Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    Still your beating heart - it's NOT the news you've been hoping for!

Yes, you've seen threads like this before, but it's Halloween! Let's try a little resurrection! And improvement!

While we wait for Open webOS to hit the Gnex, why not think about the next step? A future webOS phone.

With Fairphone, phonebloks & this, there seems to be a movement towards open mobile hardware. It might soon be possible for a user to specify a decent phone that actually works and isn't held together with tape.

So, starting with the specs of the Pre3, let's upgrade!

Guidelines:
    1. The specified item has to exist already in the marketplace. (in other words, be real)
    2. Multiple specs must be mutually compatible.
    3. Before asking for 'Everything' you might want to consider size, battery capacity & life. Try to be realistic.

Argue your case and I'll update the spec below with the most supported specs. we could even add a 'b' phone - the Pixi or Veer (Peer?) of the future.

You never know, we may one day be able to assemble it for ourselves or pick the Android model that's the nearest fit and suggest it as port target #2...

Have a nice Halloween dream, not a nightmare!
    ananimus likes this.
  2.    #2  
    (original Pre 3 spec from wikipedia - included in brackets)

Codename: Pre 4
    Compatible networks Quad band GSM networks: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    Tri band 3G UMTS networks: 900/1900/2100MHz
    Type Touchscreen smartphone
    Form factor Portrait Slider
    Dimensions 111 mm (4.4 in) (h)
    64 mm (2.5 in) (w)
    16 mm (0.63 in) (d)
    Weight 155 g (5.5 oz)
    Operating system Open webOS Port
    CPU Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 8974 2.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (1.4 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8x55)
    GPU Adreno 330 GPU (Adreno 205)
    Memory 2048MB DDR3 RAM (512MB RAM)
    Storage 32GB or 64GB internal storage (8GB or 16GB)
    Data inputs Touchscreen, keyboard, and slimmer (1/8") gesture area with LEDs.
    Display 3.58-inch multitouch screen with a 32-bit color, 1080p with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 (3.58-inch multitouch screen with a 24-bit color, 480x800 resolution WVGA display)
    Rear camera 12-megapixel auto-focus camera with LED flash, HD (up to 1080p) video recording (5-mpix af, LED flash, HD720p video recording)
    Front camera 5-megapixel (VGA)
    Sound Sound Dual (beats) speakerphone; tri-mic noise cancellation one for voice rendering - Voice Dial (Mono speakerphone; dual-mic noise cancellation)
    Connectivity 802.11 ac, LTE 4G (+ 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, HSPA+, EvDo Rev. A)
    Micro USB 3.0 connector for data & charging connection, Micro HDMI.
    World Phone allowing multi SIM cards, so you can have a home SIM and a out of country SIM (for roaming).
    Removable battery 2000 mAH / enough for 10hrs, plus a bigger battery option for 18hrs...
    Physical keyboard and virtual keyboard (when slider open, virtual disappears)...
    Of course wireless charging Tap-2-Share, NFC, etc...
    Removeable trim at slider joint to enable protective case fitting & colour changing.

Accessories:
    QI standard magnetic Touchstone charger.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/01/2013 at 05:15 PM.
    boovish and alonhzn like this.
    CPU 2.0 GHz quad core
    Memory 2048MB RAM
    Storage 32GB or 64GB internal storage
    Display 3.58-inch multitouch screen with a 32-bit color, 1080p
    Rear camera 12-megapixel auto-focus camera with LED flash, HD (up to 1080p) video recording
    Front camera 5-megapixel
    Sound Dual (beats) speakerphone; tri-mic noise cancellation one for voice rendering (Voice Dial)
    Connectivity 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4, HSPA+, EvDo Rev. A LTE 4G
    World Phone allowing multi SIM cards, so you can have a home SIM and a out of country SIM (for roaming).
    Removable battery (enough for 10hrs), plus a bigger battery option for 18hrs... Did not calc amp hours because I want 10hours...
    Physical keyboard and virtual keyboard (when slider open, virtual disappears)...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 10/31/2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    YES! Mention!
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Preemptive likes this.
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    CPU 2.0 GHz
    Memory 2048MB RAM
    Storage 32GB or 64GB internal storage
    Display 3.58-inch multitouch screen with a 32-bit color, 1080p
    Rear camera 12-megapixel auto-focus camera with LED flash, HD (up to 1080p) video recording
    Front camera 5-megapixel
    Sound Dual (beats) speakerphone; tri-mic noise cancellation one for voice rendering (Voice Dial)
    Connectivity 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, HSPA+, EvDo Rev. A LTE 4G
    Removable battery (enough for 10hrs), plus a bigger battery option for 18hrs...
    First poster goes straight in!

But, questions....

How many cores do we need in that 2Ghz chip?
    What's the battery capacity?

The Nexus 5 has magnets to orient the charger now (yes...), but I assume it's Qi standard, so are we taking that?
    Touch to share is now NFC. Is it the same or via bluetooth?
    GPU?
    SD card?

Fairphone supports twin SIM cards.

P.S. Here's another mention for Boovish - have a good evening! ;-)
    imho, the Pre3 chassis was just about right, maybe another quarter inch bigger LxW MAX. but honestly after going back to the Pre2, i relearned why i love the small size of the phone, particularly sliding it open/closed and navigating the screen with one thumb. Pre3 required more attention to reach the far edges without 'mis-tapping' something. Many more wrong taps with a Pre3. So I'd prefer to get the screen closer to the edges of the existing glass, rather than make the glass bigger. does that make sense?

really it only needs hardware updated to current tech: 4G, better camera, BT and USB standards, and screen res.

10 hrs batt life would be great, but i have no problem carrying a spare battery either. it's the slow boot up time that makes swapping a pain.

i would also make the back cover, and the top edge of the upper oreo, a more impact absorbing material and shape. a slider does not wear a case very well. the two-piece i have already wore out and won't stay fitted. the phone needs a rounded rubber lip to allow laying face-down w/o touching the glass. this rubber edge could even be a removable ring which presses into a channel, allowing changes to other colors or just renewing. rubberized back covers to match would be nice accessory options.

back gesture, and 'advanced' swipe between cards is mandatory. but how big does a gesture area need to be? not a half inch of black glass. maybe instead only 1/8" high with an LED strip under the surface to confirm the action.

but for a webOS 3.5x (or whatever) it would be awesome if android apps could run inside of a webOS card. then there'd be no need to develop a new cat of apps. just make webOS able to use existing android apps. what's preventing that?? its all based in linux or unix or watever isn't it?

there really doesn't need to be much else. the design was a good one, it just needed to be made with higher quality materials, to keep doing what it does, only better: eliminate the known bugs, catch up with today's technology, and minimize accidental damage.

ok enough daydreaming.
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    imho, the Pre3 chassis was just about right, maybe another quarter inch bigger LxW MAX. but honestly after going back to the Pre2, i relearned why i love the small size of the phone, particularly sliding it open/closed and navigating the screen with one thumb. Pre3 required more attention to reach the far edges without 'mis-tapping' something. Many more wrong taps with a Pre3. So I'd prefer to get the screen closer to the edges of the existing glass, rather than make the glass bigger. does that make sense?

really it only needs hardware updated to current tech: 4G, better camera, BT and USB standards, and screen res.

10 hrs batt life would be great, but i have no problem carrying a spare battery either. it's the slow boot up time that makes swapping a pain.

i would also make the back cover, and the top edge of the upper oreo, a more impact absorbing material and shape. a slider does not wear a case very well. the two-piece i have already wore out and won't stay fitted. the phone needs a rounded rubber lip to allow laying face-down w/o touching the glass. this rubber edge could even be a removable ring which presses into a channel, allowing changes to other colors or just renewing. rubberized back covers to match would be nice accessory options.

back gesture, and 'advanced' swipe between cards is mandatory. but how big does a gesture area need to be? not a half inch of black glass. maybe instead only 1/8" high with an LED strip under the surface to confirm the action.
    (...)
    there really doesn't need to be much else. the design was a good one, it just needed to be made with higher quality materials, to keep doing what it does, only better: eliminate the known bugs, catch up with today's technology, and minimize accidental damage.

ok enough daydreaming.
    Obviously, hardware and software combine in a good design, but this is a hardware thread.

So, slim gesture area with LEDs - why am I thinking Cylons and KITT? ;-)

Is Bluetooth 4.0 a hardware or firmware upgrade? USB 3.0

I think there was someone making coloured inserts for Pre3's here for a while. Shall we say removeable trim to enable the fitting of protective casings?

So far it's an upgraded Pre3. Any radical changes, different form factors?

but for a webOS 3.5x (or whatever) it would be awesome if android apps could run inside of a webOS card. then there'd be no need to develop a new cat of apps. just make webOS able to use existing android apps. what's preventing that?? its all based in linux or unix or watever isn't it?

ok enough daydreaming.
    If Android Apps are able to run in cards I will do this:

I will do it because most android apps are crap, and we don't want that on our devices. Encourage developers to make good looking apps meant for webOS, and then make them go through a screening process
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So far it's an upgraded Pre3.
    exactly. they hit the bull's eye then threw the board and darts in the garbage. argh.

i occasionally think about the impact of a Pre4 in today's phone market. strictly hardware speaking of course.

EVERY STINKIN' SMARTPHONE TODAY appears to be the same rectangle, getting longer, wider, and thinner; making it less comfortable to hold, easier to drop, and remarkably boring. sure, tablets 5-7" should follow this form factor. a nice piece of glass with maximum screen surface.

but phones need to be quick texters, have long durations pressed to your ear, and must fit in your pocket discreetly if you don't carry a purse/bag daily. plus be able to handle accidental dropping.

a "super Pre3" made with more durable materials, and maybe some color customiz-ability, would be the ONLY unique phone out there, short of the antiquated b-berry/pixi style candy bar with exposed keyboard and half-sized screen. But that form is ZZZ. The river rock oval shape i think could be a real winner. but i'm also an individualist, and i think most people today prefer to be on the biggest bandwagon. *sigh*

i've said this before:
  10.    #11  
    ;-)

Oh yes, materials!

Fairphone are talking about their RECYCLED polycarbonate (yes, it does resemble a cheap iphone knock-off)

Lumia = polycarbonate
    Iphone = still aluminium? Oh, the 'c''s are plastic now.

Perhaps it should be carved from ACTUAL HOLLOWED OUT RIVER PEBBLES!?!?

So no slabs, landscape sliders?

Any thoughts on a 'B'phone?
    ;-)

Oh yes, materials!

Fairphone are talking about their RECYCLED polycarbonate (yes, it does resemble a cheap iphone knock-off)

Lumia = polycarbonate

I like the pebbles idea, but I think they might be a little weakened because of the hollowing out and the slider. And whats with the "Still Aluminum" its way stronger than the recycled plastic. Maybe liquid metal? I hear that its incredibly string. Maybe that plastic lg is starting to use that heals itself
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I will do it because most android apps are crap, and we don't want that on our devices. Encourage developers to make good looking apps meant for webOS, and then make them go through a screening process
    oh c'mon now.

of course developers could make apps for webOS once enough people were carrying them again.

but to get people to carry them again, you'd have to offer something pretty amazing. Thus is the problem with a "two-party mentality". Much like our dysfunctional election system, no one wants to "waste a vote" for a 3rd party candidate that doesn't have the huge support (AKA app catalog) like the two big parties.

so if a new piece of hardware came out that offered the awesome user experience of webOS, the uniquely attractive, comfortable, and durable design of a well-built portrait slider, AND also allowed instant use of the apps they already KNOW, well that phone MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE at making an impression and taking some market share back from the 'rectangles'.

introducing new hardware is NOT easy. look at how these windows phones are just tanking. no one cares! because there's no appeal. it's just another rectangle.

(kind of reminds me how did volkswagen sell round cars in a '70s rectangle sedan world?)

oh and also, most android apps are just fine. they're going to be made by the same developers anyway. So it's not the apps, it's the OS that's got shortcomings; multi-tasking my ****.

the purpose would be to eliminate the "what about the small app cat?" excuse i've heard ad nauseum and contributed to webOS' early decline of sales. But it's not about the apps, it's about the reasons to endorse and buy a new device vs. criticize and watch it fail prematurely.

of course you don't have to install them if you dont want to. BUT if the phone could run android apps, that excuse would be no more. How "smart and versatile" would that phone be considered, if it could make use of existing 3rd party apps?
    oh c'mon now.

of course developers could make apps for webOS once enough people were carrying them again.

but to get people to carry them again, you'd have to offer something pretty amazing. Thus is the problem with a "two-party mentality". Much like our dysfunctional election system, no one wants to "waste a vote" for a 3rd party candidate that doesn't have the huge support (AKA app catalog) like the two big parties.

so if a new piece of hardware came out that offered the awesome user experience of webOS, the uniquely attractive, comfortable, and durable design of a well-built portrait slider, AND also allowed instant use of the apps they already KNOW, well that phone MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE at making an impression and taking some market share back from the 'rectangles'.

introducing new hardware is NOT easy. look at how these windows phones are just tanking. no one cares! because there's no appeal. it's just another rectangle.

(kind of reminds me how did volkswagen sell round cars in a '70s rectangle sedan world?)

oh and also, most android apps are just fine. they're going to be made by the same developers anyway. So it's not the apps, it's the OS that's got shortcomings; multi-tasking my ****.

the purpose would be to eliminate the "what about the small app cat?" excuse i've heard ad nauseum and contributed to webOS' early decline of sales. But it's not about the apps, it's about the reasons to endorse and buy a new device vs. criticize and watch it fail prematurely.

of course you don't have to install them if you dont want to. BUT if the phone could run android apps, that excuse would be no more. How "smart and versatile" would that phone be considered, if it could make use of existing 3rd party apps?
    Well actually some Lumia's are doing well. Like the 925. Which in my opinion is the worst looking wp phone. Oh and we also need to be on more carriers than just Sprint at launch. Like Maybe first Sprint then Verizon And AT&T, and then maybe if I feel generous, T-Mobile. I say that because I hate T-Mobile starting all this Prepaid BS. And definitely more European support, Palm had a big problem with them.

We also need a charismatic person to introduce this. Maybe a british person. Average american girls eat that garbage up. Or hire the original T-Mobile Pink Dress girl and have her sell it. She was pretty. It should be sold as Smartphone Squared. But not literally squared. And a lovely rounded glass. People will learn to love having their phones face up. And a color changing gesture light. And maybe a dual sliding keyboard. That would be neat.
    Maybe fictional character endorsement. Like the Lutece twins and Elizabeth

;-)

Oh yes, materials!

Lumia = polycarbonate

recycled = marketing gimmick and hypocritical in an electronic device filled with tin and disposable batteries.

stone would be too brittle. but sure would be cool.

plastic is where it's at. the thing is, there's a lot of different plastics and some are better quality than others. sit in a Scion and sit in an Audi. both completely plastic inside, but wow what a difference in quality. Plastics have come a long way.

i've always avoided landscape sliders for the simple reason that using a Pre has taught me how to send an email with one hand. Along with switch between screen-tap web-browsing and alpha char. data entry w/o losing half my display to the on screen keybd.

all of you using Pre's...think right now, about HOW QUICKLY you can flip open the keyboard and enter some letters, without it changing your display at all. On my nexus7, when i go to type, this virtual keyboard opens and consumes over half the display in vertical, and almost all of it in horizontal. No. The only reason to turn a phone horizontal is to watch a video in widescreen.

A "B" phone? Personally I think the "B" phone is the Veer. That was a great "pairing" for a tablet/micro handset combo. The same awesomeness that makes a Pre a Pre, but in "fun-sized" for smaller hands, smaller pockets, etc.

I'd have released and marketed the phones opposite than HP did. I'd have released the Pre3 first, as the new flagship. Then the Veer and a 7" tablet as a combo. I'd then market them toward the sexes. The Pre3 toward men, who have to have it all in one device, that fits in their pants pocket. The Veer and tablet for women, who need a cute little phone to fit in a tiny purse at night, but during the day usually have a giant bag with them and can carry the tablet inside, which they'd do all their online shopping and etc. with.

Mobile electronics were at a weird time, and mfg's were all focused on IPad form factor, 10" tabs. We see now that the 10-11" screen size has been taken by netbooks. If you carry a screen that big, you probably want a full keybd.

This bad timing helped kill webOS. It's obvious now, but I saw it then, like a lot of passengers saw the berg as the Titanic hit it. But by then it's already too late.

The catch now is, who'd sail on a ship called Titanic 2? Remember there was nothing wrong with that ship, it was the best. Unfortunately it was apparently being operated by idiots. Could a webOS phone succeed even if it was the released and the best thing out there??
    Oh and we also need to be on more carriers than just Sprint at launch. Like Maybe first Sprint then Verizon And AT&T, and then maybe if I feel generous, T-Mobile. I say that because I hate T-Mobile starting all this Prepaid BS. And definitely more European support, Palm had a big problem with them.
    That is what ALSO primarily killed Palm. But that was due to Palm not having any clout in the market. They wanted to go with VZN at first, who at the last minute bailed. So they went to Sprint, then back to VZN, then finally to ATT.

Pre1 only on Sprint, Pre Plus and 2 on VZN, then Pre3 and Veer on ATT?? OMG! what a mess, and what a great way to ENSURE no customer loyalty because existing users couldn't upgrade without switching carriers! argh what a bunch of dumb imbeciles!

NO. one of the main reasons android took off was because phones were on all carriers. Sure the first HTC Dream wasn't so special, but then VZN dumped cash into heavily advertising the first MOTO Droid, and it got real traction. Then Google got behind it and it was all over. The early Galaxy S, HTC Evo's, and LG Optimus' became available in some form on every carrier, and that's why they took over.

It would have to be cross-carrier. There's no bonus for allegiance to a carrier. They are the vermin that dictate how horrible our mobile phone experience is. They need to be forced to compete more evenly, cutting them down to the mere service providers they are. Just think how humble T-Mobile would be if all phones had 1700 and 1900 band capability. Or if there were CDMA and GSM together. Truly take your phone anywhere. That would put power back in the users' hands.

One of the best things about my Pre, and of course it's thanks to the great people here, is that I could put a VZN Pre2 on Sprint; rather than be forced to switch to the more expensive carrier, or be forced to buy a new phone I don't even want. The intelligence of the design, that I could swap a comm board out (?!?) and do a little minor reprogramming, is one of the single greatest "wins" I have ever experienced. I pay for the service I want, using the phone I want, rather than them dictating such. Thank you webOS designers and developers. Ok sorry if i got off topic.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 10/31/2013 at 10:29 PM.
    That is what ALSO primarily killed Palm. But that was due to Palm not having any clout in the market. They wanted to go with VZN at first, who at the last minute bailed. So they went to Sprint, then back to VZN, then finally to ATT.

Pre1 only on Sprint, Pre Plus and 2 on VZN, then Pre3 and Veer on ATT?? OMG! what a mess, and what a great way to ENSURE no customer loyalty because existing users couldn't upgrade without switching carriers! argh what a bunch of dumb imbeciles!

NO. one of the main reasons android took off was because phones were on all carriers. Sure the first HTC Dream wasn't so special, but when VZN dumped cash into heavily advertising the first MOTO Droid, it got real traction. Then Google got behind it and it was all over. The early Galaxies, HTC's, and Samsung Optimus' were available in some form on every carrier, and that's why they took over.

It would have to be cross-carrier. There's no bonus for allegiance to a carrier. They are the vermin that dictate how horrible our mobile phone experience is. They need to be forced to compete more evenly, cutting them down to the mere service providers they are. Just think how humble T-Mobile would be if all phones had 1700 and 1900 band capability. Or if there were CDMA and GSM together. Truly take your phone anywhere. That would put power back in the users' hands.
    I remember the DROID I like most of the droids, except for most of the RAZR and the new ones. But the DROID DOES and VZW exclusivity definitely pushed it up. Verizon should just let up on the bands. The VZW iPhone 5S can work on AT&T but not the other way. I just hope carriers won't bail at the towering cards again. Basically to be able to sell this device we need HYPE HYPE HYPE! Like this ad for the Original DROID . We need something ominous, only not dark and frightening
    Last edited by boovish; 10/31/2013 at 10:31 PM.
    I remember the DROID I like most of the droids, except for most of the RAZR and the new ones. But the DROID DOES and VZW exclusivity definitely pushed it up. Verizon should just let up on the bands. The VZW iPhone 5S can work on AT&T but not the other way. I just hope carriers won't bail at the towering cards again. Basically to be able to sell this device we need HYPE HYPE HYPE! Like this ad for the Original DROID . We need something ominous, only not dark and frightening
    Yes. The success of the original MOTO droid SHOULD have been for webOS, if VZN had backed it as originally planned. I'm sure they had their reasons, as we all experienced the poor hardware performance of the original Pre1 releases. (i had 6 early turds myself and still stuck with it because of webOS) Android could have been limited a pre-paid phone OS at most if webOS got the support it deserved back then.

and the exclusivity thing worked back then. fortunately, we've evolved out of that. Android and Apple are on every carrier now. If you want to use an Iphone, you don't have to worry about which carrier anymore.

That's how it needs to be if a webOS phone were to enter the market. There can be no limit to ACCESS. The "exclusivity factor" comes from the device itself, flawless hardware and software integration, not from the carrier. This would be key to a webOS device succeeding.
    There can be no limit to ACCESS. The "exclusivity factor" comes from the device itself, flawless hardware and software integration, not from the carrier. This would be key to a webOS device succeeding.
    I agree, one of the biggest failures in the US market, is that Carriers are given too much input, Sprint/Verizon/AT&T did not go with webOS 2.x. Only SFR and O2 did, if it was not for those carriers we would not have had a build 284/285 for webOS 2.1.0 for the PrePlus...

The Pre/PrePlus would have been stuck on webOS 1.x, look even TeleCel stuck their users with webOS 1.4.0, while everyone else went to webOS 1.4.5, only Verizon went to webOS 1.4.5.1...

Talk about fragmentation, Apple got this right, iOS devices all can go to any level Apple releases, NO carrier testing needed... The next dream phone needs to be compatible with all Carriers, but also needs to leave the software stock, and upgradable to every device.
    RumoredNow and TJs11thPre like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast