• 1 Post By Rookie4sho
  • 3 Post By dkirker
  • 3 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 4 Post By boovish
  1.    #1  
    My ideas for a perfect WebOS phone v2:

What do you think? ;D
    Last edited by Nonononoki; 06/03/2013 at 12:20 AM.
    IMHO:

-Do away with the gesture area. Let's get LunaCE up and running on it so we don't need the gesture area.
    -6 MP rear? Make it either 5 MP or 8 MP (8 MP is better to keep up with the competition).

Other than that: I like it very much But is it gonna be a slab or? Because I would like a 4.3" screen if it's a slab. If it's not a slab than your 4" will do just fine.
    Well, if there's no keyboard then 4" would be the way to go.

I'd still prefer having a microUSB port or some other standard, not a magnetic one. The advantages are just too great!

"Autofocus" for the camera as well. And yeah, like Vistaus said, either 5MP (if a "large pixel" sensor) or 8MP (more current MP number, though can be noisy).
    Gesture area FTW!

I like your diagram :)

Looks like a Pre 4 actually, if Palm were to live on and update the Pre line...

On a unrelated note, my idea for the perfect off-the-shelf slab phone to port Open webOS to would be the Oppo Find5, which has a "gesture area" below the screen. With its current Android build, it is used for light-up capacitive buttons, but it should be possible to paint over the icons on the inside. What i would love to have instead, would be the standard, three LED notification bar....
    No gesture area? I like the back gesture...

Well... give me the Pre 3 with Flash Xenon and battery to two days without recharge. Is more than enough to me!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    ananimus likes this.
    Looks good, except go straight for a high end 8 megapixel sensor, gesture area is a must! And why not something like 4.3inch display at minimum? And why on earth would you want that magnetic connection rubbish, micro USB all the way!

I concur with "gesture area FTW!"
    geekpeter likes this.
    Perfect for me would be a Pre2 with the following:
    Processor/RAM/Battery bump,
    Front Skype camera,
    Focusing rear camera,
    USB OTG enabled out of the box,
    Updated WebKit
    Bootable to Open WebOS

I went with Pre in 2009 largely for the physical keyboard and still want that option and still want a pocketable phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Front Skype camera,
    Focusing rear camera,
    Updated WebKit
    Bootable to Open WebOS

I went with Pre in 2009 largely for the physical keyboard and still want that option and still want a pocketable phone.
    Half of those were addressed by the Pre3 or are you offended by the slight size increase? They were the main factors (apart from the age of my Pre-) that prompted me to chase around to get one as soon as it was launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Half of those were addressed by the Pre3 or are you offended by the slight size increase? They were the main factors (apart from the age of my Pre-) that prompted me to chase around to get one as soon as it was launched.
    I have yet to hold a Pre3, so I can't say that it is too big for sure, but I wasn't particularly looking for a screen size bump. Honestly, I think it is only my own inertia keeping me on Sprint at this point and I definitely would have given the Pre3 a spin if it had made it to Sprint.
    That said, I have no real complaints with either the Pre or Pre2 hardware-wise. I just wish the Hurd/Ruby vision of getting WebOS running on desktop hardware and getting it all working with connected WebOS profiles had come to fruition. If that had come to pass, I would happy as a clam with my Pre2s until the last backup unit crumbled to dust.
    I want a keyboard!!! :P
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    horzel, geekpeter and Rnp like this.
    I have yet to hold a Pre3, so I can't say that it is too big for sure
    It really is the best form factor that I have ever set into my hands. With the standard battery, it is not too thin and not too thick (I love the way the iPhone 5 *looks* -- it is art -- but it is too thin and sharp edged). I tend to like my phones thicker, so they fit well in the **** of my hand/palm, and the Mugen 2700mAh battery makes the Pre3 *perfect*. (I'm weird.)

I also am a fan of the WindsorNot's form factor.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Rnp, Grabber5.0 and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Gesture area FTW!
    Agree need Gesture Area
    Front Skype camera,
    Focusing rear camera,
    Updated WebKit
    Bootable to Open WebOS

Agree Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 size, up the processor to 1.5~2Gig with 2 Cores (saves on battery life, which app really needs 4 cores?), Ram should be around 1G, internal 16G (storage), with MicroSD up to 32G.
    Modem should be full world GSM (all GSM bands) and CDMA dual Verizon/Sprint LTE compatible.
    Auto focus Front 2-3.2 MP and back 8-10 MP cameras with Mic's...
    USB OTG, with removable cover for battery replacement...

Only other thing dual speakers (had full duplex speaker on my old LG phone vx5300) one of the best sounding MP3 players I have (from a phone that is, without headphones)...

Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I have a Pre3 too, big for me does not fit in pocket well, also app scaling is not perfect stay with Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 Screen size, could up the colors but it is a phone...

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I want a keyboard!!! :P
    Yes Slider keyboard... like Pre/PrePlus/Pre2/Pre3/Veer... No cheesy virtual keyboard will do...

Of course inductive charging...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 06/03/2013 at 03:22 PM.
    bbito likes this.
    Kinda surprised to see others who like the the Pre2. I have never seen a pre3 but I assume it would be a little long with the slider open

Just a pre2 with better battery life would be fine with me. LTE wouldn't hurt either. Don't care much about camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    IMHO:

-Do away with the gesture area. Let's get LunaCE up and running on it so we don't need the gesture area.
    -6 MP rear? Make it either 5 MP or 8 MP (8 MP is better to keep up with the competition).

Other than that: I like it very much But is it gonna be a slab or? Because I would like a 4.3" screen if it's a slab. If it's not a slab than your 4" will do just fine.
    NO! We need a gesture area!
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    ananimus, Rnp, xandros9 and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    It really is the best form factor that I have ever set into my hands. With the standard battery, it is not too thin and not too thick (I love the way the iPhone 5 *looks* -- it is art -- but it is too thin and sharp edged). I tend to like my phones thicker, so they fit well in the **** of my hand/palm, and the Mugen 2700mAh battery makes the Pre3 *perfect*. (I'm weird.)

I also am a fan of the WindsorNot's form factor.
    Amen! I also agree. Having just gone through a new round of "what's my next phone," I still think the Pre 3 is the perfect size/shape. A spec bumped Pre 3 would be super duper!

Have you posted pics of the Pre 3 with big-**** battery anywhere? Love to see it. (Edit: then I found this http://www.webosnation.com/review-mu...l-battery-pre3)

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I have never seen a pre3 but I assume it would be a little long with the slider open
    That's actually true. The Pre 2 I could easily reach the top whether the slider is open or closed. The Pre 3 is *just* long enough that it starts to become a stretch. It's manageable, but literally *any* longer and it would be super annoying.

(How the do people live with these 5" devices?! Especially with Android having notifications in a pull down instead of webOS's dashboard at the bottom?)

Still, the extra size added with the crazy resolution are worth it for the comfy improvement in browsing. Dense pages are very comfy in landscape.
    Last edited by ananimus; 06/03/2013 at 07:57 PM.
    like Pre 3 with bigger screen