Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
    They pulled the whole site after an hour of press coverage??

What's the big secret? Why publish the site at all if it's not an active project?
    I was concerned when the webOS designers left. But My enthusiasm for LG's adoption of webOS is at an all time low, not high, with this behavior.

@LG: stop being jerks. Don't tease us. Build us a phone watch!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    They pulled the whole site after an hour of press coverage??

What's the big secret? Why publish the site at all if it's not an active project?
    I was concerned when the webOS designers left. But My enthusiasm for LG's adoption of webOS is at an all time low, not high, with this behavior.

@LG: stop being jerks. Don't tease us. Build us a phone watch!
    they are still doing a lot better than HP ever did!
    LG is a far more efficient company. They've worked out that if you tease a product, but don't release it, that's much cheaper than releasing a product for a month, then shutting down the entire operation and selling everything off cheap.

If you think this is exciting, wait for the non-release of an LG Toaster running LG webOS smart cook. It won't send a reminder to your non-existent webOS watch when the bread runs out, but on the plus side, when the slice-based browser crashes and reloads, there's zero chance of a fire in your LG connected home that you won't own. You'll just wake up on that park bench, pull your newspaper blankets a bit tighter and say, "If only I'd had a webOS SmartWatch; I could have been somebody!"
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    A watch will continue an OS.

IMHO... The more things they use it and work with it on, the more alive it stays and the higher the eventual chance of getting it back onto phones and tablets.
    I was telling CreepingMee that just a few weeks ago, in reference to LG expanding webOS to all of their TVs. However, I'm not sure that a watch will do it. A watch is at best a 2nd or 3rd tier interest for most consumers.
    eblade likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansing2002 View Post
    Voice control ... ala D ick Tracy

>

Ha Ha ... Forum wouldn't let me post D I C K .

Now...if they did that and made the UI compatible with the TVs...now you are talking some futuristic stuff!

I know that it has been said before, but...LG should integrate "just speak." Even if they only did this with basic stuff (they have already started on the tech with the TV remotes), the onscreen UI would/could be a powerful combination!
    eblade and Rnp like this.
    smartwatches are a fad and waste of money. come on lg, put webos back on a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    It's an HP watch, so it will definitely be Android Wear. They've made it pretty clear they won't use webOS at this point.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    its stated in the article that it wont be Android Wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    its stated in the article that it wont be Android Wear.
    Oh crap, I knew that <headslap>. I read that article a couple of months ago over on Connectedly and forgot it was cross-platform. Thanks for pointing that out! I remember thinking: "HP writing their own software... yeah this can only be good".
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    smartwatches are a fad and waste of money. come on lg, put webos back on a smartphone.
    No, I'd say they are a rising trend and a new source of revenue as there's a lull in smart phone technology right now. There's no 5g or even better battery life coming around the corner any time soon, what else can they hype at the moment?

This is a great time to release a new hardware category that if impressive enough can establish itself as something to become a new standard. Like many, I haven't felt the need to wear a watch since getting a smart phone (the Pre) and i had previously worn one every day my whole life. A solid new product could reverse that for many people. Now is the perfect time to utilize the hype of smart watches to shove a new OS right under the upper class consumers' noses and onto their wrists. Then of course there's all those richies who wear $500 movado, Tag, and rolex just to have impressive bling on their arm. They will buy too if it's impressive enough.

If Lg was really thinking back when they acquired webOS, this smart watch idea would have been their top secret plan under the radar while the TV was gathering headlines. By now, they would be releasing something that, like the veer was intentionally designed, would be small and easily accessed, but pairs well with the phablets stashed in you bag/briefcase.

Hp/palm wanted people to move to a dual device lifestyle too soon. People still wanted all-in-one which is why 5-7" phones have been so popular for the last 2 years. But now the time for wearable device tied to 7-10" tablet could become the new standard.

This of course is a USA market perspective. I cannot speculate on other world markets being ready for dual device but they are probably equally ready for mobile communicator that's wearable. We've all been waiting for that since **** Tracy.

It's this perspective that makes me think Lg is really missing an opportunity to capitalize on the potential of webOS, and once again the OS, and its supporters, are neglected.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 10/06/2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: No one knows who Richard Tracy is!!!
    A modular Smart watch?

Blocks

Ha ha - it's in the strap!

More functions for people with chunky wrists...
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Yeah, I like the idea of putting webOS into the blocks watch. Anyone up for making an entirely new OS
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    So its really happening in 2016. They realize they need to own their own software ecosystem to make money.
    If they are 9 months to a year after the apple watch though (rumored to come out in March of this year), will they be playing catchup? The apple watch will need the phone and will supposedly not have a great battery. But the key will not be hardware, it will be the software interface and the apps.

LG Plans to Launch WebOS-powered Smartwatch by Early Next Year - WSJ
    LAS VEGAS—South Korea‘s LG Electronics Inc. will use the WebOS platform as an alternative to Google Inc. ’s Android operating system in a new smartwatch lineup to be launched early next year, a person familiar with the plans said.

“We’re going to slowly try to build an (software) ecosystem around areas we can have more control over,” the person said on the sidelines of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
    akitayo likes this.
    I love this I found in the comments of that thread. I've joked about doing this myself

Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I posted these a long-long time ago As you can see, Palm Pre and Veer devices were being used as wearables for a quite a while

MAMISHO likes this.
    If they come out with a webOS smartwatch, I'll wait until the 2nd generation just in case they update the software to 2.0 and decide to not make the software backwards-compatible with 1st generation devices... like their TV's.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If they come out with a webOS smartwatch, I'll wait until the 2nd generation just in case they update the software to 2.0 and decide to not make the software backwards-compatible with 1st generation devices... like their TV's.

Liking the above is not enough. <simply> BRILLIANT!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/07/2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: thanks - but I had to edit out the language ;)
    well, it was still Brilliant, just not as effusive!
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    Rnp likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast