Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Honestly though - 2.x on a non-over-clocked device, esp the Sprint Pre was terrible. It runs much better on the Pre Plus, but perhaps the carriers thought it wasn't good enough for the general public that wouldn't be overclocking to make it a pleasant experience. I think it would have cemented the opinion that webOS devices were too slow.
    I actually did this a couple weeks ago:

Pre4:
    4.0" 6401,136 pixels Display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 8974 2.3GHz Quad-Core Processor with Adreno 330 GPU
    2GB DDR3 Ram
    32GB On-Board Storage
    8MP/1080p Rear Camera and 2MP/1080p Front Camera
    Portrait-style slider keyboard
    2000 mAH removable battery
    microSDHC card slot (up to 32GB)
    HSPA+/LTE connectivity
    Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac), Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, Touch-to-Share, Micro HDMI, Micro-USB connectivity
    Touchstone2 and Qi inductive charging compatibility
    White and Black color options

I'm not really a fan of huge phones and I think 4" is about the limit of what I'd enjoy. I didn't attempt to come up with weight and dimensions since that would just be making up numbers on my part. I wouldn't mind a few extra mm of thickness for a bigger battery but I think 2000mAH is a good compromise between battery life and size.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 11/01/2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Honestly though - 2.x on a non-over-clocked device, esp the Sprint Pre was terrible. It runs much better on the Pre Plus, but perhaps the carriers thought it wasn't good enough for the general public that wouldn't be overclocking to make it a pleasant experience. I think it would have cemented the opinion that webOS devices were too slow.
    Thats because the Pre/Plus and Pixi/Plus were not meant to run it
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Thats because the Pre/Plus and Pixi/Plus were not meant to run it
    Well it might not run perfect, but it runs on the PrePlus, they could have upped the stock kernel from 500MHz to 600MHz with bursts up to 800MHz on the PrePlus, Now the Pre had 256MB of ram without the updated 512MB yes it ran slower...

But Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 all have an advantage they do not share their memory with the modem, Pixi/PixiPlus/Veer/Pre3 all have this limit...

So if you upped the MHz a little for the PrePlus it does make it better...

Now I have webOS 2.2.4 which was not designed for the PrePlus, running on the PrePlus, I am using my own mashed kernel (webOS 2.1.0 and webOS 2.2.4 parts), but it is not stable enough, I do have it running faster then the 500MHz stock...

And SFR and O2 thought the performance was ok so they released it on their phones, GLAD they did...

Once I hacked webOS 2.x on my phone, I have never looked back...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 11/01/2013 at 04:41 PM.
    I'm glad they did too, as it gave us what we needed for the meta doctors.
  6.    #26  
    Oh, so this is what happens when I go to sleep, go to work etc! ;-)

Remember this is the possible / future hardware thread!

Marketing, apps, THE PAST, all irrelevant!

The most likely future for now is Open webOS being ported to the Gnex. After that, what currently possible specifications would you want in a handset?

Though this thread is not about tablets (and I foolishly didn't leave space for one), I like the idea of a 'small' phone / tablet combination. I'm tempted to put Veer specs in post #3. I thought early advertising to women was a huge mistake (cutting out 50% of the population) as there are 'manbags', laptop & 'courier' type bags that enable men to carry a tablet or laptop that could partner with a small phone.

I'm going to add parts of cbosdell's spec. Any comments? As for Micro HDMI, this is not new and remember the 'close, but not quite' attempt to fund the Ubuntu phone that would be everything from phone to PC by plugging in keyboards and monitors etc. I'm not saying this is the way to go, but it's food for thought.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/01/2013 at 05:13 PM.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    I actually did this a couple weeks ago:
    Pre4:
    4.0" 6401,136 pixels Display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    Isn't this an odd size?
    Also, 12-mpx / 5-mpix cameras vs 8mpx / 2mpx. Is more mpx always better or is it overkill?
    microSDHC card slot (up to 32GB)
    I'm interested in opinions on a good ratio between internal and removable storage sizes
    White and Black color options
    Not a fan of colour?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/01/2013 at 05:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    ;-)

Oh yes, materials!

Perhaps it should be carved from ACTUAL HOLLOWED OUT RIVER PEBBLES!?!?

Any thoughts on a 'B'phone?
    Now thats great idea :-)
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    exactly. they hit the bull's eye then threw the board and darts in the garbage. argh.

i occasionally think about the impact of a Pre4 in today's phone market. strictly hardware speaking of course.

EVERY STINKIN' SMARTPHONE TODAY appears to be the same rectangle, getting longer, wider, and thinner; making it less comfortable to hold, easier to drop, and remarkably boring. sure, tablets 5-7" should follow this form factor. a nice piece of glass with maximum screen surface.

but phones need to be quick texters, have long durations pressed to your ear, and must fit in your pocket discreetly if you don't carry a purse/bag daily. plus be able to handle accidental dropping.

a "super Pre3" made with more durable materials, and maybe some color customiz-ability, would be the ONLY unique phone out there, short of the antiquated b-berry/pixi style candy bar with exposed keyboard and half-sized screen. But that form is ZZZ. The river rock oval shape i think could be a real winner. but i'm also an individualist, and i think most people today prefer to be on the biggest bandwagon. *sigh*

i've said this before:
    Click to view quoted image
    I totally agree. As a phone, the Pre series is so much more comfortable and practical as a phone, than all these slabs. As a tablet, slabs make perfect sense, but phones really do have different criteria by their primary usage model. That's where Palm really had the right idea. Unfortunately, the commodity makers latched on to the simplistic idea of a big square screen, because its cool for marketing shots showing all the "stuff" you can display oon the screen. But usability doesnt as easily convey in a "glamor shot", so it doesent sell as easily.
    But having used a palm(HP) Pre, makes it hard to get comfortable with a big brick. I certainly like a larger screen these days , as I have to admit reluctantly that my eyesight is not quite as accute as when I got my first Pre.
    But I still want a phone that lets me do smartphone things and still be brilliantly comfortable ergonomically. I don't discount that some users certainly find a slab more practical for their usage purpose. But inherently, if you design a phone, then phone ergonomics shouldn't need to be secondary to the "tablet" functions that they can also enable.
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Isn't this an odd size?
    Also, 12-mpx / 5-mpix cameras vs 8mpx / 2mpx. Is more mpx always better or is it overkill?

I'm interested in opinions on a good ratio between internal and removable storage sizes

Not a fan of colour?
    It's the same resolution as the iPhone 5 (like the Pre/Pre2 was the same as the iPhone 3GS).

I personally think anything megapixel wise over 8MP is negligible and there are other ways to increase camera quality but I'm not expert so it's just my opinion.

I wouldn't mind some color options I suppose I just don't find it a widespread thing yet. I'd probably go for a White Pre4 even if there were five other color options to choose from.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    It's the same resolution as the iPhone 5 (like the Pre/Pre2 was the same as the iPhone 3GS).

I personally think anything megapixel wise over 8MP is negligible and there are other ways to increase camera quality but I'm not expert so it's just my opinion.

I wouldn't mind some color options I suppose I just don't find it a widespread thing yet. I'd probably go for a White Pre4 even if there were five other color options to choose from.
    I think you can improve the quality with a bigger aperture. It will let in more light
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    ananimus likes this.
    Haven't caught up on this whole thread yet, but my changes:

Pre 3 form factor. No thicker, but maybe okay *slightly* longer/wider if needed.

Think the 480x800 screen at 3.6" is a sweet spot given that it has a keyboard. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $is$ $still$ $the$ $highest$ $res$ $screen$ $available$ $at$ $3$.$6$&$quot$; $except$ $maybe$ $the$ $Nokia$ $E6$.

To improve, upgrade screen to the transflective type that the rest of the Pre series had. Older Pres were noticeably better in daylight.

1.2 GHz dual core processor. Bump RAM to 1 GB.

Whatever minor tweaks to improve the camera sensor quality. So long as it stays AF with flash, it's already usable enough.

BIGGER BATTERY. Seriously. 1500 mAh minimum, more preferred. The whole Pre series has always been 20% under what it should be, imho. I know they were going for small and leveraging the TouchStone, but still. I've been considering a Nokia Asha device just to relive the world of 4-day battery!

Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied, hardware wise. And the only software bump would be an upgraded WebKit core for the slightly glitchy browser. Maybe some improvements to the camera app.

I think all of these would have been practically feasible, just challenging enough, and noticeable improvements to be the Pre 4.
    Last edited by ananimus; 11/02/2013 at 04:29 PM.
    IMHO all these dreaming of topline hardware is nice, but too expensive for most people.

I personally think that, in order to conquer a huge chunk of the market, you have to give people a reasonable budget phone, which might not be top of the line hardware, but still good enough to provide a nice WebOS experience.

If you build a budget phone with, say, the specs of a GS3 or a 'one before the latest' Nexus phone, put webOS on it and price it reasonably (say 150,- € SIM-lock free) you might have a chance for some pervasiveness.
    Always under the pretext of having the necessary app-infrastructure on the start (speaking of an appstore that is no desert).

EDIT: BTW that was once my hope for a revival of WebOS phones by LG. I seriously hoped they would consider a "budget line" with WebOS as an option to skim those parts of the smartphonemarket, that can't afford the "newst, shiniest" Android oder iOS Phone for 600-800 € ...
    I don't hope for it anymore
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Nokia & MS indeed seem to have quite some success using that strategy with the Lumia 520 series it seems. Could work for webOS too if software is optimized properly.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/07/2013 at 10:03 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Ideally I would like to see a range to suit every pocket but at very least including:

Portrait slider
    Slab version

Both should have curved edges and be no thicker than the Pre3.
    Screen size should be a little bigger than the Pre3 but not much, there is scope for a larger screen by reducing the bezel. Ideally I would like it to be no more than 5mm wider and 10-20mm taller. The slab version should be skinnier and both should have a battery that can last all day (18 hours+) of moderate use.

Couldn't care less about megapixels on the camera but it should cope with low light and 1080p video.

Personally I feel that ACL should probably be included as standard. We don't have a thriving enough app market to entice new users so I think some pragmatism is needed to give any Pre4 a chance of widespread support.
    An aluminum bodied, landscape slider with a 5 row QWERTY physical keyboard. (Ala: the Nokia E7-00.) Hard anodized in multiple color choices - or natural look (brushed aluminum). Stereo speakers; one above, one below the screen and sharing that part of the slider. The screen and speakers tilt up at an angle of 8* when opened for a comfortable viewing angle while using the keyboard.

2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
    4G Network: LTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 & LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

Carrier Unlocked
    SIM: Micro SIM

Dimensions: 127 x 63.5 x 15.3 mm \\ 5.00 x 2.50 x 0.60 inches
    Weight: 180 grams \\ 6.35 ounces

AMOLED capactive, multi-touch screen
    1136 x 640 pixels \\ 4.0 inch \\ 16:9 aspect ratio \\ 326 ppi
    Dragontail Glass

Dolby Digital Stereo with virtual surround sound support for stereo speakers and headphones

32GB internal storage and a micro SD slot, 64GB capable
    2GB RAM

GPRS: Class B
    EDGE: Up to 236.8 kbps
    3G \\ H+: HSDPA, 42.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps
    LTE: Cat3, 50 Mbps UL, 100 Mbps DL
    Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
    Bluetooth: v3.0 with A2DP
    NFC: Type II, NXP - NTAG
    Infrared Port: with Ir Blaster
    USB: microUSB 2.0, USB On-the-go
    FM Radio

Rear Camera: 8 MP, 3264 x 2448 pixels, optical image stabilization, autofocus, dual-LED flash, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection \\ Video @ 1080p@30fps, video stabilization
    Front Camera: 1.3 MP, 720p@30fps

OS: OwOS - OTA updates via WebOS Internals servers or downloadable Doctor files from Internals
    Chipset: Qualcomm APQ8064 Snapdragon
    CPU: Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait
    GPU: Adreno 320
    Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer

2300 mAh battery
    Qi wireless charging

Can I get it in time for Christmas???

Last edited by RumoredNow; 11/07/2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    You forgot LTE 1900 & 2500. Sprint ya know.

Just say no to AMOLED! They're awful!
    ananimus likes this.
    You forgot LTE 1900 & 2500. Sprint ya know.

Just say no to AMOLED! They're awful!
    CDMA is a difficulty other people need to worry about.

AMOLED lets you do some neat screen tricks - like having an Exhibition Mode when the phone sleeps. Use that instead of a lock screen and you could push the notifications out to Exhibition.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    CDMA is a difficulty other people need to worry about.

AMOLED lets you do some neat screen tricks - like having an Exhibition Mode when the phone sleeps. Use that instead of a lock screen and you could push the notifications out to Exhibition.
    I didn't even notice you left CDMA off too - shame on you

As for exhibition, the LCD screens on current webOS devices work for exhibition just fine - what specifically do you mean? Having exhibition even when not charging because of the power savings of black on AMOLED? The extra data and CPU usage would probably negate that savings and then some.
    I didn't even notice you left CDMA off too - shame on you

As for exhibition, the LCD screens on current webOS devices work for exhibition just fine - what specifically do you mean? Having exhibition even when not charging because of the power savings of black on AMOLED? The extra data and CPU usage would probably negate that savings and then some.
    Friends don't let friends CDMA...

Nokia has been using AMOLED combined with Glance for quite some time (as far back as MeeGo) to very good result. On my Lumia 925 I have Glance enabled with background pics. They switch the pixels that are in use to help prevent screen burn in, there is a night mode where the display is just time in a low emitting color on a black field. You can set Glance to work never, always, with added night mode or at a hand gesture (Peek).

I'm not seeing battery drain from Glance. I usually have my phone in a pocket, or face down, which turns Glance off. Then when I pull the phone out or flip it over I get my info.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast