Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just had some time and thought about the posibillity of a new Open webOS-Smartphone.

I love webOS and had already started creating a concept of such a Smartphone, when I realized (mainly because of the other threads that decuss this topic) how hard it would be to make something possible and maybe it isn't even.
    If it just would be easier to get microelectronics and build a very own smartphone like a PC with its components...

But I want to share my ideas with you

the back and the sides
    • the shape of webOS smartphones is very natural, so the front is very round and the back has to be round like a stone. This is more comfortable than i.e an iphone 5 in the hand.
    • the volume keys need a seperation line to feel if you are pressing up or down
    • the flash, camera and microphone are centered
    • no speaker on the back (since it makes horrible sound when my Pre3 is laying on the desk)

the top and the bottom
    • you have to imagine the mute-toggle on the top.
    • Micro-USB-port at the bottom, since you hold it from the sides and the port is very bad positioned at current webOS devices
    • 3.5 headphone jack at the bottom, too. (because its more comfortable and you dont have the cables at different sides of the phone, if you plug in both)
    • also there is the Microphone AND a speaker at the bottom

front
    • possibly the display-panel is not visible while inactive.
    • the screen goes all the way to the bottom to place the virtual gesture area there.

virtual keyboard concept
    • if possible the gesture area has to change place with the virtual keyboard, so it goes on top of it (where it is on every webOS-phone - on top of the keyboard)
    • then there could be a piece of transparent foil with keys on it that you can lay on the display and push it down in the bevel to get a hardware keyboard. (since the keyboard is black and just the letters are white, you can have every language you like on the hardware-keyboard. And if you don't want/like it you can put it away and use the virtual behind it. (there would be a contact in the frame to tell the OS that the HW-keyboard is connected so the keyboard stays open and gesture area stays on top

Sooo, that are my ideas and my concept and I would really appreciate your feedback
  2.    #2  
    ahh I've forgotten one picture
    here is a GIF of it in 3D

pre3 of the gods.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    4" screen

Make it thicker so that it can hold a better camera and larger battery (and be more comfortable to hold--I don't like thin phones).

I still want a slider and physical keyboard, but I guess that the market has pretty much quashed that.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    ananimus likes this.
    Looks like a Pixi with a virtual keyboard instead of physical.

Thanks for the effort , though i personally disagree with the idea of using an AMOLED screen, and this particular design is going to be very prone to screen breakage. To each their own
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by virox View Post
    I just had some time and thought about the posibillity of a new Open webOS-Smartphone.

I love webOS and had already started creating a concept of such a Smartphone, when I realized (mainly because of the other threads that decuss this topic) how hard it would be to make something possible and maybe it isn't even.
    If it just would be easier to get microelectronics and build a very own smartphone like a PC with its components...

the back and the sides
    • the shape of webOS smartphones is very natural, so the front is very round and the back has to be round like a stone. This is more comfortable than i.e an iphone 5 in the hand.
    • no speaker on the back (since it makes horrible sound when my Pre3 is laying on the desk)

Click to view quoted image

the top and the bottom
    • Micro-USB-port at the bottom, since you hold it from the sides and the port is very bad positioned at current webOS devices
    • 3.5 headphone jack at the bottom, too. (because its more comfortable and you dont have the cables at different sides of the phone, if you plug in both)

front
    • the screen goes all the way to the bottom to place the virtual gesture area there.

virtual keyboard concept
    • if possible the gesture area has to change place with the virtual keyboard, so it goes on top of it (where it is on every webOS-phone - on top of the keyboard)
    • then there could be a piece of transparent foil with keys on it that you can lay on the display and push it down in the bevel to get a hardware keyboard. (since the keyboard is black and just the letters are white, you can have every language you like on the hardware-keyboard. And if you don't want/like it you can put it away and use the virtual behind it. (there would be a contact in the frame to tell the OS that the HW-keyboard is connected so the keyboard stays open and gesture area stays on top

Sooo, that are my ideas and my concept and I would really appreciate your feedback

Dude, this is beautiful!!! I would buy it straight away, seriously! The hardware keyboard overlay would probably be a nice accessory, but i dont need it and probably wont use it.
    Great job!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Schneeweisschen likes this.
    I like the slab but it needs a wider screen, I don't like that it's so small in portrait mode while having a long screen in the lenght. That works fine for a brick but not for a pebble design.

the back and the sides

the top and the bottom

front

virtual keyboard concept

I'd prefer having a separate non moving gesture area and a physical slider. but I do like the design, but maybe do something about the rectangle on the back. Wait! I just remembered that there is a Touch Screen Called Tactus which basically makes the touchscreen a physical keyboard, but I still would prefer a stationary gesture area. Because Just like in Android, what is the screen freezes? You can't use it. And one last thing, don't use an OLED/AMOLED display because if you keep it on one thing for too long, you will get screen burn, and nobody wants that. Just some constructive criticism
    Last edited by boovish; 08/12/2013 at 08:01 AM.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Nice! A Swype option for the keyboard please! I like Swype better than a physical keyboard.
    Sigh.....Okay, back to work....

the back and the sides

the top and the bottom

front

virtual keyboard concept

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Pretty cool but this is what LG is actually building:

LG attempts to evoke the '70s with retro-styled LCD TV | The Verge
    Last edited by heymaggie; 08/13/2013 at 12:40 AM.
    Take my money !
    very nice work with the virtuals. i love to see people's creativity come out of their heads and into a form we can share.

programs like Photoshop really have allowed a lot of things to be visualized and discussed, which may never actually exist......sure beats a sketch on a "bev-nap"! ha!

my suggestion to anyone working to design a "future webOS phone" is to maintain the primary design features of the original phone that won our hearts: gestures, river rock shape, and - portrait slider form.

here's what i'm alluding to:

i just read a thread over at crackberry with a discussion including someone's very detailed and impressive drawings of his future handset design ideas.

He created one in portrait slider form, which was apparently convincing enough to evoke a "rumor has it" article elsewhere on Crackberry, citing his sketch as a possible concept design. (The comments declaring 'fake' are what led me to the original thread.)

see it here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...5/#post8632120

ANYWAY, it's a really really nice design for a portrait slider, which is one of the defining features of the Palm Pre legacy that I still find crucial to an efficient smartphone user experience.

Because i've used my TP, and now have tried a Nexus 7 enough to realize i can type much faster and with fewer errors on my little Pre keypad - with ONE thumb, vs. either on-screen keypad and two hands.

why OSK's don't have a calibration function (like PalmOS digitizers had) is a mystery to me.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    a PHYSICAL keyboard is needed

I just switched to an Android device (due to needs of a Dual-SIM phone).

Let me tell HOW MUCH I miss the physical keyboard.

With my Pre 3, I opened the keyboard (Unlocks the device and is ready to take inputs).
    Then I use(d) just type -> and within a few keystrokes, I usually am, where I needed to go.
    (Like eg have the phone ringing the person I wanted.)

With pure touchscreen (no physical keyboard), I takes
    - the unlock gesture
    - opening the required app (eg phone app)
    - a next touch to open the contacts
    - then another touch in the input box to open the virtual keyboard
    - the type in the name (but does not work as elegantly as with webOS)
    - finally I have the contact in front to select the number to be dialed

So much more work to just initiate a phone call.

The same for many other tasks.

Bring back a beefed up Pre3 with physical keyboard, 4.3" HD screen (preferable superAMOLED), dual/quad core CPU (eg snapdragon 400 or 800) , enough RAM (like 2GB) and 32-64 GB internal storage.
    Removable High Capacity Battery (eg 3000 mAh) 8-12MP camera, WLAN, BT 4.0, IR, (A)GPS, ev. NFC, etc.

...and make it able to run Android apps, so the apps problem is solved.
    Later the ENYO Framework will eventually provide some optimized native webOS apps to run even better.
    Last edited by rgloor; 08/14/2013 at 10:54 AM.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    a PHYSICAL keyboard is needed
    With my Pre 3, I opened the keyboard (Unlocks the device and is ready to take inputs).
    Then I use(d) just type -> and within a few keystrokes, I usually am, where I needed to go.
    (Like eg have the phone ringing the person I wanted.)

With pure touchscreen (no physical keyboard), I takes..........
    So this. If *only* for the convenience of Just Type, I still want a physical keyboard.

I think it was on the Q10 or Q5 review at CrackBerry they were commenting on how incredibly helpful the equivalent feature on BB10 is. There is, at minimum, one extra action required by the contenders out there. And usually two due to the screen unlock needed for slabs. Eliminating those couple extra motions every time you turn on the device makes a big difference.

Honestly I Just Type to launch almost everything. And you're right, the fact that physically popping the keyboard up wakes the device makes that process even smoother. (Out of habit I usually use the slider to wake it even when not typing something!)

All that said, those are some awesome drawings. And the idea of some sort of physical overlay thing is pretty clever. An enterprising person could make such a thing for existing popular slab devices along with an app that keeps the virtual keyboard under it...
    Remy X likes this.
    I frickin' love that keyboard overlay idea
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    @rgloor,

Did the dual-SIM adapter not work for you? I know people have used it on the Pre2 with no problem...
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @rgloor,

Did the dual-SIM adapter not work for you? I know people have used it on the Pre2 with no problem...
    Hi Remy X

Didn't know about a Dual-SIM adapter for the Pre 3.
    Might have to look around.
    That might be a solution! :-)

(Just wished, they would still do some work on the webOS v2.2.x like some bug fixing (eg WLAN stability) and slightly extending contacts (groups) and of course add CalDAV and CardDAV Synergy connectors.)

That would be an awesome device. Still love it.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Hi Remy X

Didn't know about a Dual-SIM adapter for the Pre 3.
    Might have to look around.
    That might be a solution! :-)

(Just wished, they would still do some work on the webOS v2.2.x like some bug fixing (eg WLAN stability) and slightly extending contacts (groups) and of course add CalDAV and CardDAV Synergy connectors.)

That would be an awesome device. Still love it.
    Not sure about the Pre3, but on the Pre2 dual-SIM definitely works. I don't know if that's decided by the OS or the modem firmware, or both, but if it will work for you, please let us know!

BTW, thanks for the "missing feature" report... i sort of collect those and bug reports, even though i can't possibly fix all of them myself
    Very nice design. I'd buy it.
    Although a Pixi 2 would just be good enough for me.
    Encouraging growth from LG now though.. which is more than can be said for may others (who shall remain nameless).. maybe LG should build this phone designed by US & running OPEN WebOS + Android Super-ACL?

"..LG Electronics and Lenovo were the two big winners during second the quarter. LG held on to third place as its unit sales grew from 5.8 million to 11.5 million year-on-year, resulting in a 5.1 percent market share. Thanks to the expanding Chinese market, Lenovo's smartphone unit sales grew by 144 percent year-on-year to 10.7 million, a 4.7 percent share, and the fourth spot worldwide. China represents more than 95 percent of Lenovo's sales.."

Smartphones (finally!) outsold feature phones last quarter | PCWorld

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast