hipsters will dub them.

paisley99, marcedhk and petbull like this.
  7.    #49  
    Watched the Apple event today, and as expected I don't see a killer feature that really sets it ahead of the other smart watches already on the market, it's essentially a "me too" device. Come on LG, take a chance, show iPhone owners some love and see if you can carve out an opportunity here...
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Simply ignore! Look away! Look away! Oh poo they're looking! *pout*

Lol I actually made a login to comment on that nonsense.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    marcedhk likes this.
    Honestly, if your car has an android tablet in the dash, I can imagine an ideal scenario where a user wears an LTE watch and Bluetooth headset. With NFC, the watch switches its pairing as you enter/exit the car. Phones become obsolete.

Oh wait, some people need to be continuously entertained with "apps" (aka candycrush) so not obsolete, but there is a market share to grab.

OK LG make a tablet with horizontal charging dock that mounts in the dash and contains an amp,etc. to replace the DIN stereo. Eliminate the handset and move us to watch-bt headset-8"tab combos.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    so they compared the urbane vs apple watch..not the lte.. figures
    LG Watch Urbane vs Apple Watch: Interface, apps, battery and price | Wearables News | TechRadar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Simply ignore! Look away! Look away! Oh poo they're looking! *pout*

Lol I actually made a login to comment on that nonsense.
    I gave u a thumbs up
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Apple Watch vs other luxury smartwatches | SiliconANGLE
    Apple Watch: Pebble, LG Urbane LTE, Huawei Watch and other competitors - Tech2
    Apple Watch vs. The Market: How Apple's Smart Watch Stacks Up Against Motorola, Samsung, LG And Pebble

"LG Watch Urbane (LTE)

The LG Watch Urbane has been poised as the only smartwatch that may be able to take on the Apple Watch. Pundits are especially impressed by its all-metal luxury design; it is the first high-end Android Wear device on the market.

The LG Watch Urbane is not yet released and its price hasn’t been announced, but the smartwatch likely won’t be cheap. Not only is the Urbane an attractive timepiece, it will also sell in an LTE model able to connect to mobile carriers and have a push-to-talk (PTT) feature. It will essentially be a walkie-talkie on your wrist that has unlimited range and allows for multiparty conversations.

It has a 1.3-inch (320 x 320 resolution) P-OLED display, 512MB of RAM and 4GB of internal storage. To power its advanced technology, the Urbane LTE will feature a 700mAh battery, much larger than the 410mAh battery in the base model LG Watch Urbane. Both watches run a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chip and the Android Wear operating system.

Sensors on both models include gyro, accelerometer, compass, barometer and heart rate; they are also dust- and water-resistant, with an Ingress Protection rating of IP67."

well they got part of it right...
    Apple Watch vs other luxury smartwatches | SiliconANGLE
    Apple Watch: Pebble, LG Urbane LTE, Huawei Watch and other competitors - Tech2
    Apple Watch vs. The Market: How Apple's Smart Watch Stacks Up Against Motorola, Samsung, LG And Pebble

Quote Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
    "LG Watch Urbane (LTE)

The LG Watch Urbane has been poised as the only smartwatch that may be able to take on the Apple Watch. Pundits are especially impressed by its all-metal luxury design; it is the first high-end Android Wear device on the market.

The LG Watch Urbane is not yet released and its price hasnít been announced, but the smartwatch likely wonít be cheap. Not only is the Urbane an attractive timepiece, it will also sell in an LTE model able to connect to mobile carriers and have a push-to-talk (PTT) feature. It will essentially be a walkie-talkie on your wrist that has unlimited range and allows for multiparty conversations.

It has a 1.3-inch (320 x 320 resolution) P-OLED display, 512MB of RAM and 4GB of internal storage. To power its advanced technology, the Urbane LTE will feature a 700mAh battery, much larger than the 410mAh battery in the base model LG Watch Urbane. Both watches run a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chip and the Android Wear operating system.

Sensors on both models include gyro, accelerometer, compass, barometer and heart rate; they are also dust- and water-resistant, with an Ingress Protection rating of IP67."
    well they got part of it right
    I'm thrilled like many to see a new device running on an evolution of our favorite Os, but I'm still skeptical
    I use a Webos Tv, there are some apps but two years after its launch the LG catalog is quite poor .
    More than that, the user experience is far away from the cards concept of the original design of Matias Duarte
    Not to mention Webos legacy devices cannot interact with it, no smart notifications can be seen on its screen.
    Still, it's a very good Tv and it sold way more than Palm and HP devices altogether

Nowadays the Lte won't even be called Webos device and the same can be said on LG's watches:
    How many major apps (Evernote is already announced for the Apple model), an effective user interface but far away from swipes and cards; not to mention its connectivity with other devices, whatever Os they run on

The Lte is more than the Veer I would have loved to strap on my wrist while running, it features a lot of sensors and has much more promising performances than the others smartwatches.
    However, without the commitment of big names in fitness and business Apps to develop something for an unique watch, on a brand new system, how far can the LTE go?

More than that it won't obviously be cheap, so who will take a chance at high prices levels to get a very good device with an App desert...
    If it launches in western countries, the developpers and sales figures will still be hectic by then for iOS if their Watch follows the tracks of the 6 phone.

Anyway I'm still thrilled by the LTE... It's a beautiful device, even the 3 counter look of the watch screen is way better than the rest. It won't be enough...
    Last edited by Wayenberg; 03/11/2015 at 06:01 AM.
    I would love to see it on video. for my base is webos ... I loved it
    The LG Watch Urbane LTE is the most complete smartwatch we've seen to date (hands-on) | VentureBeat | Gadgets | by Mark Sullivan
    good article. It mentions that the AT&T will be selling the Urbane in the US but LTE Korea only with US release later, if at all..
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast