View Poll Results: What Hopes for New webOS Hardware?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • HP reverses their position and releases webOS devices again

14 12.84%
  • LG capitalizes on their new OS purchase and redesigns the OS around brand new hardware

47 43.12%
  • LG tests the waters by making a version of webOS that can be flashed to the Nexus 4

31 28.44%
  • WebOS Ports succeeds in their efforts and Open webOS runs on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7

61 55.96%
  • A major OEM uses Open webOS as a base for a new line of devices

24 22.02%
  • A Chinese "me too" factory uses Open webOS with their own drivers to offer webOS powered devices

31 28.44%
  • PIC (or someone) skins the webOS UI on top of Android

21 19.27%
  • Something else the OP didn't think of

20 18.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    Which of the poll choices do you hold out hope for? Vote for as many as you like...

Discuss the pros and cons of each.

Rank the choices with odds... (might be a fun game.)

Please, let's remain civil. These are akin to daydreams at this point. No need to belittle the dreamer while we have a discussion of the merits.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    TheStigOnline likes this.
    Nice list

In terms of HP, i doubt we'll ever see anything there. They gutted Palm of its patents and from the looks of it are 100% done with webOS.

As for LG, from what we can all gather, their mobile division is a pretty autonomous entity, so we can't expect them to take the first step towards testing and/or playing with webOS. However, there's been many instances where companies have commercialized employee "hobby projects", and this includes Mazda and Google. So, who knows what's actually going on inside the company.

With Android being so freely available, i doubt Chinese OEMs will want the hassle of making Open webOS complete and workable, so i think for the most part the responsibility falls back to us, people like the Internals and Ports teams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Nice list

In terms of HP, i doubt we'll ever see anything there. They gutted Palm of its patents and from the looks of it are 100% done with webOS.

As for LG, from what we can all gather, their mobile division is a pretty autonomous entity, so we can't expect them to take the first step towards testing and/or playing with webOS. However, there's been many instances where companies have commercialized employee "hobby projects", and this includes Mazda and Google. So, who knows what's actually going on inside the company.

With Android being so freely available, i doubt Chinese OEMs will want the hassle of making Open webOS complete and workable, so i think for the most part the responsibility falls back to us, people like the Internals and Ports teams...
    Right. I expect to see webOS on LG TVs...but not mobile devices. I also expect we'll see bootable versions on the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus eventually (though, by the time the latter is ready for daily use, I suspect the Nexus 4 will be on the way out).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirThoreth View Post
    Right. I expect to see webOS on LG TVs...but not mobile devices. I also expect we'll see bootable versions on the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus eventually (though, by the time the latter is ready for daily use, I suspect the Nexus 4 will be on the way out).
    With a quad core krait and 2GB RAM the Nexus 4 is pretty future proof for more than a year. The GNex is more hardware than webOS ever saw in the past for a phone....

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    With a quad core krait and 2GB RAM the Nexus 4 is pretty future proof for more than a year. The GNex is more hardware than webOS ever saw in the past for a phone....
    there are very few games verging on none on the PC that can actually utilise "all" the horsepower from CPU/GPU in todays gfx cards and processors etc, that doesnt seem to stop the many out there from buying the newer stuff not because they get better results but because its "new", technically nothing is future proof in the geek world.

Just look at iphone sheep, even if the newer fruity phones offer very little changes hardware wise people still flock to have the "new" phone because they dont want the "old" stuff.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Right now, webos is dead. I hate to say it but it is. The only thing left for it is a dead cat bounce.

The only thing that will work if the ACL is installed in some budget phones that some people who do not know the difference between an Android and iPhone get suckered into buying it or some major company goes for a big push with it. Neither is going to happen.

Right now, one wish I would have is if LG decided to offer a dual boot or an alternate rom for their phones you can install instead of android. That would be cool. They would only need to write the drivers and a install file.

Anyways, why does my opinion. I am just a fly on a wal.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    AKA Preluva likes this.
    All i have to say so far is that if webOS is going to get off the ground (or maybe out of the ground), we're probably going to need one heck of a defibrillator.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I can't remember if PIC were trying to do a webOS skin on Android or Android in a card, but I'm kind of assuming (without any actual knowledge) that the ACL project would make those ideas moot. I mean, how many ways of putting webOS and Android together do you need? ;-)

PIC aspire to make new hardware, so could that option be added - just to see if anyone thinks it could happen?

My suggestion has been that in the event of a successful port, they could buy a bunch of the 'target' handsets and resell them with Open webOS onboard & their own ACL thrown in of course! But that's just me talking...
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    All i have to say so far is that if webOS is going to get off the ground (or maybe out of the ground), we're probably going to need one heck of a defibrillator.
    ...and those things will cause your battery to explode - it's a no win situation! ;-)
    xandros9 likes this.
    I have some faith that Open webOS will be something sweet with a bit of time. Beyond that...?

Don't let me stop the day dreaming though. Hell, maybe we could roll our own super expensive prototype Pre 4's at some point!

Attached Images Attached Images
  11.    #11  
    Just about 23 hours into the poll... 31 voters. I'm sure it's going to slow down. LOL

Here's a snapshot:

31 voters, with 76 votes. 2.45 choices per voter. So several of the Faithful (what other word applies so well?) can envision more than one path for webOS to reenter mobile...

WebOS Ports succeeds... Open webOS runs on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7... 22 votes. The community loves you and you are a reason the Faithful have so much Faith!!!

LG... redesigns the OS around new hardware... 13 votes. This would be ideal to me, but all indications are that LG isn't ready to advance webOS into the mobile market that boldly/quickly.

A Chinese "me too" factory uses Open webOS... 11 votes. Have you looked at the sites? Apple and Android knockoffs abound. Production Capacity 50,000 units per day and we will logo the device for you. There are a lot of these businesses over in China. webOS has a very large Chinese following. How long till one of them wants to try going against the stream to gain market share? Synergy, anyone? Or maybe a webOS fan with deep pockets who wants into the market...

LG tests the waters... webOS... flashed to the Nexus 4... 7 votes. This scenario seems more likely to me than new hardware. It costs LG little, risks no new production lines being tied up and prevented from producing mainstream handsets. It would create some buzz in the press and curiosity among consumers. Nexus 4 will be ending it's "current" status this fall in most likelihood and the commitment to Google for production would end. LG would be in a good position to make this happen fairly rapidly with some closed source drivers.

A major OEM uses Open webOS... 7 votes. Someone is going to crack. Samsung dominance of Android is costing others a lot of money.

PIC skins the webOS Ui on top of Android... 7 votes. Convergence might be a better way to get the UI back out there and in the hands of people rapidly. Custom launchers are hot right now in Android land.

HP... releases webOS devices again... 5 votes. WOW!!! I almost didn't include it on the list. It seems a foregone conclusion HP will never take up webOS again unless it becomes an area where they can follow rather than lead. Still, I see posts where members want HP to take up where they left off...

Something else RumoredNow didn't think of... 4 votes. And why not? I'm spit balling here and certainly am not omniscient. What might I not have thought of? List your ideas (if any), please.

And here's one I thought of, but forgot to include in the poll: Former Palm/HP executives and engineers form a new company to produce hardware based on Open webOS. I really meant to include this one. Feel free to vote on it in your posts and I'll include it in the tally along with any other ideas stated explicitly.

PIC produces new hardware dedicated to webOS has been stated (but not voted for?)...

Last edited by RumoredNow; 05/31/2013 at 12:36 PM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    i would be happy with 4k 60" webOS tv. Really, I don't care if it lags a little
    on mobile side of webOS, I would be happy if LG helps pushing gfx driver issue and help webOS ports team in their efforts.
    Why do people want it on Nexus devices? I'd rather the Droid with the slide out keyboard. Its perfect
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    Inexpensive, great hardware, and unlocked for use on most (if not all) GSM carriers.
    ... With two year os upgrade support at least.
    INexpensive there... here is expeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeensive that hurts...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirThoreth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    there are very few games verging on none on the PC that can actually utilise "all" the horsepower from CPU/GPU in todays gfx cards and processors etc, that doesnt seem to stop the many out there from buying the newer stuff not because they get better results but because its "new", technically nothing is future proof in the geek world.

Just look at iphone sheep, even if the newer fruity phones offer very little changes hardware wise people still flock to have the "new" phone because they dont want the "old" stuff.
    Right, future proof in terms of the software it will be able to run. Not the "gotta-have-newest" syndrome.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Why do people want it on Nexus devices? I'd rather the Droid with the slide out keyboard. Its perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    Inexpensive, great hardware, and unlocked for use on most (if not all) GSM carriers.
    LG owns the hardware for Nexus 4. They make a lot of the components in house and would own the drivers. They could licence or develop the rest needed, one supposes. LG owns the code to legacy webOS and has taken much of the remaining webOS staff from HP onboard. The investment needed is almost complete, aside from time, some licensing fees and developer/engineer salaries.

How does Motorola come into it? With a huge outlay of cash and licensing a rival's tech? It would be more likely to get an unsanctioned ROM to a Motorola device via hacker mod.

This makes a thought resurface that I had last night...

How much would it cost to get HP to recognize a new device for webOS cloud services? I wonder what fee they would want...

I'd like to see 3.1 on an N4 with full cloud connectivity.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 06/02/2013 at 11:57 AM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    How much would it cost to get HP to recognize a new device for webOS cloud services? I wonder what fee they would want...

I'd like to see 3.1 on an N4 with full cloud connectivity.
    Maybe just spoof the WindsorNot...

Once we get a hang of how the devices communicate to the HP servers, it would be possible to use Touchpad's profile version requests and change the device name...
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Maybe just spoof the WindsorNot...

Once we get a hang of how the devices communicate to the HP servers, it would be possible to use Touchpad's profile version requests and change the device name...
    Well I'm wondering how big of an impediment it is for any future releases that want to be 100% legitimate and usable "out of the box."

Mobile Nations Devotee
  20.    #20  

4 days into the polling... 49 voters with 119 votes. 2.43 votes per participant which is a very slight decline in vote ratio...

WebOS Ports succeeds... Open webOS runs on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7... 29 votes. Nearly 60 % of respondents... No pressure guys, we are waiting patiently.

LG... redesigns the OS around new hardware... 22 votes. Nearly 45% of respondents. The community seems to be embracing a future with LG.

LG tests the waters... webOS... flashed to the Nexus 4... 15 votes. Just over 30% of respondents. Further proof the community is looking to LG as this idea has moved up the ranks.

A Chinese "me too" factory uses Open webOS... 15 votes. Just over 30% of respondents. Holding steady in the stack rank. There is a huge electronics manufacturing capacity in China.

A major OEM uses Open webOS... 12 votes. Just under 25% of respondents. Will a dark horse entry (like HTC) bring back physical qwerty?

PIC... skins the webOS Ui on top of Android... 9 votes. Over 18% of respondents. Is this still an interim goal of PIC on their way to bringing dedicated hardware to webOS?

Something else RumoredNow didn't think of... 9 votes. Over 18% of respondents. Ideas wanted and needed... Thanks.

HP... releases webOS devices again... 5 votes. Just shy of 16.5% of respondents. Old habits die hard...

Also mentioned but with no official write in votes:

Former Palm/HP executives and engineers form a new company to produce hardware based on Open webOS... 0 votes.

PIC produces new hardware dedicated to webOS... 0 votes.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast