Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Not sure about the Pre3, but on the Pre2 dual-SIM definitely works. I don't know if that's decided by the OS or the modem firmware, or both, but if it will work for you, please let us know!
    Hi Remy X:
    I did some web researched regarding Dual-SIM adapters. (Specifically for webOS.) However, when I understood those informations correctly, those adapters do not provide real Dual-SIM functionality but something like software switchable SIMs. With the adapter, one can "install" (squeeze) 2 SIM cards in a phone. But can still only utilize one SIM at a time.

What I need however, is real full dual-SIM functionality, with both SIMs active, hence running simultaneously.
    Eg browsing the web one card and receiving a phone call on the other card. Or being reachable on two phone numbers at the same time. (I have one SIM card for my own business and a SIM card from a client I work a lot.)
    On my Samsung DUOS I can configure, how it should act, when I am busy with a phone call on one SIM, while somebody is calling on the other. (And many more different behaviors.)

And if I have understood it right, such a phone needs certain hardware in double (antennas, ports, ICs) or hardware / ICs, which support like dual channel, simultaneous use of two SIMs.

But I might be wrong.

So I am still hoping for some rebirth of (open)webOS and a beefed up Pre 3. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Hi Remy X:
    I did some web researched regarding Dual-SIM adapters. (Specifically for webOS.) However, when I understood those informations correctly, those adapters do not provide real Dual-SIM functionality but something like software switchable SIMs. With the adapter, one can "install" (squeeze) 2 SIM cards in a phone. But can still only utilize one SIM at a time.

What I need however, is real full dual-SIM functionality, with both SIMs active, hence running simultaneously.
    Eg browsing the web one card and receiving a phone call on the other card. Or being reachable on two phone numbers at the same time. (I have one SIM card for my own business and a SIM card from a client I work a lot.)
    On my Samsung DUOS I can configure, how it should act, when I am busy with a phone call on one SIM, while somebody is calling on the other. (And many more different behaviors.)

And if I have understood it right, such a phone needs certain hardware in double (antennas, ports, ICs) or hardware / ICs, which support like dual channel, simultaneous use of two SIMs.

But I might be wrong.

So I am still hoping for some rebirth of (open)webOS and a beefed up Pre 3. :-)
    Yes.

I didn't realize that you needed to use both SIMs concurrently... But what you've described (in terms of SIM-switching) is exactly what the person running two SIMs in a Pre2 said in his thread. It seemed to satisfy his requirements, but yeah, what you need can only be done by a specially-designed phone
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I really like the design of this concept - except it should also have a slide-out keyboard (like the Palm/HP Pre had, especially the Pre 3 had a nice one.)

I do know, that this is complicating the design like hell. A virtual keyboard can look as you want it to look and can be adjusted / changed by configuration.
    With a physical keyboard, you have to produce different version for each country or market with different keyboard layouts. Or, as it is with multilingual countries like Switzerland, even several keyboard layouts for just one (small) country! (Well we can live with those of other countries. From Germany for the German keyboard layout, from France for the French keyboard layout and from Italy for the Italian keyboard layout.)

But in the daily routine, those keyboards are just so great!
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    I really like the design of this concept - except it should also have a slide-out keyboard (like the Palm/HP Pre had, especially the Pre 3 had a nice one.)

I do know, that this is complicating the design like hell. A virtual keyboard can look as you want it to look and can be adjusted / changed by configuration.
    With a physical keyboard, you have to produce different version for each country or market with different keyboard layouts. Or, as it is with multilingual countries like Switzerland, even several keyboard layouts for just one (small) country! (Well we can live with those of other countries. From Germany for the German keyboard layout, from France for the French keyboard layout and from Italy for the Italian keyboard layout.)

But in the daily routine, those keyboards are just so great!
    I'd say the Tactus virtual keyboard overlay would work (it forms transparent physical buttons that dissolve back into the digitizer surface when no longer needed), if a "ringer switch" type mechanism were added to replace the physical action of the slider.

The possible downside is that the Tactus material is some kind of plastic, and i'm not sure that it would have the same hand feel as glass, which is crucial to the user experience of gesture-based UI. If the finger catches onto the material, as it does with urethane-based screen protectors (Zagg, etc), back and forward gestures can be a problem. Also, yellowing is a possible issue, such as for people who peel citrus-type fruits with their fingernails and forget to wash their hands... but again, having never seen the screen overlay in person, i'm just guessing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12