Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    So it looks like Kickstarter has funded another phone startup! ( Fairphone | A seriously cool smartphone. Putting social values first. ) Unfortunately, it will be running that other OS. No, not that one (IOS)! So if OpenWebOS was complete it too could be made to work on New hardware! See HP if the little guy can do it you could have made it work too with a little effort! Cmon LG give the people what they want. WebOS as many have said in these forums was ahead of its time. Now look at all of the imitators out there.

Just Sayin.... sigh....

First Report at Fairphone is going to be a real thing! : TreeHugger
    Last edited by JackisBack; 06/12/2013 at 03:50 PM.
    "To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."
    ~Michael Jordan

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    ~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
    Yeah I saw this and read it up. It was also very interesting to see they went around MWC to all the OS stands, Android, Sailfish, Ubuntu, Firefox and concluded that Android was the most complete and suitable OS available at the time.
    Possibly another missed opportunity for Open webOS =(
    its an MTK chipset based phone so its just like the cheapo but pretty good quality devices you can get from China Online Shop for Dropship and Wholesale, Buy Cheap Gadgets with Free Shipping! all their higher spec ones are pretty much identical in every way to the kickstarted one, imho its no better than one of those china imports , only "branded" and at a higher price, often much much higher.

i actually own a Dapeng 6" MTK based android phone, dual sim, blah blah etc and so on, its fine in every way (except the expected not so amazing wifi range but thats no big deal as i use on home wifi or tethered to my pre3) but most importantly its cheap, build quality is good, has a spare back cover with foldover facecover, 2x 3000mah batterys, all the usual trimmings etc.

im always surprised when i see something like this on kickstarter as you can import far far far cheaper from hong kong/china and their tech altho cheap is perfectly useable, for many it may be potluck but ive had phones/tablets and they have all not fallen to bits or anything bad.

in fact after 2mins of looking heres one the same size, similar specs at a fraction of the cost : UMI X1S 4.5" IPS MTK6589 Android 4.2 Quad Core 1.2GHz 3G Smartphone with 1GB RAM/4GB ROM/GPS/8.0MP - Black

here's a bigger 6" quad-core phone, faster, rest similarish specs, still cheaper : N7100+ Quad Core 3G Smartphone W/ MTK6589 1.5GHz 6inch HD Touch Screen Android 4.2 1GB+4GB 8MP Camera BT GPS WIFI - White

its worth looking around, theres a treasure trove of cheap/functional/big/small/feature/you name it, remember android phones are pretty much the same, these days the hardware doesnt matter that much once they all hit a functional level, the only difference to a cheapo import and a big name phone 2-3x the price will be the brand name and bundled software which often isnt worth the difference.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RumoredNow likes this.
    ok how did i manage a double post just from editing my post ¬ ¬ (now deleted thankfully)
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    im always surprised when i see something like this on kickstarter as you can import far far far cheaper from hong kong/china and their tech altho cheap is perfectly useable, for many it may be potluck but ive had phones/tablets and they have all not fallen to bits or anything bad.
    I think you didn't understand (or had a look at it) what the FairPhone is about: their aim is to develop a mobile phone designed and produced with minimal harm to people and planet. Have a look at their website or the Wikipedia article.

Anyway - regarding webOS the most important thing is whether there are open source drivers available for the phone's components (especially graphics, sensors and radio).
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    I think you didn't understand (or had a look at it) what the FairPhone is about: their aim is to develop a mobile phone designed and produced with minimal harm to people and planet. Have a look at their website or the Wikipedia article.

Anyway - regarding webOS the most important thing is whether there are open source drivers available for the phone's components (especially graphics, sensors and radio).
    you should also re-read, its not about "people and planet" its specifically for the chineese factory force and other parts fo the world where typical materials are aquired/funded, the bulk of whats involved doesnt affect the majority of the world or their population/environment.

if you want to aid chineese factory workers specifically then so be it, id imagine there are better ways to do it however, same applies to them not wanting materials/cash from mining typical smartphone mineral resources to end up in illegal armed forces hands, thats a very specific location/target, again aid in this area could be done another way.

Approaching these gimmicks in this way doesnt justify an expensive smartphone and id love to hear what peoples actual thoughts are regarding this project, if they think their helping "the world" their amazingly wrong and shortsighted.

if you read their information on materials mining for example, they are not currently using alternative means, their "researching" how to use alternative means while still using the not so great regular means in the meantime so currently as in "right now" there is no improvement for workers at all.

if they seriously just wanted to help miners and factory workers they should be a charity and actually get something done rather than use that excuse as a gimmick just to churn out another generic un-needed android smartphone.

and yes i did read all the information you linked too, my opinion is no different, i still dont see how their worth funding or why, the cheaper tech is still worth getting, and these people cant and wont magically turn-around conditions in china/elsewhere and they certainly arent going to help the environment in any noticable way, thats the harsh reality.

unfortunatly gimmicks are just sales strategies and look good on paper/webpages, their contacts page shows their based in the netherlands, you dont go all the way to china to make phones because its a great place to be, you go there because their goverment allows their workers to basically work like forced labourers for peanuts because they profit from it.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I think that they don't want to turn china/elsewhere around, but instead they try to use parts which are produced under fair conditions. Unfortunately this is - as you have already stated - right now impossible, especially in the electronic gadgets market. IMHO their goal must be seen as a long-term goal. At least they try to call attention to this problem.

It's like buying organic food vs. conventional (non organic) food.

At least this is what I have understood FairPhone is.

But on the other side you are also right, they don't sell organic food, they just pretend to sell organic food (because there's no organic food available right now). I think it's all about how open they are about this topic.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    I think that they don't want to turn china/elsewhere around, but instead they try to use parts which are produced under fair conditions. Unfortunately this is - as you have already stated - right now impossible, especially in the electronic gadgets market. IMHO their goal must be seen as a long-term goal. At least they try to call attention to this problem.

It's like buying organic food vs. conventional (non organic) food.

At least this is what I have understood FairPhone is.

But on the other side you are also right, they don't sell organic food, they just pretend to sell organic food (because there's no organic food available right now). I think it's all about how open they are about this topic.
    they are at the mercy of the chineese goverment or other likeminded foreign goverments however they wish to do things, what we see as bad or unfair working conditions is allowed over there, its the very reason why apple/hp and many many others use china to manufacture their devices, not because its best but because its vastly more profitable, in the uk/usa/other countrys there are such things as workers rights, minimum wage, health and safety in the workplace, this all costs cash.

Move their operations abroad to a country like china and these issues suddenly magically vanish, workers get virtually nothing, work insane shift hours or no extra pay and worst of all they get branded as "troublemakers" and arent employed at any other factorys who all work together to ensure no worker will complain or voice concerns about work conditions.

and best of all for companys liek apple/hp/tons more, its all legal, earns wads of cash, customers dont complain or even care because it regards a foreign country and what they want ends up cheaper, the only thing they would complain about is that these companys wont employ them in their own countrys to do the same job.

again, unfortunatly its an uphill battle that wont ever be resolved, the bulk of their work and marketing sounds more like charity/aid work which is probably why i personally dont like hearing it when their trying to sell smartphones using that as a convenient front.
    is this chinabuye.com place a safe and legit place to buy stuff? how long does it usually take to get things?

I've been thinking of buying a Nexus 4, but it looks like I could get something similar for far less.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    is this chinabuye.com place a safe and legit place to buy stuff? how long does it usually take to get things?

I've been thinking of buying a Nexus 4, but it looks like I could get something similar for far less.
    bought tablets and phones off them no issues, delivery times depends on customs, ive *heard* some of these sites try and use delivery means to avoid paying import taxes but thats not always possible, ive also *heard* some of the china/hong kong sellers on ebay do a similar thing.

remember their mostly knockoffs, id still find one you like then MOST DEFINATLY google/youtube the model/make as more often than not others ave taken the risk of buying to try and reviewing or showing, i mean at the prices you see why the hell not, i think in total ive got 6 assorted cheapo phones or tablets ive got just because their cheap and i could afford the pitance they ask for just to see if its ok.

They are esp good if you find/research good ones and hand them to children that tend to use tablets/phones as hammers/toys, if they break an ipad/expensive tablet/phone your likely to go insane, if they break a cheapo import, then meh, so be it, get another their cheap as chips.

it was esp funny when my sister/bro in law renewed their t-mobile contracts and got new LG phones, they liked the fact they were bigger than usual, thin, battery was better than their last phones, not much bezel/chunkyness, nice slim buttons, quad core etc etc etc, then i bought a cheap knockoff that was 6", nice and lrg, only single core but runs just as well, and looks just as tidy as theirs. Mostly tho they grinned when their phone dwarfed my pre3, i did enjoy seeing their faces drop when my cheapo phone dwarfed their new toys.

ref chinabuye, do your research if possible on youtube/google, or if no reviews/vids to watch get something you dont mind blowing cash on just to see what their like, even if its not your thing some are ok to palm off on kids/family
    Last edited by geekpeter; 06/14/2013 at 04:56 AM.
    Pricey, but then, how many phones are easily fixable & upgradeable?
    Fairphone 2: world's first modular phone goes on sale - BBC News
    https://www.fairphone.com/phone/

It's very likely that LuneOS could be ported to this.